Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Dietary Supplement Safety Act page

elbohead Guest

Primal Fuel

I'm just now reading about this. Does anyone know anything about this bill? I'd love to hear what PBers think. Will post again once I read more.

DebFM is offline Senior Member

From what I understand, the gist of it is to make many dietary supplements (even things like fish oil and vitamins) available by prescription only, hence only pharmaceutical companies can make them. Herbs and nutrients (like co-enzyme Q10) will have to be tested, etc (again, who can afford to do all this testing - big pharma). This subject comes up about every 7 - 10 years.

There's rumors that the FDA may try to do this same thing with handmade soaps, creams, salves, etc. Not cool.

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member

My understanding is you can sell just about anything and call it a "dietary supplement" and it's the FDA's job to investigate and show there's something wrong with it after the product is on the market... no prior approval is required thanks to a law passed by Orin Hatch of Utah. Not surprisingly, Utah is one of the largest producers of dietary supplements... Hmmmm. But dietary supplements are considered "food" not "medicine."

Interestingly, Cheerios (General Mills) recently had to change the slogan they had on their boxes which said something about promoting heart health and lowering cholesterol, because that put Cheerios into a "medicinal" category, rather than "food" category according to the FDA. http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/WarningLetters/ucm162943.htm

I believe McCain is trying to add some prior approval to supplements so you don't get crap in a capsule marked "weight loss" not knowing what the "Proprietary blend" on the ingredients is.

So which is worse? Not regulating supplements that could be harmful, or regulating everything under the sun?

There's a great documentary called "Bigger, Stronger, Faster" that touches on this. Very well done Doc, I'd recommend it.

ToddF Guest

Barryman: I agree on "Bigger, Stronger, Faster". Well worth the time to watch.

Here is some information on what McCain is wanting to do with his bill.

http://www.jbs.org/health-care-freed...egulatory-bill

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

Already wrote letters. Already signed petitions. The facts are pretty visible in this situation, the pharmaceutical companies want the mass amounts of money coming from the herbal/supplemental industries. That is why many of them have also been purchasing supplement branches as of lately.

This isn't about safety, nor is it about your well-being, this is about money. Money and power. It's sad that they think Americans are just going to sit back and take this.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member

A.S.

Ah-ha. I had a feeling McCain wasn't doing this in the interest of safety. I'm also reading that McCain is trying to use the death of pitcher Steve Bechler as a war cry for regulating supplements. The amount of press coverage of the MLB "hearings" regarding "performance enhancing drugs" cannot be denied. Why not try to use America's pastime again to gain some media attention.

Besides petitions, letters, informing people... The best thing you can do is buy organic, buy supplements.

It's funny how people think the only vote that counts is the one they cast in november... You vote every single day with every dollar you spend. Not calling out anyone here, just in general.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

AlexK is offline Junior Member

I don't like this, but it's hard for me to get worked up about it. SOME reform of supplements are needed, because many supplements do not provide the dosage that the claim or are even MADE of what they claim they're made of.

I try to get all my nutrients from food so I don't need supplements. Do a little research and you'll be surprised. Did you know that strawberries are a good source of iodine, for example?

Primal you're entitled to not use or use them, and I do agree we should be eating wholesome organic foods. But, Im not going to sit back and allow the pharmaceutical companies take over supplements like Monsanto and the other 4 have done to grains.

This country was built on FREEDOM. And every time some company or industry trys to take another right away, it's an insult to this country and all those who served and died for it.

I come off as extreme, but that's because I see no positive to this. We have too many harmful drugs already on the market, more deaths coming from pharmaceuticals, and they wanna tackle herbs? Why don't we focus on getting our troops home safely, securing jobs for families that are being destroyed by the economy, and getting America back. Then maybe we'll talk about herbs and whether they are dangerous or not.

This isn't aimed at you or anyone in specific, well besides the senators supporting the bill.

annadragon is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

It ain't the gummits job to keep me safe from dietary supplements or my food. We've already seen the harm that has been caused in the farming industry with this type of crony capitalist regulation.

I've not read the legislation but in my opinion any regulation that comes out of Washington will have "unintended" consequences that essentially takes away the consumers freedom to choose.

You don't know what's in that proprietary blend, contact the company. They don't want to tell you, don't buy their product. I understand not every consumer will do this but it isn't the governments job to use my taxpayer dollars to do this for consumers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast