Page 9 of 70 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Thermogenesis Guidelines/Results page 9

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by hazyjane View Post
    LOL! If you'd read his recent stuff, you'd already know that there's no need for HCG w/ CT. Tsk, tsk. You sort of proved my point!

PS- those of us that "follow" him question him to no end. We drive him nuts with it. We experiment. There are a couple of points that I don't totally agree with him on. I don't just blindly believe everything he's saying. I do my outside research.

I see my fellow CT crazies as being a lot less brainwashed than, say, Matt Stone's followers, stuffing their faces with sugar and grains in order to "heal their metabolisms". To me that's so much more risky/dangerous than some old fashioned cold water, a few ice packs and traditional seasonal dietary cycling... this has a foundation in both history and science (and common sense!) It's truly not as complicated and high-tech as you seem to think it is.
    As I've always said, if his stuff helps people great.

Just don't call it paleo.

I wish he would give credit to the places he gets his info from though. For good or bad, he's an aggregator, and AFAIK, doesn't give much credit where it's due.

Clabbergirl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Believe it or not, you may have stumbled onto something perfectly fine. There is an actual term "Non-shivering Thermogenesis". It may be better than shivering! Here is an excerpt from a study on NST: NON-SHIVERING THERMOGENESIS AND ITS THERMOREGULATORY SIGNIFICANCE - JANSK[] - 2008 - Biological Reviews - Wiley Online Library

Summary
    1. Non-shivering thermogenesis (NST) is a heat-production mechanism participating in the chemical thermoregulation of mammals.

2. NST is additional to shivering and takes place at temperatures close to the thermoneutral zone.

3. NST occurs in newborn mammals and in those that hibernate. In some adult mammals it can be induced by adaptation to cold.

4. In small mammals NST produces approximately the same amount of heat as shivering. It becomes less important with increasing body weight of the animals.

5. NST is regulated by the hypothalamus and it is based predominantly on the calorigenic action of noradrenaline released from sympathetic nerve-endings.

Participation of other calorigenic substances and of the specific dynamic action of food cannot be excluded.

6. NST is localized mainly in skeletal muscles and in brown adipose tissue. Small amounts of NST may come from liver, intestine, heart and brain.

7. The biochemical basis of the calorigenic action of noradrenaline has not yet been fully elucidated.
    Interesting - thanks!

mistigi is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Found an even more awesome study! There is a chart showing the increase in metabolic rate as ambient temp goes down, I couldn't post the graph, but this is the legend just to get you excited... The whole sudy is at: http://journals.cambridge.org/downlo...39898b8d35813a

"Fig. 5. Cold-induced thermogenesis in man; the effect of ambient
    temperature on metabolic rate in naked adult male subjects. Values
    are means for five subjects; the BMR of each subject is set to 100.
    The subjects increased their metabolism by cycling sufficiently on
    an ergometer to avoid goose pimples or shivering. (Adapted after
    Erikson et al.(13).)"
    Thanks for posting this. Very interesting study! For some reason your link did not work for me, in case others have problem here is a working link:

Thermogenesis challenges the adipostat hypothesis for body-weight control
    Last edited by mistigi; 03-13-2012 at 01:06 PM.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    It also wasn't Kruse I was criticizing, it was Quelson(who's posts I generally like) for referring to Kruse as Paleo 3.1

As I mentioned early, he is much more intelligible offline.
    uhm My siggy is my siggy it isnt a reflection of me drinking koolaid.

Maybe i should just say

Grassfed Seafed Oil Slick Staying Frozen for preservation and doing as much HIIT as i can while trying to figure out how to drop this last 180 pounds
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Croak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    As I've always said, if his stuff helps people great.

Just don't call it paleo.

I wish he would give credit to the places he gets his info from though. For good or bad, he's an aggregator, and AFAIK, doesn't give much credit where it's due.
    I guess all the cites included in his blog posts don't count as giving credit?

I don't think he makes any bones about synthesizing information, nor do I find this to be a problem. The application of this aggregated knowledge is where he shines (especially once you learn to read "Super-Ellipse Hyperbolic").

I could give a damn what pigeonhole you put him in, but I will say that his "path to optimal" requires that you START from a Paleo-centric foundation.

Oh, and Paleo/Primal as generally practiced here or on PH could also be described as transhumanistic, it's just coming at it from a different angle.
    Last edited by Croak; 03-13-2012 at 01:49 PM.

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.
    While all of you argue over the greatness or lack there of, of the man who introduced many of us to this theory, I started my face dunks in my 52 degree tap water (oh the benefits of a well). Then I climbed into the shower and turned the temp down as I finished. We will see if I get any benefit, cold tolerence or weight loss.

LJ
    Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
    I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
    Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
    ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    So I'm in my tub doing a CT and I'm freezing my butt off. Then it hit me my trunk isn't cold - which is where I spot CT in the am. It's my legs! Ok need to make more time for ct baths in the evening. I also threw in some Epsom salts for a little xtra boost! As I finish typing this I realize I'm no longer cold!!! Whoot
    The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
    What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
    SW 190lb
    Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
    25 Sep 2011 160lbs
    1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
    GW ~135lbs
    5'3"
    Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

otzi Guest
    Today I drove for over an hour with the heater off wearing just T-Shirt (and pants, perverts). Temp in truck was 23 degrees. Felt great. Now, 4 hours later I am radiating heat like crazy.

thaijinx is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    after clearing the estrogen flood i am back to two or three a days.

gotta clear the pipes no matter your gender
    A couple of you have mentioned CT and hormones... which is what I'm particularly interested in, as I have a problem with estrogen dominance, extreemly painful periods and endometriosis. Can anyone say for sure that CT helps regulate hormones? Cause the last thing I need right now is an estrogen flood!!!!!

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thaijinx View Post
    A couple of you have mentioned CT and hormones... which is what I'm particularly interested in, as I have a problem with estrogen dominance, extreemly painful periods and endometriosis. Can anyone say for sure that CT helps regulate hormones? Cause the last thing I need right now is an estrogen flood!!!!!
    One lady had her first non-painful period in her life after only ever having super painful ones, so something good was happening with her hormones and her inflammatory response. As far as an estrogen flood, taking DIM or Calcium D-Glucarate would help to bind and remove excess estrogens.

My last period came really early, so something is happening with my hormones. I had just started CT'ing maybe about a week?
    I'm waiting to see when this next one comes and if it's more comfortable than previous ones.

Page 9 of 70 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast