Page 1 of 70 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Thermogenesis Guidelines/Results page

otzi Guest

Cold Thermogenesis Guidelines/Results

Primal Fuel
    Mark Sisson recently discussed the benefits of cold water: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cold-...#axzz1s7vWHYg1

There's a lot to this, and people are getting interested again.

Thermogenesis is the process of heat production in mammals. Cold Thermogenesis is heat production stimulated by exposure to cold temperatures. Thermogenesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you only ever click on one link, please click this one! It's a must-read study on Cold Thermogenesis! http://journals.cambridge.org/produc...textid=6406180

The conclusion from this study:
    Data have been presented that imply that the adipostat
    hypothesis does not adequately predict the outcome when
    thermogenesis is altered. Indeed, our conclusions are that
    decreased thermogenesis may in itself be causative of
    obesity; correspondingly, ‘induced’ thermogenesis counteracts
    obesity (even without dietary intervention). Thus,
    activation of thermogenesis is an anti-obesity tool irrespective
    of whether it is accomplished by artificial uncoupling,
    exercise, shivering, or recruitment and activation of
    brown adipose tissue. The latter would seem to be the more
    physiological, and the more comfortable, of these means of
    promoting thermogenesis.

Exposure to cold increases your metabolism, leading to fat loss and a slew of other health benefits including the prevention and elimination of many metabolic syndrome and age-related diseases. PhysOrg.com Search - thermogenesis for many current studies.

Ray Cronise at Thermogenex - Fuel the Burn is a former NASA scientist and proponent of cold thermogenesis.

Dr. Jack Kruse has written extensively on the benefits of cold thermogenesis at COLD THERMOGENESIS 1: THEORY TO PRACTICE BEGINS: - Jack Kruse

Questions frequently asked on CT blogs:
    1. What temperature and how long?
    -- This seems to be subject of debate, but it seems you should go for the coldest you can stand. Many report good success with ice packs on neck and belly for 30 minutes a night, others like cool baths and showers, while others will actually soak in a tub filled with ice cubes for 30-60 minutes. If you live in a cold climate, exposure to outside air below freezing for 30-60 minutes a day seems to work also.

2. Should I supplement with vitamins during CT?
    -- Keep your normal routine going. Some foods that are known to increase the effectiveness of CT are dark chocolate, turmeric, green tea, hot peppers, and cinnamon.

3. Do I need a ketogenic diet?
    -- Dr. K says yes, Ray Cronise says no. Both agree you should eat a diet free of PUFA and processed foods (SAD).

4. How will I know if it's working?
    -- After 2-3 weeks, you will notice you shiver less and your body radiates heat more. Fat should start to come off effortlessly. You will not be as hungry since cold shunts hunger signals.

5. Where is the magic? Just increased calorie burn?
    -- The real magic behind CT is in activation of BAT (brown fat) and Uncoupling Proteins. Read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermogenin

6. How do I get started?
    -- Start by filling a sink with ice cold water, cold tap water with ice cubes. Put your face in the water and leave as long as you can. This will activate your mammalian dive relex and prepare your body for longer exposure. Do this several times over a week or so. When this is tolerated well, begin taking cooler showers and baths. A common method is to take a hot shower, but for the last few minutes turn the temp down to as cold as you can stand. Work on increasing time spent in cold shower or bath. To speed it up, fill a tub with cool water and gradually add ice cubes (20-40lbs). This is an advanced technique. Swimming in an unheated swimming pool or lake or ocean is also a great way to get advantage of thermal loading.
    Last edited by otzi; 04-15-2012 at 10:25 AM.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    +1
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

otzi Guest
    So, how to implement CT.

Dr. Kruse believes CT is optimized when done while eating a totally ketogenic diet, as close to zero carb as possible. He advocates eating only protein and fat, most of this from seafood. He says this can be done seasonally, using CT and ketogenic diet from October thru April each year and eating starchy vegetables and fruits only in the spring and summer when they would normally be available.

Ray Cronise advocates eating a nutrient laden diet, high in nutrients/low in calories. Mainly from vegetable sources although he is not a vegan.

Both seem to favor CRON CRON - Calorie Restriction with Optimal Nutrition which is Calorie Restriction with Optimal Nutrition as opposed to eating the Standard American Diet.

otzi Guest
    In practice, anything you can do to increase your exposure to cold temperatures will increase your metabolism. This is because your body wants to maintain it's internal temperature around 98.6 deg F. When it senses cold, it will increase the rate of cellular activity to keep the core temperature optimal for survival. Human body temperature - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Athletes, military units, and scientists have used this to increase the limits of human endurance.

Ray Cronise at Thermogenex - Fuel the Burn, says you only need to expose yourself to temps below your body temp to reap the benefits. Cool showers (60-75 deg), swimming in cool water (70-80 deg), and lowering your ambient temperature (house thermostat) to below 60 degrees are all good ways to increase CT.

Dr. Kruse advocates ice baths and extreme cold air temps like found in walk-in chillers to be better. He says you should shoot for a skin temp of 55 degrees in your CT session. If this is done, care should be taken to avoid hypothermia and frost-bite. He also advises starting by soaking your face in cold water to activate the 'mammalian dive reflex'. Mammalian diving reflex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Last edited by otzi; 03-12-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Kruse is an insane person. Almost nothing in that post above by him makes any actual sense. He is just spouting words like "primordial" and acting like that has a real prescriptive meaning.

I could say the exact opposite of nearly every one of his points and it would make just as much sense and have just as much evidence supporting it, i.e. none whatsoever. I don't know why anyone listens to a word he says. Ugh.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

otzi Guest
    One thing that every proponent of CT seems to agree on:

BAT (brown adipose tissue), or Brown Fat is activated by CT and extremely beneficial.

From Brown fat cells make 'spare tires' shrink "Brown adipose tissue is different from white fat pads. It contains loads of mitochondria, miniature power stations which among other things can 'burn' fat. In doing this, they normally generate a voltage similar to that of a battery, which then provides energy for cellular processes. However, the mitochondria of brown fat cells have a short circuit. They go full steam ahead all the time. The energy released when the fat is broken down is released as heat.

'This is actually what is intended,' Professor Alexander Pfeifer from the Bonn PharmaCentre explains. 'Brown fat acts like a natural heating system.' For example, babies would get cold very quickly without this mechanism. Up to now, it was thought that brown fat only occurred in newborn babies and was lost with age. However, this year different groups were able to show that this is not true: even adults have a deposit of brown fat in the neck area. But with very overweight people this deposit is only moderately active or is completely absent. "

More studies: PhysOrg.com Search - brown adipose tissue

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    +1
    2nd that!
    The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
    What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
    SW 190lb
    Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
    25 Sep 2011 160lbs
    1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
    GW ~135lbs
    5'3"
    Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

otzi Guest
    In my own personal experience with CT, I live in Fairbanks, Alaska with 6 months of darkness and sub-zero temperatures at my disposal. This winter, I started doing work-outs in very cold temps wearing only shorts, shoes, gloves and hat. At first, I would shiver very easily and could not stand more than 5-10 minutes at zero or below. After several weeks, I can easily withstand 30-60 minutes at zero to -20. This helped me break through a plateau I'd hit last fall and my body radiates heat for hours afterwards. I have not tried ice baths or cool water swimming, but I have turned down my house thermostat and started taking cooler showers in the morning.

I have been measuring my skin surface temp with an infrared thermometer. At first, 5-10 minutes of exposure in 0 degree air would result in skin temp of 55-60 deg (measured on forearm). After 4 weeks, 30 minutes of exposure in 0 degree air results in skin temp of 75-80 deg. Skin temp in 75 degree air is approx 85-95 deg for comparison.

A physiological change has definitely occured to my metabolism.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    Kruse is an insane person. Almost nothing in that post above by him makes any actual sense. He is just spouting words like "primordial" and acting like that has a real prescriptive meaning.

I could say the exact opposite of nearly every one of his points and it would make just as much sense and have just as much evidence supporting it, i.e. none whatsoever. I don't know why anyone listens to a word he says. Ugh.
    Uncephalized - I "think" you are an average healthy individual. Kruse may have nothing to offer you.

Kruse may also be rather scatterbrained in his approach but if you read him enough you realize his real goal is life extension and not health per se. Health is a precursor to life extension in his view of the world and if you happen to get healthy along the way so be it.

I have a freind who has known me for 15 years and he has seen me struggle all that time with uncontrollable weight gain. only in the last two years has he seen this stop and finally reverse.
    Year one was HCG. i removed 130 pounds using that tool as designed by Dr Simeons. however something stopped working and I began to slowly gain weight again on a Paleo template. Enter Kruse.

Dr Kruse gave specific form to concepts that I was struggling with, that i had encountered but didnt have the science for and due to the general failure of MD's everywhere I kept running into brick walls for. I am not saying Kruse is right for everyone but Kruse pointed me in the right direction when i ALREADY HAD the data

What people need to understand about Kruse wont really come clear without a person like myself. ( i hat to admit this honestly) someone who can step down his transformer. there is possibly a better person to do it , but i do my best.
    Understand the role of the Hypothalamus Pituitary axis in the body and you begin to get kruse. Understand the need for proper genetic DNA expression and you start to get kruse. Understand the degenerative actions of the SAD on those who are already compromised due to epigenetics and you get kruse.

If you are genetically normative, or if your parents and grand parents were, if your mom skipped the formula class and gave you tit then you may not need a word he says.

If you lucked into good clean living you probably dont need kruse.

IF however you missed that boat OR you are really hurting you need his thinking. and honestly a good Sisson and a watered down Kruse will probably leave a 18 year old male in his prime forever.

But he does sound bonkers if you dont need him. I for one am glad he is around to sound bonkers... it helped me put real clinical data to my n = 1
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

gcbcb is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Maybe I'm not a good reader, but most of what Kruse writes strikes me as borderline incomprehensible. I feel like he might have some good points - perhaps even some research based opinions - but if this useful information is indeed in their somewhere, his posts (at least the ones I've read) fail to communicate it in a remotely convincing way.

Page 1 of 70 1231151 ... LastLast