Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (DavidR) page

DavidR Guest

Primal Journal (DavidR)

Primal Fuel
    Greetings everyone,

I am 44 years old and I have decided to make my own journal after reading quite a few inspiring journals. I stumbled onto the Primal lifestyle through my web search regarding going grain free.

See, nearly 10 years ago, I had lost nearly 100 lbs by dropping grains and sugars from diet as the recommendation from my martial arts teacher at the time. I have gained nearly all of it back only after adding grains back into my diet. Of course it has been a slow process. Additionally, my occupation as a software developer means that my daily physical activity amounts to walking from my desk to the restroom or to and from my car.

Now that all aspects of my life with the exception of health is perfect, I wanted fix that part to be completely happy and also get back into regular martial arts training. After researching the paleo diet and then found Mark's site, I was convinced that his approach was what I was looking for.

I will attempt to briefly catch this up to yesterday and then make another post for today.

On food:

Thus far I have no cravings.

Morning:
    Coffee with half-and-half and stevia.

Breakfast:
    2 Eggs (hard boiled or scrambled) If scrambled, I saute` onions and peppers in butter before adding the eggs. then add 3 slices of tomato and 3 or 4 slices of cucumber. Sprinkle a small pinch of shredded cheddar cheese on the scrambled eggs while still warm.

Lunch:
    Lunch varies. I always bring lunch from home. It may be left overs (always a meat with a green veggie of some sort). Or I may bring a salad (spring mix, spinach, bell pepper, onions, tomato, cucumber) and either bring left over meat or tuna fish, salmon, etc. I always use extra virgin olive oil and roasted garlic red wine vinegar.

Dinner:
    It is always a meat and green veggie. Could be pork loin and broccoli, oven roasted chicken thighs and spinach. I almost always eat 1 piece of meat and a good size portion of veggies.

Evenings:
    Hot tea with half-and-half and stevia.

Note: If I snack, I normally only eat a handful (around 1oz) of organic dry roasted nuts (cashew, almond, pistachio mix)

Additionally, my meals will eventually vary as I acquire more recipes, try different veggies, meats, etc. The details above are more intended as a general summary of my daily meals. However, I am a person that likes consistency.

On exercise:

I admit, I have not stuck completely to the exercise routine in Primal Fitness, although I am improving my consistency with the daily walking, body weight exercises, and intervals (sprints). This is definitely step-wise refinement. Although I do enjoy fitness, I think after spending many hours droning along in a gym environment, I want my exercise outdoors and fun. So I certainly resonate with Mark on the "play" part of exercise. It should always be fun.

Note: I recently used the stairs in the neighboring parking garage for my interval work. The garage has 4 flights of stairs and I have found that I can create intense intervals by "running" up to the top and walking to the bottom. A couple of intervals of that on a 10 minute break is quite intense.

On weight:
    • 02/20/2012 - Officially dropped grains from my diet (no weigh in)
    • 02/25/2012 - First weigh in (390.6lb) 95%+ Primal now.
    • 03/09/2012 - Weigh in 384.8lb

Well there it is. That sums up my endeavors up till now. I will try and update my journal daily.

DavidR Guest

Day 22 - Journal Entry

Morning - 2 cups of coffee with half-n-half and stevia.

Breakfast - skipped, wasn't hungry.

Lunch - baked chicken thigh and approximately 2 cups of broccoli cooked with butter.

Dinner - baked Cod with about 1 cup of cooked spinach cooked with butter.

Evening - This evening I felt a little hungry before and after dinner. I ate a few things.

• 2 ounces of dry roasted nuts (almonds, pistachios, and cashews),
    • 1 small cup of No sugar added yogurt (unfortunately it was low fat)
    • 1 small cheese wheel (70 calories)
    • 2 tablespoons of Garlic hummus (I know chickpeas are legumes)
    • Chai Tea with coconut milk and stevia.

Exercise

We (My wife and I both are doing this primal lifestyle) didn't go exercise tonight due to having to run a couple of errands and our Monday night family night. Tomorrow we get out there after I get home.

Notes: Today felt good. Clothes are getting looser. Definitely need to do a couple of stair intervals tomorrow while at work.
    Last edited by DavidR; 03-12-2012 at 07:43 PM.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. Keep up the good work. :-)
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

DavidR Guest

Day 23 - Journal entry

Morning
    2 cups of coffee: 1 with coconut milk and the other with half-n-half and stevia.

