Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Huge study shows red meat boosts risk of dying young page 2

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Eating a portion of processed red meat daily can boost a person's risk of dying young by up to 20 per cent
    It's the processed part, not the red meat part. And most "processed red meat" (bologna, hot dogs, pepperoni, etc) is almost always eaten in conjunction with bread (sandwich bread, hot dog buns, pizza crust) so it's really hard to say it's "red meat" when it's 2 different kinds of meat and eaten with gluten and sugar.

regular consumption of red meat, especially processed meat, contributes substantially to premature death
    And how could they claim they are both to blame when they never separated the two?

Processed red meat has been shown to contain ingredients such as saturated fat, sodium, nitrites and some carcinogens that are linked to many chronic ailments including heart disease and cancer.
    Saturated fat does not cause heart disease or cancer.
    And again, sodium is not in red meat, just processed meat.
    Same with nitrites - only in processed meats.
    Carcinogens are present if you sear or overcook meat.

And this:

Subjects answered surveys about their eating habits every four years.
    Makes this:

Those who ate a card-deck-sized serving of unprocessed red meat each day on average saw a 13 per cent higher risk of dying than those who did not eat red meat as frequently.
    ...pretty much pointless. Self-reporting is absolutely the worst kind of way to get info. All kinds of bias and confusion and memory problems and wanting to make the researcher happy. It's a waste of time. Nothing at all as to what else they were eating with that red meat.

And I'd be willing to bet the guys that said they didn't eat processed meat actually did. Hell, it's hard for me to resist, and I get a brutal migraine for 3 days when I do.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    you know what.....these people all DRANK WATER AND BREATHE AIR!!!

MAYBE THOSE CAUSE CANCER

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Or maybe Gary Taubes is GOD!

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by captaineight View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not fan of unnaturally high-carb diets (which our modern diets most certainly are!). That is ESPECIALLY true of high-GI carbs. If there's anything "evil" about carbs, it's high-GI carbs. Highly processed sugars from candy, soda, white bread, etc. Have you ever found that McDonalds hamburger buns stick to your teeth like fairy-floss? No wonder people get so obese eating that crap.

My thoughts are that our ancestors ate lean game meat. Not the processed crap and fattened farm animals you buy in the supermarket today. I think that the most important thing for health is to eat a lot of fresh green vegetables, including a substantial fibre intake. I believe a person who does a lot of weight training needs a lot of protein, which can be healthily sourced from lean meat, fish, poultry and whey protein powder for that extra "unnatural" boost (in as far as our caveman ancestors weren't downing protein shakes).

A significant amount (most?) of my red-meat comes from hunted kangaroos, which I buy in the supermarket or local butcher ("Gourmet Game" brand). I've seen pictures of buffalos with a lot of fat in them, etc., posted by people trying to prove that our ancestors ate bucket-loads of saturated fats. I think these are the exception rather than the rule, and also show-off the fattiest cuts. The truth is - and any hunter will confirm this - that game meat is a hell of a lot leaner than the stuff you buy off the supermarket shelf.

I think the study misses that point, but then again, they're hardly coming at it from the point of view of a paleo dieter. I think there is still a lot to be learned here.
    Humans didn't evolve hunting tiny things like kangaroos. We hunted fat-rich very large game that was largely selected for it's fat/protein ratio.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilian View Post
    A few people already hit the nail on the head. I seriously doubt any of these people were eating primally. It is highly likely they were eating red meat in conjunction with a CW/SAD diet of "hearthealthy grains" and everything else the USDA says is good for you. Once again, correlation =/= causation.

Also, lean game meat my ass.
    One of the few things I DID learn in college debate class .

Quote Originally Posted by JennaRose View Post
    you know what.....these people all DRANK WATER AND BREATHE AIR!!!

MAYBE THOSE CAUSE CANCER
    Those can't be it. It's gotta be standing....

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    If eating red meat is gonna make me die young, I say, BRING IT ON.

I'll take my chances Primal.

Quote Originally Posted by trekfan View Post
    If eating red meat is gonna make me die young, I say, BRING IT ON.

I'll take my chances Primal.
    That's what I told my parents, after I told them I ate as many as 12 eggs a day (not all the time). I felt a lot better than I did, when I fed myself corn flakes (the best thing I could have done was cut out corn from my diet, as well as grains [wheat]), and skim milk.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks, for this. It just dawned on me: my school has journal access. I'm doing it for my MBA, but I forgot I could check out whatever I can on nutrition, and the like.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast