Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coconut Oil Not That Healthy? page

PrimalKev is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb Coconut Oil Not That Healthy?

Shop Now
    The health benefits of coconut oil are mentioned almost everywhere. Since changing to a Primal diet about 7 months ago, I've been eating a lot of coconut oil. Basically cooking with it three times a day and occasionally snacking on a tablespoon (or two). I'm sure coconut is healthy, but my conscious at one point (as when anytime I am eating a single food in large amounts), was telling me that too much of it is probably unhealthy. There are two incidences that led me to wanting to get a better understanding of if coconut oil is as healthy as everyone is shouting on the rooftops.

The first one is when I reintroduced olive oil into my diet. At first, and even now, I basically gorge down the stuff, the same as when I'm craving a particular food and my body is telling me to eat more of it. This led me to realize that eating all different types of healthy fat (saturated, monounsaturated, polyunsaturated) is probably important. How important is it to eat both saturated and monounsaturated fat and in what quantities?

The second incidence is related to a post I just read, stating that coconut oil is a MCT (medium-chained triglycerides). With further Internet searching, I found something that would explain why I am having a very difficult time keeping and putting on weight.

"...as a source of medium-chain triglycerides (MCT), coconut oil isn't stored in the body as fat as readily as oils composed of long-chain triglycerides (LCT). Some research from McGill University in Canada suggests that this is true; MCTs also boost metabolism and satiety, and therefore may promote weight loss when they replace LCTs in the diet."
    What I am wondering is, are different kinds of fatty acids (short-chain, medium-chain, long-chain) all equally important? Also, is there any truth to the above quote?

I do eat lots of grass-fed meat, some chicken, olive oil and will soon be rendering some tallow; but I would really like to know in what quantities coconut remains healthy, as well as get a deeper understanding of the different kinds of fats and fatty acids.

Anyway, I hope this stimulates thinking and good conversation.

Kev

activia is offline Senior Member
    Honestly, I think you are over analyzing... coconut oil is great, bpa is not. Just make sure you get coconut oil that is not in a bpa can. Vary your diet, exercise, have fun, reduce/manage your stress then you'll be good
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure about coconut oil specifically, since my body doesn't really like it. But I have to agree that when I eat too much of a certain food or eat it for too long, I tend to not want it.

When I started making ghee, I craved it ALL the time. I was eating an embarrassing amount Then one day, I started not wanting it. Suddenly olive oil tasted amazing again. Now I just try to mix it up and use some of each.

I was also on a huge pork kick for a while. Then one day, it tasted like crap. Now I am back to beef and fish.

I think variety is important for me. Especially since I don't eat enough organ meat (I do eat some)
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

wren is offline Member
    One of the many books I purchased while researching primal/learning my way was The Coconut Oil Miracle. Might be worth a read if the library has it... FWIW
    I do have all of the PB books - and then some.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Why don't you mix it up a bit by using butter, lard, ghee and other sat fats, especially while it's still cold? I love coconut oil, but as I head into winter I'll get more of my fat from animal sources.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Coconut oil is the ONLY oil I cook with. But consider all the other sources of fat in a primal diet: eggs, meat, chicken, nuts, avocados...I'm sure not going to worry about it.

PeaceCorpsCaveMan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    Honestly, I think you are over analyzing... coconut oil is great, bpa is not. Just make sure you get coconut oil that is not in a bpa can. Vary your diet, exercise, have fun, reduce/manage your stress then you'll be good
    Do you mean coconut milk?

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wren View Post
    One of the many books I purchased while researching primal/learning my way was The Coconut Oil Miracle. Might be worth a read if the library has it... FWIW
    I do have all of the PB books - and then some.
    Next on the reading docket, thanks!

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    When I started making ghee, I craved it ALL the time. I was eating an embarrassing amount Then one day, I started not wanting it.
    The same thing happened to me with... bulletproof hot cocoa. Tired of chocolate. Maybe because bp cocoa is a winter drink and now it's springtime?
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

badbunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    The same thing happened to me with... bulletproof hot cocoa. Tired of chocolate. Maybe because bp cocoa is a winter drink and now it's springtime?
    Hmmm now that sounds nice..
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast