Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L.A. Times: All Red Meat is Bad page

triangulum33 is offline Junior Member

L.A. Times: All Red Meat is Bad

Shop Now
    What to make of this story? The article doesnt discuss the how's or why's, just that there is a correlation with red meat and shorter lifespan.

All red meat is bad for you, new study says - latimes.com

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by triangulum33 View Post
    What to make of this story? The article doesnt discuss the how's or why's, just that there is a correlation with red meat and shorter lifespan.

All red meat is bad for you, new study says - latimes.com
    I'm not going to click the link provided, because I'm thinking it's using the same study posted all over the boards. Also, plenty of debate over the study, itself, throughout.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Yay, more beef for me! That's about all the thought I've given on the entire issue.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member
    My grandma ate a "meat and potatoes" diet and lived to 106!
    Last edited by Sunnivara; 03-14-2012 at 12:01 PM.

elektro is offline Member
    Does anyone have an actual explanation for why this article is wrong? My guess is that the red meat people are eating is grain fed, loaded with antibiotics and growth hormones, and cooked in canola oil, ect. But does anyone have a better explanation than just a guess?

My concern with eating Paleo has always been whether we are eating the exact animals our ancestors ate, and also whether they had the abundance that we do now. Did our ancestors have the ability to eat a 3/4-1lbs steak several times a week, or was that a once a month kind of thing? Did they fast a lot more because there was no food available for long periods of time? Even if they ate a lot of fat, was it anywhere close to the quantity of fat that we are able to eat now? That's the kind of stuff that I'm still skeptical about with eating Paleo and always wonder if I should tweak that part of the diet to not overdoing fat and red meat intake?

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elektro View Post
    Does anyone have an actual explanation for why this article is wrong? My guess is that the red meat people are eating is grain fed, loaded with antibiotics and growth hormones, and cooked in canola oil, ect. But does anyone have a better explanation than just a guess?

My concern with eating Paleo has always been whether we are eating the exact animals our ancestors ate, and also whether they had the abundance that we do now. Did our ancestors have the ability to eat a 3/4-1lbs steak several times a week, or was that a once a month kind of thing? Did they fast a lot more because there was no food available for long periods of time? Even if they ate a lot of fat, was it anywhere close to the quantity of fat that we are able to eat now? That's the kind of stuff that I'm still skeptical about with eating Paleo and always wonder if I should tweak that part of the diet to not overdoing fat and red meat intake?
    There are aprox. 4 other threads on the same article with a lot of discussion. There are problems with the type of analysis, the processed meat eaters in the study were heavier drinkers, smokers, and heavier. Sugar and other known heart disease triggers were not factored in etc....but that is from gleaming info from the other threads.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

activia is offline Senior Member
    Actually I think its the 6th or 7th thread
    Red meat & mortality & the usual bad science
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineC View Post
    Yay, more beef for me! That's about all the thought I've given on the entire issue.
    Indeed

patski is offline Senior Member
    Bring on MOAR BEEF!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Denise Minger just posted a counter article on the front page, lengthy read, but it's something she discussed at the Paleo Summit: bad science/studies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast