Page 60 of 70 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Thermogenesis Guidelines/Results page 60

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Umm... ok. BULLSHIT>

I used to have to do cold therapy for an injury.
    Leg submerged to above knee.
    It was just as cold, gasp inducing, numbing, and freaking PAINFUL the 100th* time as it was the first.
    *estimate... it was 5 times a week for several months. I don't know the exact number of exposures.

The warming up after ward did not feel "great". It was freaking miserable.

Good lord.
    Exactly. If you try really hard you can "get used to it" but the pain is still there.

I really think there is an adrenaline/endorphin rush in response to pain which can become addictive for some people. Being an adrenaline junkie (where ever the source of the rush, bungee jumping, gambling, driving like a maniac, or ice baths) is just not healthy. That is a chronic stress on your whole body. Elevated cortisol, potential problems down the line with adrenal fatigue.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    No, my 50F river bath *was* painful & cold at first, and now is not.

Hey, I just remembered another "benefit." You can decide ... GUYS STOP READING HERE. TMI. DON'T SAY YOU WEREN'T WARNED.

AF all my life came at any time of day, but never at night, and came light for a few days, then more and more, then tapered off a few days.

Since starting CT in February - the only change I made at the time, after being primal for two years, etc., etc., - that very month, AF started coming while I slept, and strong (but never super super heavy like it would be by day 4 & 5 before ... and interestingly, there's a lot when I choose to wipe, but very little external flow until that moment), then gone after 2 or 3 days, just shut off like a tap.

Each of the four months since then were exactly like this.

I've read that it's supposed to be like this from women in traditional societies. It's so much easier, very predictable, and I could totally see how women managed something like this for the couple dozen times they would have had AF in their lives.

I can't wait to re-test my hormones. Many women have seen lighter PMS, lighter cramps, lighter flow. I never had PMS, never had cramps, so I wonder if I'm just closer on the scale to "ideal" and so I'm seeing the ideal AF as my first big hormonal change. (Never had too much estrogen, just too little of most things and too high an E:P ratio.)
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Also, 33 degree water tightens all exposed skin in a way that will blow your mind. Look at your kneecaps when you are in there, they are like leather pads with strange divots and dimples that I still can't quite figure out. Your skin will turn a cheery pink. Fat cells exposed to this temp for very long will literally kill themselves as the fat congeals and destroys itself--this is called apoptosis and occurs at a temperature just above freezing. Temps at freezing or below will kill skin and tissue (frostbite), but temps just above freezing will kill subcutaneous fat. This is how Zetiq works.
    Just started snooping around here the past few days. This is very interesting. Fascinating even. I wish hot baths melted it away like fat in the frying pan. I love nice long hot baths.

I wonder if DH would wonder why I was taking the long thermometer to the tub with me....

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Just started snooping around here the past few days. This is very interesting. Fascinating even. I wish hot baths melted it away like fat in the frying pan. I love nice long hot baths.

I wonder if DH would wonder why I was taking the long thermometer to the tub with me....
    I love hot baths, too, in fact I have a hot tub on my deck. It is presently set at 90 degrees, but in the winter we turn it up to 100. Just because you want to try out this cold bath stuff doesn't mean you can never be warm again. I take a hot shower every morning.

The trick to making cold water work for you is to do it repeatedly until you habituate to it. You'll see what I mean, and it's a real no-brainer. Try soaking in 50-60 degree water at first. This is a good temp to acclimate and there's little danger of hypothermia. When you can jump right in and soak for 30-45 minutes without shivering too bad, you are well acclimated. If you are getting bored, try reading or listening to music. Try to get at least 20 minutes, the longer the better.

When this gets easy, make it colder. Really cold water (under 40 degrees, but closer to 32) will cause fat cell death. Not just shrinkage, but death as in liposuction-like removal. See Zeltiq references or Google Zeltiq. They would love to charge you $1500 for a treatment, but you can do it yourself with ice or cold water.

Not sure what your goals are or where you are in life. If you want weight loss, incorporate 50-60 degree water baths for a long time, several times a week. If you want to remove some excess jiggly stuff, get it cold and try ice packs as described in here many places.

Report back!

otzi Guest
    I went to a Zeltiq website ( CoolSculpting - CoolSculpting ) and found all this.

Now, I want you to replace the words "Coolsculpting" with "An Ice Pack"

- CoolSculpting is a breakthrough, non-invasive procedure that uses cooling technology to noticeably eliminate fat without surgery. Your doctor will determine if you are a good candidate and work with you to determine the best treatment plan during a one-on-one consultation.

- CoolSculpting is not a weight loss solution for people who are obese, or a substitute for surgical methods such as liposuction. Good candidates have noticeable bulges in certain areas they’d like to get rid of. Your doctor will determine if treatment is right for you during a one-on-one consultation.

- You and your doctor first select the area(s) to be treated. Your doctor will position the device on your body. The device will then draw the bulge up between two cooling panels. The sensation is a firm pull and pressure – enough of a pull to ensure the selected tissue will be cooled most efficiently. An hour or so later, depending on your needs, you’re done.

- As the cooling begins during the first few minutes, you will feel pressure and intense cold. This soon dissipates. Many people read, work on their laptop, or even take a nap during their treatment.

- During your consultation, your doctor will discuss how much time should be allotted based on your individual treatment plan. A typical treatment can last between one and three hours.

- Typically, each CoolSculpting treatment results in a noticeable reduction of fat in the treated area. After the initial treatment is complete, you can attain further reductions with additional treatments, resulting in even more fat loss. Some patients find that just one treatment fully addresses their goals. You and your doctor will discuss and design a plan that suits you best.

- You may start to see changes as quickly as three weeks after your treatment, and will experience the most dramatic results after two months. But your body will still flush out fat cells and continues doing so for up to four to six months after treatment.

- No supplements or pills are required and you do not have to adopt new diet and exercise habits. Many patients feel more motivated to take care of themselves after the CoolSculpting treatment, too. Like they get a second lease on their body and want to start anew again by taking even better care of themselves.

- CoolSculptingŪ is FDA-cleared for the flanks (love handles) and abdomen and is proven to be a safe and effective treatment. Typically, there is minimal to no downtime after the treatment though patients may experience temporary pain or discomfort. Side effects can include redness, bruising, swelling, tenderness to the touch, cramping, itching, tingling, and numbness. Numbness can persist up to several weeks after a procedure. Your doctor can talk to you more about what to expect during and after treatment when you meet for your consultation.

- The price for CoolSculpting varies, depending on your areas of concern, the number of treatments needed and your ultimate goals. Your doctor would need to assess you in person to help estimate the cost. Typically, you’ll see a noticeable reduction of fat in the treated area after one visit, but you may appreciate even more fat reduction with additional treatments.

- When you have your CoolSculpting treatment, the affected fat cells will be eliminated. As long as you maintain your weight with your normal diet and exercise, your long-term results should remain stable

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Not sure what your goals are or where you are in life. If you want weight loss, incorporate 50-60 degree water baths for a long time, several times a week. If you want to remove some excess jiggly stuff, get it cold and try ice packs as described in here many places.

Report back!
    This, this, this & this. All the above

I guess I will have to start at the beginning of the thread, which I think I did but then jumped to the end. Fascinating. Just fascinating. I wonder what my pond is. It has been pretty chilly here the past few days. Fascinating.

So... what happens to it? I am not so sure what happens to the other fat during weight loss either. I guess I figure it exists through urine, maybe that is elementary, I dont know. But I havent ever asked or read or researched that. So what happens to the dead fat cells, well the fat in them first, and then the fat cells.

I can research all that also, just thought I would ask. This is fascinating. Have I said that already?

I hate being cold, and am a bit cold natured. Normally. But since Primal, I tend to run hot most of the time. Especially after eating. And various times during the night. I can research this question also, but is there a good, better, best, worst time to do it? Okay, google Zeltig. Will do!

Fascinating. Dead fat cells, removing jiggly stuff. Fascinating.

otzi Guest
    This, this, this & this. All the above

I guess I will have to start at the beginning of the thread, which I think I did but then jumped to the end. Fascinating. Just fascinating. I wonder what my pond is. It has been pretty chilly here the past few days. Fascinating.

So... what happens to it? I am not so sure what happens to the other fat during weight loss either. I guess I figure it exists through urine, maybe that is elementary, I dont know. But I havent ever asked or read or researched that. So what happens to the dead fat cells, well the fat in them first, and then the fat cells.

I can research all that also, just thought I would ask. This is fascinating. Have I said that already?

I hate being cold, and am a bit cold natured. Normally. But since Primal, I tend to run hot most of the time. Especially after eating. And various times during the night. I can research this question also, but is there a good, better, best, worst time to do it? Okay, google Zeltig. Will do!

Fascinating. Dead fat cells, removing jiggly stuff. Fascinating.
    Conventional Wisdom states: There is no way to reduce the number of fat cells your body acquires. The best you can do is reduce the size of the fat cells by eating a healthy diet containing plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. The other alternative is to get liposuction, but if you don't eat a healthy diet after the liposuction, the fat cells with fill again with fat.

Ok so I was at my daughter's the other day, and she is maybe 100lbs, maybe 5ft. And she is talking about having a procedure done. She has had two children, 26 years old, and she is self conscious about this little bit of something in her tummy area, and she was telling me about this procedure she is going to have done and now I am thinking this coolsculpting stuff is what she was talking about. Did I read something about spot icing? I wonder if she can save herself some money and just do this herself? hmmm

Ok, I am going to give this a try, starting tomorrow. I have 2 months before Sturgis. Time to pull out all the stops. I had been losing about 8- 10 pounds a month pre-primal, and probably it was just time to slow that down, but since going primal in Mid-March, March I lost 5 pounds, April I lost 3 but ended the month back up so that meant 1 pound lost in all of April! And then there's May. Started IFing the first week of May and lost 5 pounds and then another pound or two but ended May with 5.5 pounds lost. So I am about 20 pounds farther behind where I thought I would be today and only 2 more months to go until Sturgis so I want to lose as much as I can by then, even though I realize I still wont be where I need to be, but I want to be way closer than I am now. This is worth a try to me. Also going to eliminate my .5 ounces of sliced almonds that I have most every day. I also have .5 cup of homemade greek yogurt w/ the almonds and a banana. Going to cut that also. I dont know what else to cut. I only have 1000 - 1200 calories per day, including my BP coffee for breakfast. Some days I can get it up to 13-1400. I had cut out the yogurt and fruit but added it back in the first part of May, when I broke my stall w/the coffee and IFing. But now I seem to be stalling again. So I need something to shake it up for June, so maybe this is it.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Did I read something about spot icing?
    Oh duh. I see I even quoted it. "try ice packs." I think I need to go to bed.

Page 60 of 70 FirstFirst ... 10505859606162 ... LastLast