Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying to IF, can't seem to do it, what gives?! page

fatisyummy is offline Member

Trying to IF, can't seem to do it, what gives?!

Shop Now
    After seeing how much success it seems that people have with IF, I wanted to try it. I thought maybe working up to fast-5 would be good. Or at the very least, trying to skip breakfast. I've gotten to the point where all I can do is think about food. My diet is very clean, I just eat too much and I am gaining weight as a result. I'm 5'3, 125lbs and it keeps creeping up. Somehow, this time last year I was a good 15lbs lighter!

Typical day has been:

B: 3-4 eggs in butter, cream in coffee
    L: salad, leftovers
    D: Meat + veggies (I can put away up to a lb of meat, though, no problemo), sometimes sweet potato (god I could eat 5 lbs of them if you'd let me)

I do track, and it generally comes out to 1400-1800 calories/day. C/F/P ~80/110/110. I've tinkered with more fat, more carbs, etc., but nothing seems to reign in my constant obsession with food and wanting to eat. I'm sick of thinking about it all of the time!

I've pretty much cut alcohol and even my occasional ice cream. I started by just trying to cut breakfast, but by 10 I want to eat so bad I cave and have coffee with cream, then my lunch, etc. I'm not sure why I can't just tough it out for a few days, but in my head I come up with reasons why I just need food; I'm tired, grumpy, lethargic, can't concentrate, etc. Anyone got tips?

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    I had the same problem in the past. I feel for you, ugh....

Have you tried drinking some hot tea/water when you start obsessing?

If you are feeling obsessive about food, eat. Fasting is not supposed to be stressful. If you don't enjoy it or it is too inconvenient for your life, I wouldn't advise it. I'd say stick with your 3 meals/day schedule.

The only thing about your typical day meals I would suggest is to add some veggies with breakfast. How long does it take you to feel hungry after a meal? Describe that hunger feeling.

What do you do for exercise? How often do you exercise per week?

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatisyummy View Post
    After seeing how much success it seems that people have with IF, I wanted to try it. I thought maybe working up to fast-5 would be good. Or at the very least, trying to skip breakfast. I've gotten to the point where all I can do is think about food. My diet is very clean, I just eat too much and I am gaining weight as a result. I'm 5'3, 125lbs and it keeps creeping up. Somehow, this time last year I was a good 15lbs lighter!

Typical day has been:

B: 3-4 eggs in butter, cream in coffee
    L: salad, leftovers
    D: Meat + veggies (I can put away up to a lb of meat, though, no problemo), sometimes sweet potato (god I could eat 5 lbs of them if you'd let me)

I do track, and it generally comes out to 1400-1800 calories/day. C/F/P ~80/110/110. I've tinkered with more fat, more carbs, etc., but nothing seems to reign in my constant obsession with food and wanting to eat. I'm sick of thinking about it all of the time!

I've pretty much cut alcohol and even my occasional ice cream. I started by just trying to cut breakfast, but by 10 I want to eat so bad I cave and have coffee with cream, then my lunch, etc. I'm not sure why I can't just tough it out for a few days, but in my head I come up with reasons why I just need food; I'm tired, grumpy, lethargic, can't concentrate, etc. Anyone got tips?
    *sigh* Must admit.. There are these mints at work, they aren't primal but are <5 cal <1g of sugar and they do the trick for me if I'm having this problem.

You can also try bulletproof coffee..

The day before you fast make sure you get enough good carbs, and calories overall.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

chia is offline Senior Member
    what about if you tried this;

have a light breakfast after FIRST thing in the morning moderate cardio of some sort.

Lunch: Large..your biggest meal of the day...

Dinner: light, as early as possible..say 5 pm if possible?

then NOTHING until breakfast the next day. Depending on your sleep pattern, that could possible be a 14-16 hours fast. Glucagon levels will be increased to burn fat.

Thanks for the feedback.

I should say: I always want to eat, not necessarily always hungry. I recognize that my stomach isn't gnawing for food, I just want to eat.

My exercise consists of training for aerial silks and dance. The aerials is pretty strength oriented.

I just wonder if my body is missing something and that's why I always want to eat. I had hoped that IF would fix this for me, but so far I can't even really get myself on a schedule for it.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Have you tried taking medium chain triglycerides or drinking real coconut milk alone while otherwise fasting? It will make you warm, generate heat and ketones, and burn evenly for many hours. Not a true fast, but it sure sets up the environment for some solid ketosis from what I understand.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

VTmeetsMontréal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Have you tried taking medium chain triglycerides or drinking real coconut milk alone while otherwise fasting? It will make you warm, generate heat and ketones, and burn evenly for many hours. Not a true fast, but it sure sets up the environment for some solid ketosis from what I understand.
    How do you get medium chain triglycerides ?

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    This is intriguing. I love all things coconut, and I have been putting coconut oil in my coffee (in addition to the cream). I might try more.

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatisyummy View Post

I should say: I always want to eat, not necessarily always hungry. I recognize that my stomach isn't gnawing for food, I just want to eat.
    Yep, that was me! Check out Beck Diet Solution. It helped me. There's no restrictive diet plan or anything. It takes work but it was soooooo worth it for me. Good luck!

Knifegill is online now Senior Member

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast