Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 15 year old with eating disorder page

Whatyoudoing is offline Member

15 year old with eating disorder

Primal Fuel
    Hi,

I'm new to this forum/blog. But not to the paleo diet. And I don't really know where this post is going or why I'm posting this but I'm just gonna start typing. I slowly started the paleo diet I think 3 months ago. It started by just cutting out refined sugar, then grains, then milk, then pasta and rice, then legumes, then I stopped eating too much fruit. But the past month I always think about food, what I will eat next etc. and dinner isn't "fun" anymore because I always eat a little different than my parents. Also I think I eat too little because I stopped eating bread and eating only meat and eggs for energy somehow feels wrong. I just miss so much of my old diet, where I was healthy as well.
    To be honest, I wish I never discovered the paleo diet even though it might eventually be healthier.

I just felt like posting this because then I can at least tell it somewhere

P.S. I really want to eat the absolutely antipaleo whole grain peanut butter samdwich in my bag that my mom made me
    Last edited by Whatyoudoing; 03-13-2012 at 03:22 AM.

mmsantos is offline Senior Member
    I also developed an eating disorder when I started Primal, but then it went away as I listened to my body and ate as it told me to, instead of what Mark tells me to. Everyone is different. For someone your age, assuming you're active also, don't worry about calories. And eat sweet potatoes and some fruit (or even regular potatoes as a last resort) for quality carbs. Just focus on avoiding grains, sugar and vegetable oils and low quality dairy (eg. processed cheese).

If you stick with it and just keep changing things until you get it right, I promise you it will be worth it!

badbunny is offline Senior Member
    Early on it is natural to think about food all the time, I worry about what I am going to eat for lunch and dinner and how I am going to plan it and what I have in the house etc etc. Its like anything new, obsessing about whether you are eating the right things, enough, too much....just read through the forums, its all there.

Primal isn't a 'one size fits all' and I think you'll see that in the forums also, you do need to listen to your body, but in the first weeks your body can lie because it is addicted and craves things that aren't necessarily good for it. However once into the groove, if you fancy an orange have one, if you want cheese - have it!

You say eating isn't 'fun', I would guess this is because you are young and you don't know how to combine the foods you can eat to make wonderful, satisfying and delicious food. As a mum I have been cooking for over 20 years and I have always cooked from fresh so adopting the primal lifestyle isn't too difficult for me. However I think you probably need to invest a little time and energy into finding some recipes or dishes that you truly love. Marks readers cookbook has some goodies in it.

As mmsantos said, just focus on avoiding the bad stuff and it will come good.
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    At 15 you shouldn't just be eating meat and eggs-you need carbs! Add some sweet potatos, fruit, plenty of veggies....if you really want a piece of bread, get the sprouted grain kind. And experiment with different meals-look up some recipes and ask your mom to help you make them for everyone, so you don't feel isolated at dinner.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Andtckrtoo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tradawg View Post
    At 15 you shouldn't just be eating meat and eggs-you need carbs! Add some sweet potatos, fruit, plenty of veggies....if you really want a piece of bread, get the sprouted grain kind. And experiment with different meals-look up some recipes and ask your mom to help you make them for everyone, so you don't feel isolated at dinner.
    This. And yes, definitely explain your thoughts as to why Primal is the way you want to eat. And you know what - follow the 80/20 rule. Eat this was 80% of the time. Enjoy other foods the other 20%.
    Christine
    Wag more, bark less

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    and eat till full. My story is one where my mother withheld food from us both as punishment and as a general expression of power. one thing i notice is that most of the people i talk to who are huge as adults ( not just big ie needing to shed under 30 pounds) all had some form of malnourishment as children. as a teen you are building and burnig more in a day than your parents will in a week. dont skimp. eat eat eat, just eat well.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whatyoudoing View Post
    It started by just cutting out refined sugar, then grains, then milk, then pasta and rice, then legumes, then I stopped eating too much fruit.
    eating only meat and eggs for energy
    Are you eating vegetables? If you never liked them, now might be a good time to try them again. Taking the sugar and grains out of your diet makes the veggies taste better, plus when I was a teen I started liking things I did not like as a child. I started with broccoli and cauliflower when I was a teen. And you really should eat more potatoes. Also, as a teen, a peanut butter sandwich from time-to-time isn't going to kill you. It's not the healthiest, but without a good job and the ability to buy and prepare all the food you need, it's better to feed your growing body than starve it out of some sense of purity.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

patski is offline Senior Member
    If you really want bread, make it rye bread. Or sourdough. And slather it in butter.

Eat sweet potatoes! Don't be afraid of fruit either. Eat green veggies slathered in fat. Eat only until full.

It's ok to think about food all the time Primals are foodies, I find!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    and eat till full. My story is one where my mother withheld food from us both as punishment and as a general expression of power. one thing i notice is that most of the people i talk to who are huge as adults ( not just big ie needing to shed under 30 pounds) all had some form of malnourishment as children. as a teen you are building and burnig more in a day than your parents will in a week. dont skimp. eat eat eat, just eat well.
    This is interesting. My mom was always on a diet so I was too. And her mom was brutally cruel as far as comments to me and my sister about weight and appearance. End result was I never felt like I got enough to eat as a child. My sister and I would actually sneak powdered sugar and eat it with a spoon because we were not allowed treats like the other kids we knew and because everything good to eat was "too fattening". While other kids were allowed butter and homemade cookies we ate skinless chicken and baked potatoes. Neither of us were huge, but we ended up with eating disorders and weight problems.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Interesting. Back on SAD, with not enough nutrition, I would crave stuff and think about food almost all the time. But now it's not so much. I think about food still in the sense that I'm excited about preparing dinner, but I think that's a different story. My point is, as most posters have said, try eating more to nourish your young and still-growing body.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast