Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whey Protein page

samiamm is offline Senior Member

Whey Protein

Shop Now
    What is everyones' take on whey protein as far as health goes. I just bought this Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard™ Delicious Strawberry - OPTIMUM NUTRITION - GNC yesterday (one with the least carbs)

I'm just using it to drink a shake at school and get my grams of protein in, I don't really believe in that "window of opportunity after your workout" bs, I just thought it might be a healthy form of protein for me to substitute some meals with.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Depends on how much you wanna geek out on the subject.

Emerging Health Properties of Whey Proteins and Their Clinical Implications

Or if not that much you could just say it is fine. Use as needed.

Jreyes2265 is offline Member
    Well, if you use it as it's intended to be used..."as a supplement" you'll be fine. Just make sure you're moving around often, lifting heavy and being primal as much as possible. Next time though find better protein, with less artificial and preservatives.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

samiamm is offline Senior Member
    What else is out there that is better? OP is known for having the most protein and least preservatives, so what other kind of protein powder would you recommend?

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member
    There probably not much gain to be had from spending mental energy deliberating over different brands. If you are primal, whey is fine, its one of the better dairy products, just don't over do it. Just my opinion
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Grixx is offline Junior Member
    A serving of whey is assimilated in 1-2 hours. Produces quite a large insulin response as well. If your goal is to "get protein in" Casein, whole egg, and beef, would be better isolated sources. Otherwise whey really only proves beneficial post workout.

You can also take the KISS approach and not give a damn about what source the protein is coming from, especially if you're an average joe. Not really sure what your goals are.
    Last edited by Grixx; 03-21-2012 at 11:28 AM.

hebdan is offline Junior Member
    Whey protein is a mixture of globular proteins isolated from whey, the liquid material created as a by-product of cheese production. Some preclinical studies in rodents have suggested that whey protein may possess anti-inflammatory or anti-cancer properties; however, human data is lacking.

miami weight loss

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Is it preferable to get the daily protein intake from real, whole foods? Sure.

But, if that's not attainable for some people...or at least not attainable RIGHT NOW, then getting some protein from Whey powder is better than not getting adequate protein at all or worse yet eating crap instead of having a Whey shake. I wouldn't advocate drinking these 24/7, but occasional use to get the protein number where you want it isn't the end of the world.

Try to find as clean a source as possible, avoiding the brands with 27 items in the ingredients list and added sweeteners/fake sweeteners. But, as another post suggests, don't agonize over the decision too much.

Ideally, if the "massive insulin spike" is a concern, then restrict using Whey to post-workout when raised insulin is not as concerning and in some case can be helpful in obtaining an anabolic state to promote building muscle.
    Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
    Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

maarin is offline Junior Member
    Whey protein is the ultimate source of protein! It's the highest quality of protein available.HIGHER PROTEIN PERCENTAGE. Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard has always been a leader in this respect. Now with 24 grams of protein in just slightly over a one-ounce serving (see supplement facts), its nearly 79% protein by weight!

johneeeveee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by maarin View Post
    Whey protein is the ultimate source of protein! It's the highest quality of protein available.HIGHER PROTEIN PERCENTAGE. Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard has always been a leader in this respect. Now with 24 grams of protein in just slightly over a one-ounce serving (see supplement facts), its nearly 79% protein by weight!
    Although I understand your point, wouldn't you say that MOST isn't always associated with what is best for us? I sometimes think we look at macro (and micro) nutrients that we need, and somehow believe that concentrated, isolated versions of them will give us "super" health or results. I know some may disagree with me, and this is just my experience and opinion, but i feel that whole foods give us all the nutrients we need, and more importantly, in ratios and proportions our body can more readily utilize for health and recovery. Protein seems to be the nutrient that the athletic and muscle building world will always believe is beneficial in very high doses, even when clinical studies have shown more health issues from too much rather than too "little".

Just my 2 cents, for what it may be worth to you - jv
    Last edited by johneeeveee; 03-28-2012 at 05:22 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast