Page 63 of 70 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Thermogenesis Guidelines/Results page 63

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    ah she said it was Thermage and it is heat based. Maybe she will try the ice packs now
    Looks like a different kind of problem

Ok if this doesnt do anything, I am going to be so PO'd

I was cold before I got in, so I put in a little hot water, to warm up, then went to straight cold. Well water, so around 52 (?) up to about an inch from the top. This particular tub is a claw shape type, but wooden, so pretty deep. I was reclined, so most of my body was submersed. The couple of parts that werent, I dont really want to reduce anyways.

So anyways, was reading PB-21 so I stayed about 40 minutes. But I have no idea as to the temp. I shivered and goosebumps on top of goosebumps initially but they went away as long as I was still

It passed quickly since I was reading. DH had to come knock on the door to check on me so I was in there for awhile. But he does that when I take hot baths also because I stay so long.

I expected to be freezing when I got out, but I am not. But I dont have the air on and a nice breeze blowing in which has the house at 74. However I walked through the foyer and it is open to the top and I can feel that the a/c is on upstairs, so that room made me feel colder. I also did not get my hair wet so I think that helps.

So anyways, I survived. I kept my macros for the day to 34 carbs/75 fat/94 protein and 1219 calories and 16 cups of water. Exercise wasnt anything to speak of really. I did get into the pond but not completely, so I didnt do anything I could count as exercise.

Cant wait to try it again and see what benefits I might have... some day

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    So I am about 20 pounds farther behind where I thought I would be today and only 2 more months to go until Sturgis so I want to lose as much as I can by then, even though I realize I still wont be where I need to be, but I want to be way closer than I am now.
    From my research, it seems that it takes 2-4 months to see the results from fat cell death. I keep reading that apoptosis happens within a few days of spot icing, but it takes several months for the body's macrophage cells to totally consume the dead fat cells. Since I'm fairly new to this, I can't speak from experience, so maybe MamaGrok or Otzi can chime in here about a realistic timeline. I think Otzie mentioned it took about 8 weeks to notice a decrease in waist size, right?

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    From my research, it seems that it takes 2-4 months to see the results from fat cell death. I keep reading that apoptosis happens within a few days of spot icing, but it takes several months for the body's macrophage cells to totally consume the dead fat cells. Since I'm fairly new to this, I can't speak from experience, so maybe MamaGrok or Otzi can chime in here about a realistic timeline. I think Otzie mentioned it took about 8 weeks to notice a decrease in waist size, right?
    2-4 months it is, sadly. But once it starts, it really goes. I would think daily treatments for 2-4 weeks, then lay off and see what happens. A few months later do it again.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I've sat in 32 degree water full of ice cubes for 45 minutes, swam in water 45 degrees, and jogged barefoot in the snow--all were easier than a cold tap-water shower! I hate cold showers. I am really impressed by people who can take cold showers, I think they are very therapeutic, I just can't take it...
    So, I just filled up my rubbermaid storge bin with the cold water from my shower (which measures 50 degrees) and was able to submerge my lower body up to my waist. I felt a little silly, but I stayed in for 20 minutes. It was WAY easier than the showers- actually, the part of mybody that was under water was not cold or uncomfortable at all, but the top half of my body that wasn't in the water was all goosebumpy and super cold. It wish I could have fit my whole body under water, I think I would have felt less cold!

My hair is still NOT falling out, my BO seems to be gone. My skin is definitely tighter and better looking. I'm not sure if I'm getting cold adapted, but I'm definitely less afraid of the cold - which makes me feel pretty tough! I can't wait to be a badass walking around in the snow barefoot...or maybe suntanning in the snow, ha!

Whitefox is offline Junior Member
    Yeah Scholar and PubMed are like my life, sadly enough. I saw a bit of that shift in opinion on BAT as a bunch of people started referencing it with new studies (some of my friends even mentioned they had to learn about UCP for their biochem test). I think a BAT thesis would be very interesting - I hope once we can easily measure it in everyone it'd become a nice health predictor (unlike average telomere length, which Mark ruined for us with that telomere post ). And hey, in organic chemistry we used 2,4 DNP to make dyes! Sucks about the blindness thing; I'm glad i didn't inhale it haha.

As for my actually trying CT, I got halfway through the 30-day cold shower challenge, then finals hit and I decided I needed some extra comfort in my life. On rare occasions, I have gone swimming in Maine. I don't know how cold that water gets in the summer, but it felt like -15 fahrenheit. Maybe that's because I was used to "cold" being 65 degrees.. nah, can't be. Anyways despite my half-assed experiences with CT, I do think it's a very new-wave thing (like Paleo!) that has some solid science backing it.

KA24, I didn't mean to say the therapy as a whole is a bad thing, but that too much of a good thing can be, you know? Also, billions of people have never heard of Primal, or intermittent fasting, or carb refeeds, or protein's satiating/thermogenic effect, or HIIT, etc. Doing diet and exercise the right way simply has to work, barring some prior hormone imbalance, because that's how human biochemistry works; billions of people are just doing it wrong, which is not necessarily their fault, but is definitely CW's fault. Diet and exercise can get rid of plateaus without CT, but CT may make the journey easier by "uncoupling" one's reliance on stricter diet/exercise to do so.

KA24 is offline Junior Member
    Oh I agree with your last paragraph. I'd venture to say that if more were exposed to that list of stuff you mentioned, including CT, we'd see an upswing in health across the board.

Of course, I have to assume that those on this site, specifically, those reading the CT thread, are probably wanting to at least know what it's about.

I ended up going about 45 minutes tonight, as close as I could get to freezing water. I'll post about it tomorrow. Not perfect, but definitely good stuff...

OK, after I went to bed, all was well. Then my usual night sweats. Those really only started after PB so I do not think it is menopause. At least all that stuff was normal last year so it could be the start I guess, but if so the timing was another co-inky dink.

So anyways, I was already having these little bursts of heat/sweat, very short, like seconds kind of short, certainly less than a minute, then followed my cold chills because I have the fan on. So last night, the sweats lasted the same length but seemed more intense, as in more sweat faster. They were still short and sweet. I can't say if I had more of them, but seemed like maybe so but can't be sure.

I didnt weigh yesterday morning. This was because it ended up that we ate out twice Friday. And I dont think I did too awfully bad, and had planned on skipping dinner but family called and wanted to meet up yada yada. So I just decided not to weigh the morning after.

So yesterday, I IF till lunch. (yes I BP coffee for breakfast. I know that has it's own controversary but I enjoy it and I think it helps me so for now, I use it) I took my supplements which I was forgetting since I started skipping breakfast but I think I do better with them, so yesterday morning, that was one of my goals for June, take my supplements. I also decided to cut out yogurt (.5 cup per day), almonds (.25-.5 oz in my yogurt) & one banana per day. Will add it back in one by one so I can pin point the effects, if possible. No real activity the past few days either. Just walking around, shopping, sweeping, watering the garden and moving garden hose type stuff. Nothing exerting.

Okay so anyways, drum roll please......... down 1.1 since Friday morning! So if I can stay here and continue down, it will be new lows for me. (well new lows since gaining that is)

I am not saying any one thing did it, and not that quickly, and I understand CT is a slow progress, I am just glad to be progressing down. Although I already miss my little yogurt snack but will find something else I like if I need it. I was slightly hungry when I went to bed, which was about 4 hours after dinner, 3 hours after CT. Thought I might not make it to lunch today, and I might not but doing okay so far. So I will keep doing the CT and will try to spot CT tonight also. Summer seems like a great time to try it so there is no reason not to try.

Thanks for all the info in this thread. I am only up to about page 30 I think. I wish I would have paid attention from the beginning. It started about the same time I started PB, but my mind (nor body) was not ready for it yet. I do remember reading something not all that long ago but then that thread (not sure if this one or a different one) was sidetracked with skin brushing or something, and I remember trying a quick shower and it wasnt so bad, but then havent thought about it since. I dont think my mind/body was ready to accept all this info at that time. It is all a progression for me it seems.

Anways, thanks for all the info and feedback

peril is offline Senior Member
    I'm trying to incorporate cold exposure into my daily life rather than add another activity to it. This means having cold showers (time saving as I don't wallow as I did in hot showers) and generally wearing less or lighter clothing. Only just going in to winter now so yet to see how I handle but our winter is very mild. Neither Cronise nor Kruse have long term evidence of benefit from more extreme protocols so I'm focussing on returning to older ways of life to be more one with nature rather than swing from one extreme to another
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

otzi Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    I'm trying to incorporate cold exposure into my daily life rather than add another activity to it. This means having cold showers (time saving as I don't wallow as I did in hot showers) and generally wearing less or lighter clothing. Only just going in to winter now so yet to see how I handle but our winter is very mild. Neither Cronise nor Kruse have long term evidence of benefit from more extreme protocols so I'm focussing on returning to older ways of life to be more one with nature rather than swing from one extreme to another
    I think there is great merit to what you are doing. Any temp below thermoneutral causes the body to ramp up heat production and increase calorie burn. Probably not a whole lot calorie wise, but if it's also increasing BAT stores it will eventually add up.

My initial reason for going to extreme cold temps was that I live in Alaska near the arctic circle and run a river boat whenever the rivers are ice-free. I was raised on stories that you can't survive more than a few minutes in our cold waters and saw first-hand many people drown and die of hypothermia.

I now know that with proper adaptation one can acclimate themselves to cold temperatures. The main reason for the drownings isn't the cold, it's the shock and panic. I have spent 45 minutes in water that is said to kill in 15! If my boat capsizes, I feel confident I could survive the coldest waters we have.

As to the health benefits of cold, I think antiinflammation is best with the coldest water possible, but it isn't needed for cold thermogenesis to occur and impart it's BAT and UCP actions.

Good luck and let us know how it works for you!

Page 63 of 70 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast