Thread: Good beef or chicken in Alaska?? page

ashleyinalaska is offline Junior Member

Good beef or chicken in Alaska??

I just started the shift to a Primal Lifestyle a few weeks ago and am LOVING it. I feel so much better! My problem is, I live in Homer Alaska which is literally the end of the road. Like, one road and a 4-5 hour drive to Anchorage, our "big city." There's a Safeway and a small Costco type store here, and that's it. I'm lucky to have a lot of personally caught wild salmon and halibut, and plenty ground wild venison, but I really want good high quality beef and chicken once or twice a week! And eggs! So, Alaskans... where do you get your meats and eggs from? Any local or raw dairy?

otzi Guest
    I'm in Fairbanks. I gave up on trying to find good chicken or beef. I usually shoot a moose, raise my own chickens for eggs, and get lots of salmon. You should be able to find someone selling fresh eggs down there. If I get a hunger for beef or chicken, I just get whatever is on sale at Freddy's or Safeway. All the good seafood and moose you eat will offset the few meat-meals a month you might eat from Safeway. If I lived in Homer, I would definitely learn how to dig clams! Plus, you have a pretty good climate for gardening.

ashleyinalaska is offline Junior Member
    Very good points. I should go clamming sometime! We eat tons of shrimp and oysters, but I haven't done the clams yet. We don't have much space for gardening here because we rent, but I will be doing some greens and chives in pots on the deck again. They worked well last year! Now, to find eggs in Homer. Everyone I contact that had them no longer does. I just may have to stop worrying about the bears and wolves here on the hill and get my own chickens!

Girleegirl is offline Junior Member
    I live in Palmer. My husband bought 1/2 cow from the experimental farm out here. It was the toughest piece of meat we ever had and the fat was rancid. The only way we could eat it was in stews or, LOL. He cursed it every time we tried to eat it. We were told later it was an old cow. Anyway Costco is the only place we can find organtic chicken or beef and we are in the middle of what is left of any kind of farm.
    My husband hunts moose and caribou, moose is better.
    Guess we have to settle for fish and wild game.
    I've seen farms in Homer up the hill away from the water (many years ago) and I thought there was cattle on them.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    I'm in anchorage, though used to live in Homer. I get my eggs from the backyard. If you go that route, I strongly advise the use of electric fences. I think there are a few grazing operations at the end of east end road, out on Fox R. Flats, at least there were. Last fall I got 1/2 beef from a family on Kodiak that annually takes orders and harvests wild cows from Sitkinak Island. The meat has been tasty and tender. I have coworkers who get beef from a guy in Palmer and should compare notes on taste and texture. The cost was comparable. Rgarding raw dairy, I know there is at least one guy in Wasilla that does goat milk shares (as the means for getting around sale of raw dairy). I would have to think someone is doing something similar on the southern Peninsula. Good luck and good eating!

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Girleegirl View Post
    Guess we have to settle for fish and wild game.
    I'm confused. How is that "settling"? Wild game and fresh caught fish and shrimp pulled straight from the ocean - my god - those are 100 times more primal than even the most organic beef and/or pork.