Thread: New, and seeing the wisdom of the system. page

basketcase is offline Junior Member

New, and seeing the wisdom of the system.

Shop Now
    At 59 I seem to have been doing most all the primal blueprint stuff somewhat intuitively, with the exception of carbs, which have been a regular part of my diet. Over 40 years of competitive basketball still playing and not sure why I have not crapped out with injuries like nearly all players my age, I am sure part of the reason is this lifestyle. Meat and salad, or other vegetables has always been my favorite meal, not many carbs, no fear of fat, naps, shorter intense workouts (hoops is perfect) and an absolute inability to go to the gym to for hours to put in the time on machines....YUK. So it is very validating to have discovered all this info about a month ago.

The genetic basis of it all is fascinating and explains a lot. My issue is, where is the compelling need to cut out carbs? Six foot five, 185 lbs, no gut, in fine shape doing what I am doing. Biggest potential problem is heart issues, too many apparently fit people have coronaries. I am thinking this is because of their cardio mania, but appreciate any links and will search for stories of similar conditions to mine.

Dave aka basketcase

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    It looks as though you're healthy, Dave. I'd flirt with white rice, and sweet potato (skin peeled), if wanting to reintroduce typical carb sources into your diet. I'd say, get a good pull up bar, and do some of the workout programs listed, by Mark. Also, stress/lifestyle plays a big role. Since you said you were up for nap time, I don't see how it'd be a hard transition for you to take things a little slower. Welcome aboard!

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Keep on doing what you are doing Dave. Sounds perfect. I agree that hoops are excellent sprint exercises.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
    At 59 I seem to have been doing most all the primal blueprint stuff somewhat intuitively, with the exception of carbs, which have been a regular part of my diet. Over 40 years of competitive basketball still playing and not sure why I have not crapped out with injuries like nearly all players my age, I am sure part of the reason is this lifestyle. Meat and salad, or other vegetables has always been my favorite meal, not many carbs, no fear of fat, naps, shorter intense workouts (hoops is perfect) and an absolute inability to go to the gym to for hours to put in the time on machines....YUK. So it is very validating to have discovered all this info about a month ago.

The genetic basis of it all is fascinating and explains a lot. My issue is, where is the compelling need to cut out carbs? Six foot five, 185 lbs, no gut, in fine shape doing what I am doing. Biggest potential problem is heart issues, too many apparently fit people have coronaries. I am thinking this is because of their cardio mania, but appreciate any links and will search for stories of similar conditions to mine.

Dave aka basketcase
    I see no reason to cut carbs.