Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vibrams first-time page

eyeshield9 is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Hi all!

Just wanted to share, got to try out my Vibram KSOs awhile ago.

I read a post here that said to go easy on the first run as it takes awhile for the feet to get used to it. Still, I've always had a front foot-strike since I was a kid (flat-footed size 13), so I figure "nah I can take it" Plus I have them in blue, they deserve a Na'vi-like maiden sprint!

Needless to say after 20 mins I look like one of those casualties at the end of Avatar, limping my way back home going "oww oww oww" in my head.

Good thing it's midnight, no one's seeing this alien outlier :P

Learnings:

1. Definitely go slow on the first run, it'll help the feet develop blisters.

2. If you over-do it try heel-striking then rolling along the outer edge of your feet walking. It won't hurt as bad and the pressure could help strengthen the outer sides of your feet for future side-to-side maneuvers (hopefully)

3. Try sprinting on a surface with hard stones, you have to think fast using lateral motion to avoid stones. Hit one and you'll feel it; an incentive to move faster!

vonterschpe Guest

I don't have any five fingers, i just run barefoot. The first time i went out i ran about 3 miles or so on concrete and did a little number on my feet. Had some blood blisters, but as soon as i lanced them and gave em a day or two to rest they were about good as new. The blisters hurt for a bit, but they go away quickly. They also become nice tough places of skin for future runs.

I love running in places with rocks or stones strewn on the path (I wen't to visit a friend in chile and it was streets with glass!). Running on this stuff keeps the mind sharp and active. Plus, you look up and find you've ran like 3 miles and didn't even hardly realise it. Its such a weird feeling.

Hope you like the 5 fingers, but I'll stick to being barefoot b/c its cheaper!

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member

I bought my KSO's about 2 weeks ago and love them. I don't really run distance but do a lot of sprint work and I love them.

Definitely take your time breaking them in and you'll never want to wear shows again. I wear mine to work, grocery store and everywhere in between.

Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Zerhyn is offline Junior Member

I bought some KSO's a couple of days ago. I haven't taken them out yet. I am still just wearing them around the house. I am trying to decide if they are too small. I think my feet them almost perfectly, but in between my toes becomes sore after an hour or so of wearing them. I'm scared to go up another size, because then they might be too floppy.

Oh the dilemma's in life.

eyeshield9 is offline Junior Member

@vonterschpe

Wow barefoot. On concrete? That is...extreme. Are you flat-footed though

Good to know the blisters go away quickly, I have water ones but they're still irritating. The body telling us to "slow down, take it easy" I guess

@AppalachianMatt

Also very tempted to wear these puppies out there But these are probably the...5th pair in this country? And I want to avoid the rigmarole of people asking me this-and-that. I'd love to tell them about primal, but I think I have to be fitter to have credibility hmm...

@Zerhyn

Haha, the dramas of being primal in a modern world eh? I have a 45 for an extreme over-pronator (footprint expands by about 15% when feet on foot strike), they're a tad loose at the heel but not too much a bother. IMHO, I'd trade up if I couldn't sprint in'em

@ eyeshiled9. I know this will sound cliche but I stopped caring about what other people think a long time ago. I was deployed ot Iraq and fingure after my adventure at the beach with no sand that what other people think doesn't really matter in the big scheme of things. I wear mine to work, the gym, to the store or wherever. Sure you get some weird looks and people will ask you about them but you just say it's like walking barefoot and the most comfortable shoes ever made outside.

I've never had any issues with blisters or anything. I think the first day I wore mine I had them on for about 8 hours. Weird I know but they just felt so good.

@Vonterschp: Thats a little too hard core for me with the running barefoot on concrete. I know they're a tad expensive but I use mine so much that the cost is actually minimal especially with how much better my back feels.

Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

If you haven't realized I even type Primal or in other words not very good.

Mary Pickford

midwestgrokette Guest

I just ordered myself some VFF's and are supposed to get them tomorrow! I'm not a big runner in general but excited to use them for everyday use and when I workout. My pinky toe curls under my other toes so I have a feeling that wearing the Vibrams will take a little getting used to.

@eyeshile 9: I will be sure to heed your advice and take it slow with them. Thanks!

emmcubed Guest

@Zerhyn Try the Injinji socks with your KSOs if you do decide to go up a size. I'm a 40, but I bought the Trek in 41 with the socks and they feel great. I don't wear the socks with my Sprints or Classics, though.

fragileknees is offline Member

Love my Vibrams!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast