Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling martial artists! Espec kickboxers page

Primal-Ninja82 Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Hey,

I am a kickboxer, but somewhat out of condition... I have a purple belt in American Kickboxing and am going for blue in April.

Any thoughts from any martial artists on how I can train for kickboxing primally would be appreciated. I love the idea of doing less for greater results because I have noticed my body doesn't like being worked out too intensely too often - I don't improve and I retain weight.

Right now I am a bit unsure how to fit in the components of strength, practicing techniques and stretching without overkill/burnout.

Or is this sort of thing play? I'm guessing not, because is quite intense.

The grading comprises of 20 mins jump rope, 60 squats, 60 x 4 types of ab exercises, 60 back extensions, 60 pushups (I'm female, so do knee ones). Then 45 mins stretching. Then all the techniques for about an hours inc junp and spinning, then 15 mins self-defence, then 8-10 rounds sparring. It take 2-3 hours.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Infinate Intensity by rosstraining.com

Great workouts for combat athletes...

dsantana is offline Senior Member

Good Luck I am going for blue in April as well. I find that Martial Arts itself is great for PB exercise.

Typically I work all my basic moves and forms everyday at home. This gives me the whole move often aspect. I also continue to walk daily.

Three times a week I hit the circuit at the gym and twice a week we put in some sparring time. I think finding a sparring partner was the best thing I have done. Nothing gets the heart pumping like 3 minutes of dodging kicks.

Primal-Ninja82 Guest

Thanks Arthur999 - I will check that out.

Dsantana - what kind of circuits do you do in the gym? I am trying to get a new routine going. And finally, how do you work in flexibility training? Good luck for blue!

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Until you get your copy... I would train something like this.

M - Max Strength (barbell squat, deads, bench, oh press, pullups)

T - Skill training (bag work, sparring, etc)

W - Explosive Sterngth (Plyometrics)

Th - Skill Training

F - Endurance/Conditioning (Hill sprints, jump rope, burpees, high rep bw training)

Sa - Skill Training

Su - Off

Based around your own personal schedule... on the non skill training days, your workout should be no more than 30 min.

Athena is offline Senior Member

Im a 2nd degree black belt in Judo. I found that the best training was Plyometrics and also balance training. Squatting on a Bosu ball, one legged squats, etc. I know this sounds sorta cheesy, but meditation helped me greatly in becoming more aware of what was going on during a fight.

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

I've been doing Kali since October (primal since September). We just started sparring the other week and I have to say that all the HIIT training that I've done prepared me quite well. 3 one-minute rounds with 30 seconds between were no problem for this Grok! Sprinting and high-intensity body-weight exercises go a long way.

Everyone else was winded though! :P

I grok, therefore I am.

dsantana is offline Senior Member

Personally when I am circuit training I tend to focus more on upper body. I find that between my walks, kicks, cycling and sparing, my legs are developing enough strength.

As for stretching. I do a 15 minutes yoga routine twice a week in the evening. (Sometimes more if I am a bit stressed out.)

Good luck on blue.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned

I do Chinese martial arts, Tai Chi (taiji), weird ass kung fu stuff. You get what you put into it, it can be "plenty of slow movement", or you can make it VERY intense. If you want to put the Martial back in the art, ya gotta fight, fight, fight. (And therefore have victims, er... I mean 'training partners'.)

I'm lovin' the daily walking portion of Primal, and some times incorporate various methods of "stepping" that I've learned into my daily walks (Primal all of 10 days now.) I've been sedentary for far too long, so I'm sure I'll get to sprinting, hopefully sooner rather than later, same for the lifting of heaviness.

ChrisJ is offline Member

Another chinese martial artist here. I train in 5 animal kung fu, and practise my forms at least twice a week, this definitely counts as move around slowly - the intensity depends on the form and how much energy you choose to put into it, but the exertion is all about weight balance and fast explosive movements. For me usually translates to intervals of high and low intensity movement, and takes me about an hour to go through all my forms. I also cycle most days for about an hour.

Practise your core skills, whatever they may be. Every technique you know should be practised regularly, kicks, punches, and blocks should be second nature. Basic movements that come naturally. If you don't use forms, then this is what you should be doing. Mix them up and experiment with how they flow into each other, but remember to use every skill you know to keep your arsenal varied.

Do a limited amount of heavy lifting, but not too much, and make sure it's all full body lifts with free weights. I'd say once a week, twice if you're trying to gain weight. I generally do more bodyweight exercises, plyometrics and some isometric stretching, usually twice a week. Vary your exercises, don't do the same thing every session.

Spar, more rounds than your grading, and three times per week. If your rounds are 3 mins, make your practise rounds 5, if they are 5 mins then do 7, ensure you can keep going strong after the round would end. Spar after your forms or your skill training, if you want to ensure you have the endurance for the grading.

I like to do relaxed stretches every day, whenever I have time or need to take a break from things. Only do Isometric stretches after moderate exercise - whatever that may be, as this should always be done when your muscles are warm. I do Isometrics after I cycle for instance, especially important since cycling can shorten hamstrings.

Apparently I suck at life, so I'm crowd-sourcing my decisions, and sharing what I learn.

My fresh start in London

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast