Page 64 of 70 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Thermogenesis Guidelines/Results page 64

Whitefox is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I think there is great merit to what you are doing. Any temp below thermoneutral causes the body to ramp up heat production and increase calorie burn. Probably not a whole lot calorie wise, but if it's also increasing BAT stores it will eventually add up.

My initial reason for going to extreme cold temps was that I live in Alaska near the arctic circle and run a river boat whenever the rivers are ice-free. I was raised on stories that you can't survive more than a few minutes in our cold waters and saw first-hand many people drown and die of hypothermia.

I now know that with proper adaptation one can acclimate themselves to cold temperatures. The main reason for the drownings isn't the cold, it's the shock and panic. I have spent 45 minutes in water that is said to kill in 15! If my boat capsizes, I feel confident I could survive the coldest waters we have.

As to the health benefits of cold, I think antiinflammation is best with the coldest water possible, but it isn't needed for cold thermogenesis to occur and impart it's BAT and UCP actions.

Good luck and let us know how it works for you!
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/25/he...inds.html?_r=1

This article says it's 250 calories over a 3 hour period, where the water used was 18 degrees celsius. So not that much for mild CT over a long period of time, but I bet that more hardcore CT would use more to stabilize the core temp. And, as you said, the effects would be multiplicative because with more BAT, fat usage would be less efficient during low-level activity (like long walks/light jogs) and the irisin exercise hormone would convert still more WAT to BAT. Pretty exciting. I wonder if it's possible to have too much BAT and too little WAT? Probably not, because the article said that BAT in average people is only a few ounces, but if they came out with an irisin pill... the possibilities are endless O.o

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitefox View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/25/he...inds.html?_r=1

This article says it's 250 calories over a 3 hour period, where the water used was 18 degrees celsius. So not that much for mild CT over a long period of time, but I bet that more hardcore CT would use more to stabilize the core temp. And, as you said, the effects would be multiplicative because with more BAT, fat usage would be less efficient during low-level activity (like long walks/light jogs) and the irisin exercise hormone would convert still more WAT to BAT. Pretty exciting. I wonder if it's possible to have too much BAT and too little WAT? Probably not, because the article said that BAT in average people is only a few ounces, but if they came out with an irisin pill... the possibilities are endless O.o
    The last paragraph of that article says a lot: "As for deliberately making yourself cold if you want to lose weight, Dr. Carpentier said, “there is still a lot of research to do before this strategy can be exploited clinically and safely.”

Trust me, this works as a weight loss tool, problem is, no one can figure out how to get rich off it. The liability would be huge if someone came out and recommended doing what I'm doing with extreme cold or even mild cold; if people started dropping dead of hypothermia or getting frost bite there'd be huge repercussions.

I have a feeling this 'cold' movement will snowball in the next few years. People will be selling all kinds of 'safe' methods to get cold. Pills will be developed. Supplements will be touted as the best for BAT development.

The other day, on my country radio station, they gave a teaser: "Lose weight this summer taking a cold bath, stay tuned to learn how!" I wasn't able to stay tuned, so don't know what they said, but I'll bet it wasn't free.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I have a feeling this 'cold' movement will snowball in the next few years.
    30 lashes with a cold, wet noodle for that one!

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Years ago I read a great book called 'Survival of the Sickest', and in one of the chapters there was some discussion about why cold temperatures promote increased urination (ultimately, it's a defense against possible damage from water within cells freezing and bursting). I wonder is this is at least in part responsible for reduced inflammation after cold treatments - they signal the body to dump all the excess water that is hanging out where it shouldn't be...sorry for the oversimplification, I'm sure there's a much more scientific way to word that.

kkEspana is offline Junior Member

oh its great

I'm surprized, thanks!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    DH was thrilled One more reason for me to tell him to go take a cold shower

PeacefulWarrior is offline Senior Member
    I just finished my 1st 7 days...
    Yesterday I took 3 showers. The 1st one was 90/10 cold, and the last 2 were 100% cold. Again this am I had a 100% cold shower. I can't believe how easy it has become. The anticipation of getting in still scares me just as much as before though.

What differences do I see:
    My skin feels softer and tighter. Could be a coincidence. Also not as oily.
    I have always gotten a shaving rash on my neck area, about a day after shaving. Didn't have that at all this week.

Not sure if any of the other men have noticed this (I apologize to the ladies if this is way too much info): my member has been hanging much lower than normal. Didn't check when he's at attention. But whenever I am undressed I am caught a little off guard by his prominence. The opposite is true during and after my shower (however I expected that).

Not sure if I notice any changes in terms of how I'm carrying my fat (not my fatty). The wife and I had a date night and I consumed more food and drink than I have in a long long time. When I was getting into the shower this am, I was surprised when I looked in the mirror how lean my belly area looked. But, it was a hotel room, in a new bathroom with a different mirror and lighting than I am normally used to. So, that could explain that.
    "Your actions speak to me so loud, I can not hear a single word you are saying."

I am day 2. Bath not shower. Again started warm but started cold much sooner this time. I was also able to wiggle lower and lower. I think a key thing for me, is not getting my hair wet.

No exercise today, and no yogurt, almonds, or banana. 1089 calories, 69c/67f/52protein. I was hungry at bedtime last night and when I woke up but stuck with my bp coffee & we didnt eat lunch until after 1. And as hungry as I was this morning, consumed even fewer calories today than yesterday. That is not a goal of mine, that is just how it worked out.

I forgot to time it again, but I know more than 30 and probably more like 40.

I am sure this is addressed somewhere, I have probably already read it, but as I sit here a little shivery and cold, do I just suck it up? Which is what I am doing, but I would really like to go crawl under an electric blanket... or take a nice hot bath I am guessing just stick it out to maximize benefits. No socks, no blankets, no hot tea.

KA24 is offline Junior Member
    It gets better. Just wait. I can't shiver anymore. Even after 20+ minutes of freezing. There's usually a window early on where it's hard to not just jump in bed and warm up.

I just started a fast, planning on going 24-hours, CT'ing in 50 degree and then continuing the fast for another 14 hours. 2 oz 100% cacao, 2 tbsp butter, 2 tbsp coconut oil and 2 tbsp of peanut butter with a sweet potato. Should last me until tomorrow night around this time.

Any other CT+fasting regulars?

Page 64 of 70 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast