Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: barefoot running in watershoes?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Finger Lakes Region, NYS
    Posts
    181

    barefoot running in watershoes?

    Shop Now
    Has anyone tried barefoot running in watershoes? I have seen pairs that look like minimalist running shoes, and for far less $. I would like to give it a try, but not sure if I am out of my mind
    Quote Originally Posted by L8F View Post
    ... I drank the fermented koolaid, and am totally on board...

    I'm alergic to carbs - they make me break out in fat!



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Newark, Delaware USA
    Posts
    1,714
    No you are not out of your mind. I've read where a lot of people use water shoes. Only problem is the really cheap $7 or < ones you get at K-mart and such do not have very durable soles. I had considered that option, but then Merrell came out with their shoes. Teva has a nice water shoe called the Nilch. It's not cheap, but at $55, it's cheaper than a lot of other minimal running shoes.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    644
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabbecky View Post
    Has anyone tried barefoot running in watershoes? I have seen pairs that look like minimalist running shoes, and for far less $. I would like to give it a try, but not sure if I am out of my mind
    I've done it. It's not bad actually. It can get a little floppy- depending on the water shoe and the fit. It works pretty well though. I prefer just going barefoot, but for the "I will chew your feet into ground meat" type terrain, I love my Altra Eves.
    You could also try Invisible Shoes. They are pretty dang cheap and pretty great if you can get your lace tying down. I have a pair of those too.
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Finger Lakes Region, NYS
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynna View Post
    No you are not out of your mind. I've read where a lot of people use water shoes. Only problem is the really cheap $7 or < ones you get at K-mart and such do not have very durable soles. I had considered that option, but then Merrell came out with their shoes. Teva has a nice water shoe called the Nilch. It's not cheap, but at $55, it's cheaper than a lot of other minimal running shoes.
    YEah, the really cheap is right in my current price range ($10-15). I really want some of the other barefoot runners, but they are not cheap for someone with no income
    Quote Originally Posted by L8F View Post
    ... I drank the fermented koolaid, and am totally on board...

    I'm alergic to carbs - they make me break out in fat!



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Posts
    2,142
    water shoes are great. i wear a pair daily as my minimalist option for work. mine aren't great for running because my feet move around in them a lot, but if i had a smaller pair i would definitely use them for running. they are more barefoot than my merrells, and almost as good as my vibrams.
    you could also go barefoot. there's probably a lot of gravel left over from the snow, which can hurt, but if you keep an eye on the ground in front of you, going unshod is a good option.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Newark, Delaware USA
    Posts
    1,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabbecky View Post
    YEah, the really cheap is right in my current price range ($10-15). I really want some of the other barefoot runners, but they are not cheap for someone with no income
    I say go for it. Kmart has the Athletec women's maritime aqua sock for $9.99. Barefoot is another option, but it's not always feasible. I don't dare go barefoot in my neighborhood as we don't have sidewalks and not long ago it looked as if someone broke a bunch of bottles in the street. Perhaps as one's feet toughen, they will resist puncture (at least that's what Barefoot Ken Bob says), but.....

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Newark, Delaware USA
    Posts
    1,714
    Shop Now
    You can always be like Larry and run/walk in cheap flip flops

    Life: Catching up with the Flip-Flop Man

    video here

    http://current.com/groups/culture/89...bout-larry.htm

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •