Page 65 of 70 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast
Results 641 to 650 of 698

Thread: Cold Thermogenesis Guidelines/Results page 65

  1. #641
    gopintos's Avatar
    gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,787
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by KA24 View Post
    There's usually a window early on where it's hard to not just jump in bed and warm up.
    It has taken me about an hour to warm back up. I think I may still be cool to the touch, especially my feet, but now I am starting to get hot. I remember now, that happened last night also.

  2. #642
    Style's Avatar
    Style is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I think anyone who is doing the cold baths needs to experience 32 degree water. Even if it's just standing in a bucket full of it. It is a world of difference from 60 degree water.
    The other day I did my first face dunk. I was like “Damn that is cold!” I checked the temperature, and it was 39 degree water. The coldest I’d been in previously was a 69 cold bath. HUGE difference. Of course, regardless of temperature a face dunk is a pretty different thing than my baths, where I’m submerging everything BUT my face. Still, that was a huge difference.

    Speaking of which, what is the recommended temperature for face dunks? And how many are you supposed to do? After the 4th or 5th one I started getting brain freeze and called it a day.

    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Dead-on! I had to wean myself off the 32 degree water because it's so addicting. Definitely won't get bored and actually get a adrenalin rush just thinking about it. As the tub fills and the thermometer starts showing 30's, it's like standing on the edge of a bridge getting ready to bungee jump.
    After my first face dunk, I was getting an adrenalin rush right before I’d do additional dunks, just in anticipation. That doesn’t happen with my 70 degree bath water. I was amazed how much more intense it was. I can’t imagine sticking my whole body in that!

  3. #643
    quelsen's Avatar
    quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lexington Kentucky
    Posts
    2,972
    Quote Originally Posted by PeacefulWarrior View Post
    I just finished my 1st 7 days...
    Yesterday I took 3 showers. The 1st one was 90/10 cold, and the last 2 were 100% cold. Again this am I had a 100% cold shower. I can't believe how easy it has become. The anticipation of getting in still scares me just as much as before though.

    What differences do I see:
    My skin feels softer and tighter. Could be a coincidence. Also not as oily.
    I have always gotten a shaving rash on my neck area, about a day after shaving. Didn't have that at all this week.

    Not sure if any of the other men have noticed this (I apologize to the ladies if this is way too much info): my member has been hanging much lower than normal. Didn't check when he's at attention. But whenever I am undressed I am caught a little off guard by his prominence. The opposite is true during and after my shower (however I expected that).

    Not sure if I notice any changes in terms of how I'm carrying my fat (not my fatty). The wife and I had a date night and I consumed more food and drink than I have in a long long time. When I was getting into the shower this am, I was surprised when I looked in the mirror how lean my belly area looked. But, it was a hotel room, in a new bathroom with a different mirror and lighting than I am normally used to. So, that could explain that.
    While i have no idea where you are in the cycle i have been very very clear about results in the penis department.
    First stage, shrinkage.
    Second stage Refusal to come out and play
    third stage SuperCock

    once you get to the point where you can obtain and maintain an erection in 50-40f water you are ready for the marathon. just make certain she is ready for you.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

    Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

    CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66


    Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

  4. #644
    BestBetter's Avatar
    BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NY / Italy
    Posts
    1,210
    Yesterday I did my 2nd cold 'bath' - this time, way more ice. There were still some ice chunks floating at the end, which I take to mean that it was pretty cold (my thermometer is acting a little loopy, I don't think it's accurate, so I'm not sure exactly what the temp was). I stayed in for 25 minutes, again just the bottom half of my body, up to my waist. Interestingly, this second colder soak was easier than the first - I only had the drive to shiver for the first few minutes, then it passed, and the top part of my body didn't feel as cold as it had the day before. It was actually pretty exciting to see myself submerged in ice water, just chillin', not freaked out by the cold.

    It does seem to take me a really long time to warm up - no shivering, but my skin is VERY cold to the touch for hours afterward, and my feet seem to never warm up. However, after a few minutes of getting under the blankets in bed, my normal corpse-cold body is a raging inferno, it feels great!

  5. #645
    otzi's Avatar
    otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Style View Post
    The other day I did my first face dunk. I was like “Damn that is cold!” I checked the temperature, and it was 39 degree water. The coldest I’d been in previously was a 69 cold bath. HUGE difference. Of course, regardless of temperature a face dunk is a pretty different thing than my baths, where I’m submerging everything BUT my face. Still, that was a huge difference.

    Speaking of which, what is the recommended temperature for face dunks? And how many are you supposed to do? After the 4th or 5th one I started getting brain freeze and called it a day.



    After my first face dunk, I was getting an adrenalin rush right before I’d do additional dunks, just in anticipation. That doesn’t happen with my 70 degree bath water. I was amazed how much more intense it was. I can’t imagine sticking my whole body in that!
    The face dunks are recommended at first to elicit the 'mammalian dive reflex'. This is built into all of us, like closing your eyes when you sneeze. Lots of physiological changes take place quickly with a face dunk.

    from Mammalian diving reflex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    This reflex is triggered by cold water contacting the face. It won’t happen if the water is warmer than 70 ° or with submersion of body parts other than the face.
    Immediately upon facial contact with cold water, the heart rate slows down up to 25% and capillaries in the extremities start closing off.
    When the face is submerged, receptors that are sensitive to cold within the nasal cavity and other areas of the face supplied by cranial nerve V (trigeminal) relay the information to the brain and then innervate cranial nerve X (the vagus nerve), which is part of the autonomic nervous system. This causes bradycardia and peripheral vasoconstriction. Blood is removed from the limbs and all organs but the heart and the brain, creating a heart–brain circuit and allowing the mammal to conserve oxygen.
    In humans, the mammalian diving reflex is not induced when limbs are introduced to cold water. Mild bradycardia is caused by subjects holding their breath without submerging the face within water. When breathing with face submerged this causes a diving reflex which increases proportionally to decreasing water temperature. Activating the diving reflex with cold water can be used to treat supraventricular tachycardia. However the greatest bradycardia effect is induced when the subject is holding breath with face submerged.
    Last edited by otzi; 06-04-2012 at 08:42 AM.

  6. #646
    otzi's Avatar
    otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Yesterday I did my 2nd cold 'bath' - this time, way more ice. There were still some ice chunks floating at the end, which I take to mean that it was pretty cold (my thermometer is acting a little loopy, I don't think it's accurate, so I'm not sure exactly what the temp was). I stayed in for 25 minutes, again just the bottom half of my body, up to my waist. Interestingly, this second colder soak was easier than the first - I only had the drive to shiver for the first few minutes, then it passed, and the top part of my body didn't feel as cold as it had the day before. It was actually pretty exciting to see myself submerged in ice water, just chillin', not freaked out by the cold.

    It does seem to take me a really long time to warm up - no shivering, but my skin is VERY cold to the touch for hours afterward, and my feet seem to never warm up. However, after a few minutes of getting under the blankets in bed, my normal corpse-cold body is a raging inferno, it feels great!
    I use a cheap turkey cooking thermometer. It's digital and has a probe you stick in the turkey to tell you it's temperature. The cable is about 3 feet long so the readout display is outside the oven. This works really good and seems to be quite accurate.

  7. #647
    Paleobirdy's Avatar
    Paleobirdy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    560
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Kruse is putting stuff out there that is pretty wild. I can see why Sisson and others would want to put some distance beween themselves and Kruse.

    Sisson is all about diet, exercise, vanity, health, and selling books&products while Kruse wants to change the way medicine is practiced in the world and end all disease of modern civilization.
    ha ha! I see that CT'ing has allowed you to keep your sense of humor.

  8. #648
    Paleobirdy's Avatar
    Paleobirdy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    560
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    But this is exactly what I am talking about. You went Primal but are attributing the benefits to the CT. My blood pressure and weight both came down quite dramatically too just with going Primal. You have had a few months for Primal living to start cleaning out your system and heal your metabolism.

    I think it's great that you are getting less medicated. I did this too by going Primal as did my Dad.

    As to someone making a buck off it, cool (pun intended). But if the people making a buck off it are only quoting each other and the real scientific data just isn't there, I remain skeptical (and comfortably warm).

    But you all have fun. Whatever floats yer boat.
    But you are not just skeptical. You are condescending to others who have found success with it. You used to be so much fun here. What happened?

  9. #649
    Whitefox's Avatar
    Whitefox is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Arlington, MA
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Years ago I read a great book called 'Survival of the Sickest', and in one of the chapters there was some discussion about why cold temperatures promote increased urination (ultimately, it's a defense against possible damage from water within cells freezing and bursting). I wonder is this is at least in part responsible for reduced inflammation after cold treatments - they signal the body to dump all the excess water that is hanging out where it shouldn't be...sorry for the oversimplification, I'm sure there's a much more scientific way to word that.
    That's a pretty awesome theory. Can excess water retention in the wrong places actually cause inflammation? If so, CT +1, CW 0. I read the book too - probably my favorite science book (besides the primal blueprint, of course). The entire book has a very evolutionary/paleo focus, which made so much sense back when I read it; and now it's the same for nutrition as well. I'm excited for the future

  10. #650
    Whitefox's Avatar
    Whitefox is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Arlington, MA
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    While i have no idea where you are in the cycle i have been very very clear about results in the penis department.
    First stage, shrinkage.
    Second stage Refusal to come out and play
    third stage SuperCock

    once you get to the point where you can obtain and maintain an erection in 50-40f water you are ready for the marathon. just make certain she is ready for you.
    ^This is amazing. If we changed the title of this forum to "Paleo Viagra in 3 easy steps", I bet this thread's popularity would skyrocket.

Page 65 of 70 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •