Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grain-fed Beef - Eating 2 pounds per day. Dangerous? page

ASC
    ASC is offline Member

Grain-fed Beef - Eating 2 pounds per day. Dangerous?

Primal Fuel
    I've been eating grain-fed beef, (chuck, top-blade), from the grocery store as my main source of calories. On a typical day I eat 1.5 to 2.5 pounds. I know that grass-fed is better, but I can't afford it.

My question: Since I cannot afford grass-fed beef, should I try to eat other types of meat rather than use grain-fed beef as my main source of calories?

Note: I try to balance my omegas by eating canned sardines and canned salmon regularly. If I don't get enough fish in any given day, then I supplement with omega 3 pills. To make sure that they are not spoiled, I occasionally bit into one to check for a rotten taste. So far, I have not come across a rotten tasting omega 3 pill.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ASC View Post
    I've been eating grain-fed beef, (chuck, top-blade), from the grocery store as my main source of calories. On a typical day I eat 1.5 to 2.5 pounds. I know that grass-fed is better, but I can't afford it.

My question: Since I cannot afford grass-fed beef, should I try to eat other types of meat rather than use grain-fed beef as my main source of calories?

Note: I try to balance my omegas by eating canned sardines and canned salmon regularly. If I don't get enough fish in any given day, then I supplement with omega 3 pills. To make sure that they are not spoiled, I occasionally bit into one to check for a rotten taste. So far, I have not come across a rotten tasting omega 3 pill.
    I would just emphasize buying the leaner cuts and looking to source some grass-fed tallow, which is usually very inexpensive.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

jakey is offline Senior Member
    i don't think grain-fed beef is a big nutritional problem, at all. i also don't think that omega3 pills hold a candle to canned fish you mention, and you should stick to those.

but i'm writing to ask why you're eating 2.5 lbs of beef each day. why?

ASC
    ASC is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    i don't think grain-fed beef is a big nutritional problem, at all. i also don't think that omega3 pills hold a candle to canned fish you mention, and you should stick to those.

but i'm writing to ask why you're eating 2.5 lbs of beef each day. why?
    To be honest, I'm not sure what else I should eat in order to get the calories I need in a day, (2,400 to 2,800 calories/day) Even with eating 1.5 to 2.5 lbs of beef per day, my weight is stable. I don't want to lose any weight at this point.

More details about my diet and activity level in this thread: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread49711.html

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ASC View Post
    To be honest, I'm not sure what else I should eat in order to get the calories I need in a day, (2,400 to 2,800 calories/day) Even with eating 1.5 to 2.5 lbs of beef per day, my weight is stable. I don't want to lose any weight at this point.

More details about my diet and activity level in this thread: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread49711.html
    Why don't you add some potatoes or something? If you're just looking for safe calories to fill out your meals, starch is a lot cheaper than meat.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

ASC
    ASC is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    Why don't you add some potatoes or something? If you're just looking for safe calories to fill out your meals, starch is a lot cheaper than meat.
    For a couple of reasons:

1. I'm under the impression that keeping carbs below 100 grams per day is optimal.
    2. I'd like to gain some lean muscle mass so I want to keep my protein intake at 1 - 2 grams per pound of body weight. (I'm currently 165 lbs, and targeting 200 to 230 grams of protein per day.) Even with the amount of meat, I still supplement with protein shakes to get to this level of protein.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    you do not need 200 to 230 grams of protein a day. bodybuilding magazines and forums are responsible for this crap, that's totally crazy. anyway, for pure calories, fat wins. heavy cream and macadamia nuts can give you calories. 2.5 lbs of meat a day, and you'll start to feel that in the wallet soon. it's just kind of... overkill.

potatoes and starch are great, but relatively calorie poor. i eat about a pound of sweet potatoes a day, and that's only about 400 calories. very filling tough, and crucial for muscle gain.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sihana View Post
    I see you are in CA. Do you have a Trader Joe's or a Sprouts/Henry's near you? They sell grass-fed beef at comparable prices, when you consider 1lb of grass-fed is a lot more calorie dense than 2lbs of grain-fed.

Just an option.
    Grass fed beef has less fat and calories than grain fed.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

StaceyOverbeck is offline Junior Member
    i don't think grain-fed beef is a big nutritional problem

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Is the grain fed you are eating conventional? Meaning is it factory farmed with no restrictions as to steroid/growth hormones, antibiotics? If so then it IS a problem!! Don't get me wrong here. Unless we live in a bubble we are going to eat some of this stuff. If you go out to eat you can't avoid it. But I would NEVER buy it for home use. I aim for grass fed beef. If its not readily available I will settle for beef that contains no antibiotics or growth stimulants. Yes they are grain fed and there are problems with that. But these products are a step above conventional meat. To the OP, that is a lot of meat everyday. If conventional meat is as bad as it seems, you are not doing yourself any favors. And I second the whole you DO NOT need anywhere near the amount of protein as has been touted by the fitness industry. I bought into that for some time. I now eat a good amount of protein compared to the average SAD diet but I don't stress over it at all. If I happen to have a couple of meals that are low in protein, so be it. It hasn't affected my strength or muscle mass in any way. The body can only use so much protein at a time. More than that amount, over time will likely be deposited as fat.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast