Thread: The Oiling of America page

theotherkim is offline Junior Member

My husband and I recently watched Mary Enig and Sally Fallon's The Oiling of America lecture on DVD (Weston A. Price). We're both already well acquainted with the importance of natural fats and the toxicity of vegetable oils and man-made fats, and we found the lecture to be incredibly thorough and fascinating. It will definitely get your blood boiling.

One thing Sally said really shook me up, though. Of course, she talks about the lipid hypothesis and how dietary cholesterol does not cause heart disease. But then she claims that "damaged/oxidized cholesterol found in powdered milk and powdered eggs" (i.e. protein powder) WAS likely to be one of the causes of heart disease. I love a protein shake once in awhile, so I have a large stash of powdered whey protein and powdered egg protein, which I've use in shakes as well as in baking on occasion. Ug. I'm afraid to use the stuff now.

I was wondering if others have heard of this too. I'm a big fan of many of the WAPF's teachings, but I also respect the work of Mark Sisson and the Drs. Eades, who both promote the use of protein powder. What do you think?

Katt is offline Senior Member

Yes... I think I read something about this recently, on one of the other blog sites. There is, apparently, something with milk protein, casein, that could be carcinogenous. However, the other milk protein, whey, is apparently just the opposite and helps in healing and the whole food shouldn't be a problem.

There's another substance involved, however. I think it was at Free the Animal that I read this.

http://freetheanimal.com/2010/02/the...arb-forum.html

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

elbohead Guest

I have WPF bookmarked and visit often. I was "introduced" to Sally and Mary when I watched Tom Naughton's "Fat Head" and was impressed enough with their take on the lipid hypothesis to visit WPF to see what else they had to say. I had not read anything regarding whey protein, but am also concerned. I have been drinking protein shakes (complete with the raw egg which certainly can't contain oxidized cholesterol) almost daily since reading "The 6 Week Cure" by the doctors Eades.

Kasey is offline Member

"complete with the raw egg which certainly can't contain oxidized cholesterol"

But then blending the egg would oxidize it. Blending or cooking oxidizes food, so blending or cooking foods containing cholesterol would oxidize the cholesterol no? I wonder if that's a problem. I don't know how they can say oxidized cholesterol causes heart disease, then recommend cooked eggs. I may be completely wrong but exposing a food to air or heat, oxidizes it.

elbohead Guest

Good point Kasey. I'll be watching to see where this thread leads.

Just blending egg oxidizes it? I've never heard that before. According to Sally Fallon, it's the high-heat processing and dehydrating process that damages the cholesterol content of the milk/egg protein powder.

I finally found a mention of this on the website, in Mary Enig's essay The Skinny on Fats:

http://www.westonaprice.org/The-Skinny-on-Fats.html

"Cholesterol is not the cause of heart disease but rather a potent antioxidant weapon against free radicals in the blood, and a repair substance that helps heal arterial damage (although the arterial plaques themselves contain very little cholesterol.) However, like fats, cholesterol may be damaged by exposure to heat and oxygen. This damaged or oxidized cholesterol seems to promote both injury to the arterial cells as well as a pathological buildup of plaque in the arteries. Damaged cholesterol is found in powdered eggs, in powdered milk (added to reduced-fat milks to give them body) and in meats and fats that have been heated to high temperatures in frying and other high-temperature processes."

And in the essay Dangers of Statin Drugs: What You Havenít Been Told About Popular Cholesterol-Lowering Medicines, they say to "Avoid reduced-fat milks and powdered milk products (such as powdered whey); they contain oxidized cholesterol, shown to cause irritation of the artery wall."

Okay, I just found a reference to the idea that beating eggs causes oxidation. Apparently, this is the belief of Dr. Mercola, but Sally Fallon disagrees.

http://www.westonaprice.org/The-No-Grain-Diet-by-Joseph-Mercola.html

"Beating or whipping eggs does not damage the proteins or cause the cholesterol to oxidize, as Mercola has suggested."

Kasey is offline Member

"Damaged cholesterol is found in powdered eggs, in powdered milk (added to reduced-fat milks to give them body) and in meats and fats that have been heated to high temperatures in frying and other high-temperature processes."

Seems fishy to me. She admits openly that frying will damage cholesterol and that this is harmful to your health, but she has plenty of recipes for omelets and seared steaks in her book. So noone here is frying their eggs? Searing their steaks?

"Beating or whipping eggs does not damage the proteins or cause the cholesterol to oxidize, as Mercola has suggested."

I don't see how it would NOT oxidize. Ever cut an apple open and watch it brown within minutes if not seconds of being exposed to air? That's oxidation and it's a rapid process. The very act of beating an egg is rapidly exposing each particle in that egg to oxygen. Same with blenders. Blenders only work because air is being sucked into the center creating a vortex. Everything in that blender, the longer it is left in there, is being oxidized.

I'm not saying that the oxidization of all foods is extremely harmful, or even possible to avoid. But if she is claiming that oxidized cholesterol is harmful to humans, I don't see how she could recommend fried eggs, or fried anything containing cholesterol for that matter.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

I do believe there was a post on this... because I was asking about it a lot.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/whey-...er-supplement/

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

jkilbane is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

The oxidized cholesterol would be in powdered whole eggs. Cooking egg yolks is completely fine. Just dont use powdered WHOLE eggs at all. Egg white powder is fine. Sally Fallon writes about it in Nourishing Traditions.