Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doc says I'm at a high risk of heart attack - need dietary advice page

tomi is offline Senior Member

Doc says I'm at a high risk of heart attack - need dietary advice

Shop Now
    Just got home from the doctors. She said my blood tests indicate I have a high risk of having a heart attack. I went off my cholesterol meds 2 months ago - with my doctors blessing - because I wanted to see if eating primal would correct my obviously stupid liver! (I've been on statins since I was 30 - I'm now 51) Eating low fat and keeping my weight in a healthy range never worked so I've been on meds for 20 years. But, apparently my liver doesn't care that I'm eating healthy and its still kicking out the cholesterol as fast as it can make it! My overall cholesterol is 272, LDL is 191 - HDL and Triglycerides are both good at 64 and 88 respectively. But the problem is she did a CRP (c reactive peptide) test - and that was 4.5. Its a number that indicates inflamation in your arteries (I think). So, she said with the combo of the 2 tests I need to make some major changes in my life or I might have a heart attack.

She said continue eating paleo/primal, eat only healthy fats, get 3 gms of good quality fish oil daily, avoid alcohol, and get my weight down to a healthy place. I've been working on losing weight but its coming off rather slowly. I need to lose about 50 pounds.

So - any advice? I was wondering if I should cut out the bacon and eggs for breakfast - but then, what do I eat? A protein shake maybe? Should I cut back on red meat? Eat more seafood?

Changing my diet to primal has eliminated my fibromyalgia symptoms by 80% --- I'm totally sold - but obviously I need to tweak some things to make it work. I can't do the whole fitness part of PB because I have fibromyalgia - I have to pare things down. I've been walking 2-3 miles a day, and biking about 8-12 miles a week. I'm 51 and female if that matters.

thanks..........

activia is offline Senior Member
    Listen to this series, and you'll get all the info you need:
    Chris Masterjohn on Cholesterol and Heart Disease (Part 3)
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    (I've been on statins since I was 30 - I'm now 51) Eating low fat and keeping my weight in a healthy range never worked so I've been on meds for 20 years... I'm 51 and female if that matters.
    I think you should talk to your Doctor about getting off statins. As I understand it, statins have ZERO proven benefit for women.

I remember seeing someone point out a lipitor ad where they had to put a disclaimer that it is not proven to reduce the risk of heart attack or death. Then why the hell would you take such a powerful drug, with so much potential for side effects? (directed at lipitor commercial...not you personally)

I'm certain your Dr. will argue with you, but do some reading and you'll find this over and over again.

Also, I don't know if you're taking COQ10, but that is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED by lots of experts for anyone on statins as they apparently deplete your body of it. Since you've been on them for 20 years, if you haven't been keeping up with this, you could be asking for trouble. Apparently Ubiquinol is the best source, but I haven't actively researched this, just come across it in passing.

I need to conclude this with my usual disclaimer on this type of topic. I'm not an expert or medical professional of any kind. I'm just a dude that reads a lot and am only suggesting reading on the subjects listed above.
    Last edited by NWPrimate; 03-13-2012 at 06:05 PM.

wren is offline Member
    I stopped my statin too when the script ran out - and haven't yet been to see my dr again (kind of cringing at what she'll say). Unfortunately, I've not been a great primal person - slipped too many times, sometimes too far - so I am concerned about what my new #s will look like.
    But I sure don't want to go back on statins again...I won't.

Linny is offline Senior Member
    I think since it's been just 2 months you need to give yourself some more time to heal. You could have had non alcohol fatty liver disease that is correcting itself. What were your numbers before going off statins? What was your CRP before primal? I would try not to stress, keep on doing what you're currently doing and re-test cholesterol and CRP in 4-6 months. I also imagine the fibro would cause an elevated CRP but not sure. After 6 months of Primal my fibro symptoms have dramatically improved. Good luck.

Linny is offline Senior Member
    I also wanted to add that I was reading over at Dr. William Davis' blog and he mentions that a high CRP could be caused by wheat and carb consumption and vitamin D deficiency. Are you taking any Vit D?

peril is offline Senior Member
    If you're going to treat your maladies with lifestyle rather than medicine, then you have to stop framing the questions in terms of medicine. Western medicine says TC>200 is bad. So what? They haven't actually proven it. Lots of evidence points to traditional societies routinely having higher numbers and no suffering from the diseases of western civilisation.

You lipids all look good. No need to do anything about them. But your doctor is right in that the inflammation is an issue. So you need to focus on your diet being antiinflammatory. I would cut out nuts and dairy for a while and see if that makes a difference. Perhaps keep fruit to a couple of serves a day at most. If that brings down the CRP then you can look at reintroducing one at a time to see which is driving the CRP. Maybe also remove the processed meat (ie bacon) in favour of unprocessed meat. I also favour getting fish oil from fish, even canned fish. Green tea, red wine, cocoa, turmeric are highly antiinflammatory.

BTW, this is how I keep of the meds, including statins
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Dave RN is offline Senior Member
    Give it time. You've got years of damage to heal. Take ubiquinol, 200mg/day. Get your Vitamin D level measured. You must know where you are starting from. Suppliment to get it to in the 50's-60's. Generally each 1000U will get you 8-10 ng/ml increase. Suppliment to that level and retest in 3 months. Also start taking either K2 or get
    BLUE ICE™ Royal Butter Oil/Fermented Cod Liver Oil Blend and NEVER use vegitable oil. Ever. Never. Or wheat. Not evena little.
    Sorry that cut and paste came out funny...
    Anyway the above is my opinion and what I would do. I've been primal for 6 years and my CRP is .1. That's point one.

wren is offline Member
    Good reminders about fish oil and Vit D - I used to take them and forgot somewhere along the way (oops!).

captaineight is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    So - any advice? I was wondering if I should cut out the bacon and eggs for breakfast - but then, what do I eat?
    I simply stunned at at the gross misinformation I hear in this place sometimes. No offence intended, but this is an absolute no-brainer. To lose weight, you have to cut calories. Bacon and eggs for breakfast is not a good way to cut calories.

I've only been back for a few days, and it's becoming increasingly obvious that people think paleo is a "weight loss diet". What? Paleo is a guide to eating healthy foods. Weight loss or weight gain is dependent on calorie intake. If you eat a lot of paleo food, you'll gain weight. If you eat a little, you'll lose weight. If you go somewhere in between, you'll maintain your weight. For a lot of people, simply switching to paleo, either by accident or design, results in them eating less calories, and they lose weight. Great. But don't be fooled into thinking it's not a calorie deficit doing the trick. There's nothing magical about eating paleo that makes you lose weight not matter what quantity of food is consumed. If that was the case, our ancestors would have been continually losing weight until there was nothing left of them.

I've posted this in another thread, but I'm going to repost it here by way of example, because I think your situation is particularly important (health related). This is my diet plan. I don't mean you should follow this exact plan, but I recommend you make something similar yourself. The tools you will need are a pen, paper & calculator (or a Excel spreadsheet).

A good website for discovering the calorie, protein and carbs contained in various foods is this one: CalorieKing - Diet and weight loss. Calorie Counter and more

A good online calculator for discovering how many calories you should be eating is this one: Estimated Calorie Requirements

(eat 500 calories less than what it says you use in a day).

Here is my example. Good luck.

FYI, the three days where I have gatorade and extra protein are my workout gym days.

diet-plan.jpg

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast