Page 69 of 70 FirstFirst ... 195967686970 LastLast

Thread: Cold Thermogenesis Guidelines/Results page 69

richard is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been doing cold showers the last few months. Can't say what has improved or not improved as I've lost weight and am quite fit with no exercise and VLC ketogenic diet at the moment.

But the showers have gotten much easier. It goes like this:

1. Much less aversion to them in the first place. I don't dread them anymore.

2. I get in and am shocked. The quicker I get my face wet (mammalian dive response) the better

3. About 3 minutes into it, it gets much easier

4. About 5 minutes in the water doesn't seem that cold anymore

5. I go for 7 minutes and then get out. I'm physically cold but don't feel terribly cold.

So that's all I can really report.

otzi Guest
    I spent last winter focusing hard to get about an hour of cold exposure daily. I worked out and did intervals on a treadmill in my 40 degree garage and took a walk in below freezing temps nearly every day, dressed minimally. I live in Alaska, so I can do that!

I hate to say it, but there were no amazing results. I was able to maintain my weight over winter--which is hard. But I also think that prolonged cold exposure seems to make subcutaneous fat even more stubborn. This is actually, probably, a good thing otherwise we'd be extinct--but not so good for people looking to manipulate the cold for fat loss.

I have actually had more success with this crazy thing that anything else, cold related: https://www.coolfatburner.com/ I think that wearing this ice vest in an otherwise warm situation causes more calorie burn and fat loss than prolonged exposure to cold temps. I also think that the cold showers are better than freezing your butt off outdoors.

It seems to me that nature has a master plan for us when we are exposed to cold weather and seasons that we cannot escape or manipulate to our advantage. Brief periods of cold, like exercising while wearing a CoolFatBurner or taking a 5-10 minute cold shower and then warming up, cause a rise in muscle contractions and some other metabolic effects that are more advantageous for weightloss than trying to stay cold all winter. I think that once the cold becomes chronic--hormonal changes occur to preserve fat for survival. Just my N=1 in a really cold setting.

I had hoped that prolonged cold exposure would result in very low bodyfat content and give me the ability to eat massive quantities of food without gaining weight--but I experienced the opposite. I even tried a ketogenic diet during that time and saw no difference.

I would say that if you want to increase BAT and get a bit more bang for your buck, periodic cold showers (which I HATE) or wearing an ice vest while working out are the best methods.
    Last edited by otzi; 06-21-2013 at 09:28 AM.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I spent last winter focusing hard to get about an hour of cold exposure daily. I worked out and did intervals on a treadmill in my 40 degree garage and took a walk in below freezing temps nearly every day, dressed minimally. I live in Alaska, so I can do that!

I hate to say it, but there were no amazing results. I was able to maintain my weight over winter--which is hard. But I also think that prolonged cold exposure seems to make subcutaneous fat even more stubborn. This is actually, probably, a good thing otherwise we'd be extinct--but not so good for people looking to manipulate the cold for fat loss.

I have actually had more success with this crazy thing that anything else, cold related: https://www.coolfatburner.com/ I think that wearing this ice vest in an otherwise warm situation causes more calorie burn and fat loss than prolonged exposure to cold temps. I also think that the cold showers are better than freezing your butt off outdoors.

It seems to me that nature has a master plan for us when we are exposed to cold weather and seasons that we cannot escape or manipulate to our advantage. Brief periods of cold, like exercising while wearing a CoolFatBurner or taking a 5-10 minute cold shower and then warming up, cause a rise in muscle contractions and some other metabolic effects that are more advantageous for weightloss than trying to stay cold all winter. I think that once the cold becomes chronic--hormonal changes occur to preserve fat for survival. Just my N=1 in a really cold setting.

I had hoped that prolonged cold exposure would result in very low bodyfat content and give me the ability to eat massive quantities of food without gaining weight--but I experienced the opposite. I even tried a ketogenic diet during that time and saw no difference.

I would say that if you want to increase BAT and get a bit more bang for your buck, periodic cold showers (which I HATE) or wearing an ice vest while working out are the best methods.
    Air != water

just sang my man
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member

+1 This was basically my experience too. I gave it a good long go, daily cold baths of 30-60 minutes in 45-60 degree water. I think I gained weight, and like Otzi said, it seemed more stubborn than ever. My appetite was low, I ate very little and it did nothing to rid me of the excess.

The only great result I had was with cellulite but the effect goes away in less than a week if you stop and takes a bout a week to kick in. It also made my skin feel very silk and tight. That was all good but not really worth the time commitment and discomfort. I would still do this for a week though in prep for a beach vacation or something like that, for the cellulite elimination.

Paleobird Guest

Thanks for giving it a serious try and thanks for being able to admit that it didn't work out as you had hoped. I agree that fat is a survival adaptation. I don't think it makes sense that we would lose fat in cold weather when we need it to stay warm. Thinking about all the cold adapted mammals such as seals and whales that keep a layer of blubber as insulation.

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Very good then. I bought this -> https://www.coolfatburner.com/ a few weeks ago just to give it a shot... good thing is while everyone else is freezing in the house at 76F (and my room closer to 80 from electronics) I've been quite cool in the evenings wearing the vest (76F is a sweating temp to me, if I had it my way the thermostat would be 68F year round) so I can just use it for temp control when it's too hot for me.
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

peril is offline Senior Member
    Have been having a daily cold shower for about 15 months and walking bare armed all year round, morning and evening. Its as cold as it gets here now. One thing I've noticed is the maintenance of good muscle tone despite little heavy lifting and no sprinting. Still have a thin layer of fat around the abdomen, but with daily cheese and red wine I can't expect washboard abs.

The cold exposure is just part of my daily routine that I see no reason to change for now
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

richard is offline Senior Member
    Cold showers - benefits to me

1. I feel more willpower because I'm practicing willpower every time I step into the shower.

2. My skin is softer.

3. I smell less. I never had a problem with body odor but it is diminished even more.

4. I still can feel cold if the temp is too low but I'm less bothered by being cold.

As I noted before, the thermogenesis really takes effect around 5 minutes for me, and the last few minutes don't seem that cold at all. Don't know if this is good or bad.

me2
    me2 is offline Senior Member
    This is not true for me at all. Every summer since I was a teen I lost weight. Hot weather makes me dramatically less hungry. Additionally I have read that higher amounts of vitamin d trigger your body to stop eating so much, as there was more food available in summer months and our ancestors did not have to
    Conserve calories and eat more to withstand lean months. I still do.the cold showers yr round as it makes me withstand the cold better, but cs and spot icing has done nothin for me in terms of weight loss. Ifyi I live in co
    Sent from my ADR6350 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Notebook of a Nutrition Nerd

‘THE FOOD YOU EAT CAN BE THE SAFEST AND MOST POWERFUL FORM OF MEDICINE OR THE SLOWEST RELEASING POISON' - Dr Ann Wigmore.

Style is offline Member
    Jack Kruse was recently on the Choice Conversations podcast. Check it out:

Choice Conversations

Page 69 of 70 FirstFirst ... 195967686970 LastLast