Thread: Paleo Cooks help me decide! page

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member

Paleo Cooks help me decide!

Shop Now
    I am teaching a free paleo cooking class sponsored by our local grange and farmer's market and I am having a hard time deciding what to offer. After careful consideration I have decided to include 3 almond flour recipes; crackers, chocolate chip cookies and muffins. I almost never eat these things but DH said he thought they would be helpful for those transitioning to a paleo diet.

Here's the dilemma for me: Paleo is all about eating meat, vegetables, fat, fruit and nuts. This time of year our farmer's market doesn't have much in the way of veggies, mainly greens. I want to feature things from the market (the almond flour recipes only use eggs from the market) so it really comes down to a meat recipe.

We have grass fed beef, pork and lamb at the market. I make a really good slow roasted pork shoulder, DH votes for that. I would have to pre-cook it and give the recipe in the class. My concern is that a lot of people don't eat pork. Then there is beef..... so many yummy things one can do with beef.

Beef or Pork? Any favorite quick recipes?

I have to decide on the meat by this Thursday because that's when I have to purchase the meat.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    i would vote to keep it simple. from top to bottom. showcase the ingredients. nothing too fancy. let people know that eating real food is simple and delicious. maybe lay off the almond flour recipes too. nuts are such a small part of eating paleo, and truth be told, they're pretty much omega 6 bombs. but cw-type people love their sweets. and things like that would help people transition. so maybe just do the cookies. as for the greens, are we talking things like colards, beet greens, kale, etc? because things like that can be easily sauteed in bacon fat with onions, garlic and a little balsamic. or maybe do some kale chips.

how many people will you be cooking for/teaching?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I suggest beef, because of the reason you specified - people who do not eat pork. I suggest the simplest fried beef with a dipping sauce and a side of a salad. This way people can appreciate the taste of grass-fed beef, and it is not drowned in the sauce, and you have greens on the side with a light drizzle of a dressing.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I wouldn't say A LOT of people don't eat pork. I know strict Muslims and Jews do not, but I think in general people eat plenty of pork. And you can't go wrong with pork shoulder (or as we call it down south, Boston Butt).

Hmmm. As for beef...Beef heart was the first thing that came to my mind because I love it and it is delicious. But I doubt it would be a crowd pleaser, lol. How about beef kabobs? Yes, I was still thinking of heart (anticuchos), but you could do it with just a steak cut (sirloin).

Anyway, I vote for keeping it simple and not pushing the almond meal too heavily, if at all.

I was thinking the exact same thing about the greens, cooking it with bacon, onions and balsamic.

Maybe I will ditch demonstrating some of the almond flour recipes and just have them on hand for folks to take if they want them.

I wish I knew how many will be in the class but since it's free and offered during the farmer's market, which is held in the grange during the winter, there is no telling who will show up. If people smell food cooking and it's free they will definitely wander in.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Garlic studded hunk of cow rubbed with herbs and more garlic (I use olive oil, I guess farm butter'd be better in this case), greens sauteed with bacon and a little bit of onion (no balsamic needed),if someone there makes juices or wine, make a pork glaze from that.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

I don't really want to promote eating almond flour but a lot of people can't imagine not having a baked good. Having one recipe like a muffin might be the thing that makes them think they could eat paleo, I know this was the case with my brother. The people that attend our farmer's market are a slight twist on the CW types, most are aging hippies and have been or are vegetarians.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    How about egg muffins then? You said there are local eggs available? And they are good cold, and thats' where teh bacon and greens can both meet as well?
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    How about egg muffins then? You said there are local eggs available? And they are good cold, and thats' where teh bacon and greens can both meet as well?
    That was my first thought, we make these weekly.

Oh decisions!