Page 70 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2060686970

Thread: Cold Thermogenesis Guidelines/Results page 70

Eureka5280 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdice View Post
    that is process of heat production in mammals
    Quit spamming the forum with your worthless one line posts just to promote your stupid blog you worthless assclown.

SalubriousU is offline Senior Member
    The thing about cold thermogenesis is that it is an acute stress on your body. If you are in healthy state and your stress tolerance is pretty high, it can be effective for weight loss to an extent. I have used it in the past and it worked well in conjunction with a fat loss diet. I no longer do it because I feel there are a lot of negative health benefits to conscientiously adding certain acute stressors back into my life (I'd much rather stick to exercise as my main one.) Not only is the prolonged cold a physiological stress, but the idea of knowing that I'm going to be taking a cold shower or ice bath adds of a ton on emotional stress as well. Just a few thoughts based on my experiences.
    Salube Up! - SalubriousU

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    "We have showed that the skin affects the metabolism in the liver, and that is quite a surprise," stated the team. "We believe that the leaking of water from the skin makes the mice feel cold, and that this leads to breaking down of fat in their adipose (fat) tissue. The broken down fat is then moved to the liver. The mice move energy from the tissues to the liver."

Is this true? Could it apply to humans? Found it on craptacular Natural News so my first reaction is "B.S.!" but I see it on the web, too.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Search calories burned during SCUBA diving. There's probably something to cold thermogenesis.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

eelnus is offline Senior Member
    Is anyone still doing this?

I just listen to Kruse on a podcast and was very intrigued. That very day I was determined to try the cold shower. But I couldn't go through with it because it was too cold. I stepped in the tub and got my feet wet, but that was about it. I got cold feet! Lol.

But I did turn off the heat in my apartment. And I stopped wearing a coat. The temperature here only gets to about 45 so it's not that cold.

Today I noticed I was very cranky and ravenously hungry. Okay, I'm actually not hungry, but I just wanted to eat and eat and eat. I didn't bring enough food to satiate me, so I actually ate some butter. I'm in deep ketosis and have been for a week, so I'm not sure what is triggering this. Then it occurred to me that I'm uncomfortable because I'm slightly cold and maybe there's a connection.

Anyway, I'm not giving up yet. I want to give this experiment a go. I will try the cold shower thing again...maybe gradually like some people suggested here.

But I like reading about other people's experiences as well.

Martini is offline Member
    Im doing it having great results. Started right in the tube, the first two times where pretty miserable but i got used to it pretty quickly. I have done this like 12 times or so in the last two month. Results are great, I feel less cold outside and use less heating and aside from this it works for me as an antistress method. it doesnt matter how fucked up i feel before after doing ct I feel really chilled.

dc10 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Mark Sisson recently discussed the benefits of cold water: Cold Water Therapy | Mark's Daily Apple

Questions frequently asked on CT blogs:
    1. What temperature and how long?
    -- This seems to be subject of debate, but it seems you should go for the coldest you can stand. Many report good success with ice packs on neck and belly for 30 minutes a night, others like cool baths and showers, while others will actually soak in a tub filled with ice cubes for 30-60 minutes. If you live in a cold climate, exposure to outside air below freezing for 30-60 minutes a day seems to work also.

2. Should I supplement with vitamins during CT?
    -- Keep your normal routine going. Some foods that are known to increase the effectiveness of CT are dark chocolate, turmeric, green tea, hot peppers, and cinnamon.

3. Do I need a ketogenic diet?
    -- Dr. K says yes, Ray Cronise says no. Both agree you should eat a diet free of PUFA and processed foods (SAD).

4. How will I know if it's working?
    -- After 2-3 weeks, you will notice you shiver less and your body radiates heat more. Fat should start to come off effortlessly. You will not be as hungry since cold shunts hunger signals.

5. Where is the magic? Just increased calorie burn?
    -- The real magic behind CT is in activation of BAT (brown fat) and Uncoupling Proteins. Read more: Thermogenin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6. How do I get started?
    -- Start by filling a sink with ice cold water, cold tap water with ice cubes. Put your face in the water and leave as long as you can. This will activate your mammalian dive relex and prepare your body for longer exposure. Do this several times over a week or so. When this is tolerated well, begin taking cooler showers and baths. A common method is to take a hot shower, but for the last few minutes turn the temp down to as cold as you can stand. Work on increasing time spent in cold shower or bath To speed it up, fill a tub with cool water and gradually add ice cubes (20-40lbs). This is an advanced technique. Swimming in an unheated swimming pool or lake or ocean is also a great way to get advantage of thermal loading.

awesome, I've been doing this from time to time after a work out.

tatertot is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Not sure if anyone is still interested. Interesting subject, anyway. This guy is taking CT places...wait and see!

Let those who have dyspepsia—and that means a multitude of ills which the American people in their luxurious habits are fast bringing upon themselves—try for a time the potato diet. We have tried it not for months, but a few days at a time—long enough to satisfy us of its good effects. Newspaper article from 1849

Visit my blog: VEGETABLE PHARM

Page 70 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2060686970