Thread: i need your help!! page

weathergirl is offline Member

i need your help!!

so i am arguining with this CW moron. she posted an article about how red meat causes cancer and heart disease. needless to say we were going back and forth. i told her not to be afraid of natural grassfed beef yada yada yada. she told me she would believe me if i could come up with one scientific paper that says that red meat is in fact good for you and loaded with nutrients. please help me! give me some resources that are science based because if i refer her to this site she will just say it isnt scientific and whatever. please!!!!

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes, it's not worth it to argue with someone who's as entrenched as the person you're describing. But, I may start cruising around my school's academic sites/journals. I also suggest books by Cordain, or Wolfe (my friend said Wolfe puts forth the science behind Paleo).

Aliophile is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps you could just refer her to this site. I think the multitude of success stories speak for themselves. But then, primal is more than red meat - protein of all kinds is consumed. Maybe if you did eat nothing but red meat you'd be in trouble. But that's not really what we do.

Sometimes it's best NOT to argue with people who are convinced they're right and have closed their minds. You have more power just walking away.
    || 2/28/12 || 5'6" || 144 lbs ||
    My goals: 125 lbs, 27" waist, fat-free, shapely, muscular legs
    AND to be able to do my very first pull up!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    There are a couple of thread on here where there is some discussion on this article. But I wouldn't suggest arguing. The data does sort of support what she is saying, but there were multiple confounding factors that were likely not properly controlled for.

While they did try to control for it, the meat eating group had more smokers, age less veggies, were more overweight, and exercised less than the group that ate less red meat. So it is tough to really know if the meat was the only factor.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    I ended up just telling people like this to do their own research. I decided it wasn't up to me to convince them I was doing the right thing. its just not worth the stress.

weathergirl is offline Member
    i know im not going to convince her. she is just a typical sheep. if npr says its true it must be true. and the sad thing is is that sh is a scientist. i found a finnish study that found that eating grassfed beef actually lowered cancer. but that wasnt good enough for her.

TimWix is offline Junior Member

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by weathergirl View Post
    so i am arguining with this CW moron. she posted an article about how red meat causes cancer and heart disease. needless to say we were going back and forth. i told her not to be afraid of natural grassfed beef yada yada yada. she told me she would believe me if i could come up with one scientific paper that says that red meat is in fact good for you and loaded with nutrients. please help me! give me some resources that are science based because if i refer her to this site she will just say it isnt scientific and whatever. please!!!!
    This will be the recent scare that Gary Taubes has blogged about.

She wants science, Taubes is a top science journalist -- "He has won the Science in Society Award of the National Association of Science Writers three times and was awarded an MIT Knight Science Journalism Fellowship for 1996-97".

Science, Pseudoscience, Nutritional Epidemiology, and Meat

If she takes no notice ... well, if that, she doesn't want to know, and "science" is just a word to her ... or perhaps a rhetorical club to hit other people with without caring what it's really about.