Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: As if you needed another reason to pack your kids' lunches... page

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member

As if you needed another reason to pack your kids' lunches...

Shop Now
    The schools are serving children ground beef that's been treated with ammonia. Disgusting!
    http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/0...est=latestnews *should be fixed now*

*shudder*
    Last edited by Sanctus Real; 03-12-2012 at 04:43 PM.
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Link doesn't work, but I get what you're saying. I tend not to eat out much; and will probably form the basis for not wanting whatever kids I have in the future to go through school lunches: where they buy their food; and what food they end up buying from those places. My mom had raised my siblings, and me on processed stuff, what bread, etc. It wasn't any better than school food, when I was going through it.

activia is offline Senior Member
    That's pretty awful, but I'm not surprised.. I have seen some of the school lunches, all the colors dont even look right..the tomatoes are practically orange with no flavor... same goes for all of it, just literally crap.

I almost never had school food until I was in high-school and had a job where I could buy it myself. Of course I was eating pb&j for lunch everyday (I'm not kidding EVERY day), white bread, smooth pb, with grape jelly. I dont remember consuming any vegetables ever, some fruit yes.. I had an orange, or an apple, maybe some grapes. My snacks were fruit roll ups, popcorn, or chips. Then I had some whole milk (before the low fat craze started)... it was a small school and they didnt offer a full lunch. Even with that terrible diet, today's diet is even worse. The food I ate in the cafe in high school was worse... pizza, chicken nuggets, french fries, cookies, some fruit laced with sugar in a cup, and a low fat chocolate milk... to think I ate that everyday. I would go home and my after school snack would usually consist of oreos, or cheese, or chips, or some other cookies... maybe a bowl of sugar laced sugar. My fav that I was allowed to eat was frosted mini-wheats.. although capn' crunch was my real favorite, or I'd grab a pop-tart before running to the bus stop... or instant oatmeal that was also loaded with sugar.

So Although school lunches are far from great, were they really much better then what I was eating for 70% of my calorie intake for the day? Thank god for dinners they were clearly one of the only somewhat healthy meals I ate. Hamburger helper, shake & bake, ziti, steak, with a side lipton noodles (always my fav) or baked potato.. with a side salad or frozen green beans sometimes broccoli.. that was pretty much all I ate for the first 18 years of my life.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member
    The link is fixed now. I'm sorry I didn't check it, thanks for the heads up, lssanjose.

I guess my thinking is that it is so much healthier (and cheaper) to fix your kid a meal at home, or, if she's old enough, have her pack her own. We make such an effort to serve our families healthy meals at home, then send them out in the world to eat crap. Doesn't make sense.
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanctus Real View Post
    The link is fixed now. I'm sorry I didn't check it, thanks for the heads up, lssanjose.

I guess my thinking is that it is so much healthier (and cheaper) to fix your kid a meal at home, or, if she's old enough, have her pack her own. We make such an effort to serve our families healthy meals at home, then send them out in the world to eat crap. Doesn't make sense.
    The only problem with packing lunches is retained freshness. Then again, what I packed as a kid may not have been the healthiest candidates for freshness. However, one has to think kids take their lunches at 11:45 - 12:30 (start times), depending on how late their school starts. With this in mind, I'd rather have my future offspring (or adopted) eat a larger breakfast; fast throughout the day; and do schoolwork, or play during lunch. The kids usually get dismissed between 2pm, and 3:15pm

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lssanjose View Post
    With this in mind, I'd rather have my future offspring (or adopted) eat a larger breakfast; fast throughout the day; and do schoolwork, or play during lunch. The kids usually get dismissed between 2pm, and 3:15pm
    But, that's generally not an option, especially for elementary school kids. It's general practice in public school that if a child is found without a lunch, they are given one from the cafeteria and then the parents are billed for it.

Maybe *some* kids that age would have enough self control not to eat it (although the parents would STILL get billed) but most kids I know that age would eat it, if for no other reason than the school representative has an air of authority.
    Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
    Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

Quote Originally Posted by tim_1522 View Post
    But, that's generally not an option, especially for elementary school kids. It's general practice in public school that if a child is found without a lunch, they are given one from the cafeteria and then the parents are billed for it.

Maybe *some* kids that age would have enough self control not to eat it (although the parents would STILL get billed) but most kids I know that age would eat it, if for no other reason than the school representative has an air of authority.
    "What's it going to be: my health; and the kids' health; or, you're desire for unquestioned authority? If we die here, from this stuff, that's on your making us eat it" This would have been me in grade school, if armed with Primal tools .

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    It not so much as my "desire for unquestioned authority" as it is just an acknowledgement of the way things are. Like I said, perhaps there are *some* kids which that's not the case, but especially at that age, they are generally few and far between. And the ones that DO question authority are just as likely to question their parents...
    Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
    Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    meh, that stuff is fine. Mcdonalds just stopped serving it very recently apparently and their burgers are delicious.

BrassyDel is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Children are not mini adults. You can't have a 7 year old fast all day! Also, a lot of elementary schools no longer have recess at lunch anyway. The kids are confined to the cafeteria. There are a TON of brown bag paleo foods you can send with your kid and not worry about freshness. Or, put an ice pack in the bag! Almost every lunch I had at school growing up was from home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast