Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Butter/oil in coffee??? page

Candy in Wonderland is online now Senior Member

Question Butter/oil in coffee???

Shop Now
    I've seen in several journals about people drinking coffee with butter or coconut oil in it??? Is this as a substitute for milk/cream? I usually drink my coffee (espresso, we have an espresso machine) black. Is there another reason to put butter/oil in coffee? And how's the taste? I'm getting quite curious now
    My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
    My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
    Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
    Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

jakey is offline Senior Member
    whether you use butter or cream, it's pretty much the same concept - fat calories in the morning in the absence of protein or carbs. coconut oil is a slight change because the type of fat, lauric acid, is particularly ketogenic.

chooky fuzzbang is offline Junior Member
    I've tried this. The problem is the purity of the oils means they float on top of the coffee rather than get emulsified in the coffee the way a cream does. You get a sharp shot of coconut oil or butter with that first sip. It's not unpleasant but I don't see any benefit over cream (healthwise) so I just use cream.

jhc
    jhc is offline Senior Member
    However, if you blend coffee with coconut oil, the result is not unlike a latte, complete with some foam.

Candy in Wonderland is online now Senior Member
    If I understand it correctly it can be used when 'skipping' breakfast/IFing? I mean, I usually have a coconut milk smoothie for breakfast, so I think I don't need to add any more fat to my coffee, right? But if I'd like to IF I could add some fat to my coffee this way (blending it rather than just adding it).

Thanks for your answers! There's still so much to learn
    My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
    My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
    Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
    Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member
    When i'm on a fasting day I usually blend a spoonful of clarified butter into my coffee in the morning, the hot drink often helps with any hunger pangs I may have, and the fat obviously helps. Besides that, it is DAMN TASTY.
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

SeanM is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, you have to blend it. I use a stick blender and the cup that came with it. Usually a tablespoon each of butter and coconut oil, blended until it's nice and creamy. It sounds weird, but I have a cup of that in the morning and I'm usually not hungry until dinner. And even then, not all that hungry.

Rattybag is offline Senior Member
    I usually melt the butter and heat the cream together in the microwave before adding the coffee. That way the butter doesnt separate very much.
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    I just use cream. Same fat as the butter but easier to handle/less steps than butter. I try to IF 1-3 times a week now and the coffee really helps me get going and deal with my fasted mornings, dont really get distracted by hunger till close to noon.
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

PeaceCorpsCaveMan is offline Senior Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast