Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK question - is beef tallow same as dripping?! page

newlife77 is offline Member

UK question - is beef tallow same as dripping?!

Shop Now
    Hi all, I always remember my parents saying how they used to mop up dripping with bread () but haven't heard of it in years until I came across the term "tallow" and wondered if this is the same thing?

I've found an online farmer that sells Beef Dripping (2.99 for 500g!!! May investigate making my own!) and it advertises it saying it's lovely on roasted veg etc.... Do you think using this to cook things would make things taste "beefy" or just provide a good source of tasty fat?!

Thanks!
    H x
    An English girl who's been on lots of different diets, weight gone up and down but always been a naturalist at heart and have always wondered why "Conventional Wisdom" diets don't allow you to eat red meat and nuts - that are purely natural things?! So feel I've found my niche in the PB/Paleo Lifestyle and really want to make this my way of life for good!!!

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Both

What I mean is, tallow is the pure fat, whereas dripping still has some meat juices in it (literally whatever drips off the roasting meat). I've had dripping that is almost pure tallow, and dripping that has a decent layer of jelly underneath

Who's the farmer?

Oh ok, thanks, makes sense!! So where does Suet fit into this equation then?!

Here - they're up your way, not sure they deliver to me this far south but found it via the Weston A Price Foundation website - this farm are exhibiting at their London Exhibition that's this weekend about 5mins up the road from me but not sure I can afford to go at 60 a ticket!!!

H x
    An English girl who's been on lots of different diets, weight gone up and down but always been a naturalist at heart and have always wondered why "Conventional Wisdom" diets don't allow you to eat red meat and nuts - that are purely natural things?! So feel I've found my niche in the PB/Paleo Lifestyle and really want to make this my way of life for good!!!

forgot link!!!

Grass Fed Beef - Fordhall Farm

H x

caveman josh is offline Member
    Just make sure its not homogenized before you go and consume large amounts. If its spreadable but sturdy there is a chance it has been.

Baloo is offline Senior Member
    Try the supermarket:
    Beef Dripping

Suet is unprocessed beef fat (typically a motherlode found around the kidneys). I asked my farmer for the kidney fat last time I stocked up on beef. Chop it up, pop it in a large pot, put the flame on low and render yourself some beef tallow, skimming out the "cracklings," or beef solids. You could use suet for cooking if it were minced finely enough or ground (I've seen it called for in pie dough recipes), but tallow is a very good cooking fat, very stable, stores well, no impurities, won't go rancid under high heat.

Thanks for all your help!! Didn't know Tesco still did dripping!!

I think I need to get a bit friendly with a local butcher then and see if I can get this fat for free!!

I used to eat Suet Pudding as a kid - kinda like a sponge cake made with suet instead of butter and it was always so nice - but back then it would be smothered in syrup too!! I know it was also traditionally used in old favourites such as "spotted dick" etc which were then steamed to keep them moist...mmmm!!!

I knew this Primal lark would mean learning a lot of new things but could never have imagined just how much I was gonna have to re-educate myself, lol!!!

H x

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Morrisons do good beef dripping in a plastic tub.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure I saw in on sale at Waitrose too (would have been some time ago).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast