Thread: Protein packed primal snacks ideas page

Maravilla Guest

So I am in need of some protein heavy primal snacks that are portable, durable, quick to eat (I'm a teacher and have to scarf things down in about 60 seconds during the day) and of course tasty!

The Cocoa and Coconut balls posted recently are a great addition (with two scoops of whey protein added), and I've been doing boiled eggs, which I just have to peel ahead of time. I eat a ton of nuts, but that's just not enough protein for me. I need two snacks a day with at least 10 grams of protein each.

I don't have access to any chemical-free jerky, unfortunately, unless there's a good place to buy some online.

Any suggestions?

jpickett1968 Guest

I've not made them yet, but Mark has a recipe on here for Primal Bars. That would solve your durable/portable quandry.

Maravilla Guest

Thanks, Jpickett1968. But if these are the ones you mean (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/make-...10-easy-steps/) the problem is that all their protein is from nuts = not enough protein.

I eat plenty of nuts. I need another, richer source of protein!

Has anyone tried adding protein powder to the above Primal Bars? Maybe I'll try that... Seems like that would be the same thing as the Nut Balls that I just started making though...

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member

The primal bars are very tasty.

Do you like DIY projects? Alton Brown has a method for making your own jerky without a dehydrator. I'm gonna try it this weekend.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member

I take mini cheeses to work and salami sticks. Can't promise the salami is free of chemicals though.

ommmmaggie is offline Senior Member
    If you're feeling adventurous, you might try making your own traditional pemmican. Dried meat, animal fat, and fruit or berries. Boom! A quick snack packed with animal protein.

http://www.grandpappy.info/rpemmica.htm

Sounds like you and I have similar metabolisms - after many years as a vegetarian, I am now astonished to find out how quickly animal foods can satisfy me, and if I go more than a meal without animal foods in it I start to get ravenously hungry and eat everything in sight until I remember and get a piece of bacon in my belly. Hope these do the trick for you!

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o
    Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
    WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
    DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
    EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

ORBren is offline Senior Member
    I made buffalo jerky using Mark's in the oven recipe took all day on a Saturday...but yummy and it lasts a long time in the fridge and is ok un-refrigerated during the day at school. I take string cheese and deviled eggs too.

Nick "the Caveman" M. is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ORBren View Post
    I made buffalo jerky using Mark's in the oven recipe took all day on a Saturday...but yummy and it lasts a long time in the fridge and is ok un-refrigerated during the day at school. I take string cheese and deviled eggs too.
    I've done the same multiple times. The only hassle is keeping the oven on for an extended period...especially now that it's summer time. It came out great though and I've been able to tweak the flavors to where I like it. Whole Foods around me actually sells a couple different cuts of buffalo so it's been easy to find it to make. I typically make about 2 lbs of it at a time and then keep it in a sealed container on the counter. My 3 yr old loves the stuff as well. Wife does as well...just not how I smell up the house while making it.