Thread: Newby page

Joara is offline Junior Member

Newby

Primal Fuel
    I'm going to start off with a question. If I lost down to 150 pounds, at 5'3 what size pants range could I possibly fit in. That being said most of my weight is in my belly and thighs. I am currently at 225, so don't like saying that but its the sad truth. Two kids, an un-active lifestyle, and absolutely no portion control to blame.

My biggest problem has been with carbs. I love pasta, fast food, hardly ever sweets-except when readily available. I do like meats, veggis, and fruits, I just tend to go after the others first. This is day two on my decision to pretty much totally eliminate pastas and breads...only allowing rice since it is earth born so to speak. Still debating if I want to give up corn though...my favorite veggi. As far as exercise I'm going to start off walking.

Any advice?

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Have you read the free e-books, offered by this site? I'd start off by reading those. First thing catching my eye was the fact corn is a grain, not a vegetable. Also google archevore - another good primer on Paleo/Primal. Walking is a good start, and I would get off rice, momentarily, until you get your weight down (considering your height).

I had read somewhere they were changing the category for corn. Its a shame I could live off that vegi. Will I hurt myself restricting almost all carbs and grains. I know I'm bound to consume some in some form or another.

Nelle is offline Senior Member
    Welcome!I'm a newbie too but I've been doing some extensive reading for the past week or so before deciding to commit. I am 5'3" as well and I suspect at 150lbs you could fit into approx a size 8-12. It depends on brand, where you carry your fat, muscle, etc. If you are looking for "goal pants" I suggest a size 8.

About corn-- from what I've read, corn is virtually useless. It's just sugar and starch but no real healthy proteins, vitamins, or "good carbs." I agree, it's quite yummy! If you are not ready to give it up quite yet, start cutting back. Some people find that when they eliminate corn and other starchy useless grains, they feel better. Feel better meaning more energy, better sleep because they do not have this starch to spike the blood sugar only to crash a little while later. Much like eating a candy bar.

But at this point, the carbs you should focus on giving up are "man-made" garbage like chips & boxed food, grains like rice, and wheat foods like bread, pasta. Choose good carbs like plenty of veggies (spinach, asparagus, broccoli, peppers), fruit (apples, strawberries, blueberries, tomatoes), lots of lean meats (flank steak is my fav!) and good fats like olive oil, avocado.

Good luck and come back here when you need support!

I actually went the whole day with out any pasta, bread or grainy food. For me that is a huge accomplishment. I even made egg muffins for breakfast in the morning with bacon, onion, tomato, chopped brussel sprouts and well egg lol. Baked up 6 of them and already down to 3 after eating one, sharing one with hubby and dropping one .

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    That's a good first step! Most people go through the carb flu. For others, they don't experience its effects. I'd also up the fat intake a little more. Your carbs will come in the form of vegetables/fruits (but I'd be careful as to which fruits, due to glycemic index/load).

My smoothie the last two mornings had cranberries and blueberries and cherry yogurt...yuck, today I added strawberries and peaches to the cranberries and blueberries and left out the yogurt.

I have lost 5 pounds in the two days since I started. No pasta or grains over the last two days, last night was my last diet coke. I did have one piece of cake last night, in my defense to get it out of the house and away from temptation.

I made some egg muffins with home made sausage, spinach, and tomatoes. They are really good and after just eating two I feel full. The water is helping to. The only reason I ate my salad for lunch today was because the sausage gave me heartburn.