Breakfast
    • Scrambled 2 whole eggs (onions, green and red bell pepper, mushrooms, and a dash garlic salt).
    • Sliced tomato and cucumber

Lunch
    Baked Cod fish with large salad (spinach, spring mix, butte rleaf, green and red bell peppers, onions , mushrooms, and tomatoes)

Dinner
    Well tonight, my wife and decided to dine out at the Teppan Yaki. I had chicken, steak and shrimp with NO rice or noodles, EXTRA veggies (Consisted of zuccini, broccoli, carrots, onions, and mushrooms). Meal comes with Ginger salad and onion soup.
    Going to have problems with water retention tomorrow

After dinner
    1 ounce of dry roasted nuts (almonds, pistachios, and cashews)

Exercise
    Walked .64 miles in the sun today while at the office.

DavidR Guest

Day 26 - Journal entry

Morning
    2 cups of coffee: with coconut milk and stevia.

Breakfast
    • Scrambled 2 whole eggs (onions, green and red bell pepper, and a dash garlic salt).
    • Sliced tomato and cucumber

Lunch
    Some roasted pork. Didn't bring any veggies.

Dinner

Pan fried pork chops, a pile of green beans and broccoli, and half a small sweet potato with butter.

After dinner
    2 ounces of dry roasted nuts (almonds, pistachios, and cashews)

Exercise
    Didn't get any in today.

Summary of the past 2 days....

Day 24

It was my birthday and a crazy day. I ate about 1 oz of nuts with a banana in the morning. Lunch was left over chicken, no veggies. Dinner was oven roasted pork with a pile of green beans. Stressful day the office.

Day 25

No breakfast (not hungry), lunch was left over oven roasted pork, dinner was a birthday dinner at in-laws, so it was Roast beef with green beans, broccoli, and sweet potato.

End result is that I am down a pound over the last couple of days.

DavidR Guest

Day 27 - Journal entry

Today started out good, but the festivities is taking it's toll. I have had 2 glasses of red wine, and several small handfuls of m&ms. The rest of the day does not bode well. I will update later.

DavidR Guest

I don't know what day it is... now - Journal ramblings...

My wife and I have been sticking to the primal approach for the most part. I haven't had much problems, so far, however, I have eaten legumes 2 or 3 times so far and the same for desserts. We had a couple of birthdays since I began this, one of which was mine. So I have eaten a little bit of bad stuff. Then this weekend my wife and I had a small blizzard from DQ. This is something we haven't done in months, so it really wasn't a big deal. Although I do tend to kick myself later.

On Salt - It is amazing how eating something with high salt cause so much water retention. We normally use very little salt, but last week had a baked ham and then another night home made lentil soup with the left over ham. Since it has been difficult to get rid of the extra 2+ lbs of water. This week I should see better progress.

I have been intermittent fasting every so often. I will either miss breakfast or miss lunch. Sometimes I may miss both and only eat dinner. Eating primal certainly makes this rather easy, in my opinion.

Today, I started logging my food in Fit Day.

Later folks!

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Hi & welcome David

You seem to be rolling along pretty well. Giving up the grains is, IMHO, the very best thing you can do for your body - they are so inflammatory. Great that your wife is also 'on the wagon' with you, so much easier when you have support from the family.

For recording, I use the Cron O meter. I like that it lets you set a diet plan (just record, us a preset, or custom. I made a big post( no 114) about it on another forum, see it here which goes into all the ins an outs an options.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

DavidR Guest
    Thank you! Yes it has made things easier that my wife is doing this with me. The kids are eating this way to a lesser degree. Only because this is the way we cook. I will check out the Cron O Meter. I use sites and apps such as Endomondo, FitDay, and My Fitness Pal to track all sorts of stuff. I like good tools to use, I will check it out.

DavidR Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I am not sure what day number this is. I am still going strong.

I still don't walk or exercise as much as I should. It seems this is a constant issue for me. I hope to eventually have it as a habit, although, I am trying to be more active in my lifestyle even when it isn't considered "exercise".

Yesterday I did lift heavy things. I spent the afternoon putting down pavers for my new grill. I am sure I burned alot of calories. I can say my back is sore today.

As far as my food goes, I have been logging it over at My Fitness Pal. Although, it seems I have a hard time hitting my 75g of carbs. I am typically slightly under. Hitting the protein is tough as well. I don't want to use a protein supplement.

Just checking in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast