Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reducing treat-related harmful effects page

VTmeetsMontréal is offline Senior Member

Reducing treat-related harmful effects

Primal Fuel
    ...the science behind reducing the harm of a high carb treat? I remember reading somewhere that if you're going to eat something carby, make sure you eat it with a lot of fat (not often, obviously as that combination defines the SAD diet).

I could be completely wrong about this, but if I am, could someone explain how to reduce the harm (or insulin spike) if you ever do decide eat something bad?

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    You could eat an orange instead. Or some chocolate. Plus if you're having off-plan "treats" often enough that they interfere with your success, you just need to buckle down and use some fortitude.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

activia is offline Senior Member
    or lift weights or sprint before hand
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

I'm not having a treat, I'm just wondering because I remember hearing that somewhere.

raney is offline Senior Member
    You're correct that high fat would mitigate the insulin spike caused by a high glycemic food, by slowing digestion. I wouldn't recommending using this as a crutch, as the combination of the two is a great way to gain subcutaneous fat; not to mention the other potential issues if the sugar in question is a grain.

Anecdotally, I can say that I feel a hell of a lot better after a pint of ice cream made with whole milk, cream, and a boatload of sugar - than I would if I ate a fat free sugar product like gummi worms. I don't get the same face-flushing insulin rush.
    Last edited by raney; 03-13-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by raney View Post
    You're correct that high fat would mitigate the insulin spike caused by a high glycemic food, by slowing digestion. I wouldn't recommending using this as a crutch, as the combination of the two is a great way to gain subcutaneous fat; not to mention the other potential issues if the sugar in question is a grain.

Anecdotally, I can say that I feel a hell of a lot better after a pint of ice cream made with whole milk, cream, and a boatload of sugar - than I would if I ate a fat free sugar product like gummi worms. I don't get the same face-flushing insulin rush.
    Thanks for the response! I was always curious where I heard that and how accurate if could be considering we are always told that fat + carbs = body fat. I guess keeping the SAD food as close to "natural" as possible would be the best bet.

*gasp* someone else that loves gummi worms?
    Primal since March 2011

raney is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    *gasp* someone else that loves gummi worms?
    *nods*

*nods*
    have to say this has always been my biggest addiction.

When I was about 8, I started sucking on those cry babies.. to see how tough I could be hahaha. It made me develop this taste for sour that is just unbelievable. Then every weekend my dad had me I would get sour straws (ever had these??). The addiction began, my mouth starts watering just thinking about it...still.. although its much much less then it was before I went primal. Sour gummi worms would be my next fav, but sour straws..still nothing beats it.

My substitute? Grapefruit, it works pretty well.. the flavor is similar...especially since sweets taste so much sweeter to me now.
    Primal since March 2011

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What kind of 'harmful effects' are you referring to? Do you mean fat gain specifically, or overall bad health consequences like inflammation/immune response

OVERALL HEALTH: eat something sweet/salty/sour/starchy (whatever flavor/texture you're craving) that's a real food. For example, if you want a little sweet treat, have some fruit.

FAT GAIN: taking a big carb hit in a glycogen depleted state means those carbs will get stored as glycogen, not fat (up to a point, at least). Having your 'cheat' after first ensuring that you've eaten your requisite protein for the day may help you to require less 'cheat' food to be satiated, and having the 'cheat' in the context of IFing is likely to help minimize/burn off fat gain (at least for you lucky dudes with higher maintenance calories. Us petite ladies don't have as much leaway).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast