Page 51 of 70 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Thermogenesis Guidelines/Results page 51

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Wasn't that the thing with Washington crossing the Delaware too? Everyone assumed it was too cold and icy to cross, so it was kind of a surprise attack?

My history and geography both really suck. But I seem to remember hearing that recently.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Washington crossed in boats. With men who mostly couldn't swim at all, a bunch of horses, and (IIRC) 18 cannon! The Delaware still froze regularly then, toward the end of the Little Ice Age. It's a fascinating, fantastic Christmas Day surprise attack story!
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

KA24 is offline Junior Member
    I'm planning on doing an extremely cold soak tonight (40 lbs of ice in the tub) and going for about 20-30 minutes. Followed by a pre-designed Kettlebell session with swings, deadlifts and snatches.

Paleobird Guest
    But, wait a minute here folks. Humanity evolved in a very temperate climate, equatorial Africa. I now live in a very temperate climate, southern California. It's about 72 degrees all year. I rarely use my heater and don't even have AC. You can grow berries here all year long. I don't feel like I am "out of touch" with any natural cycles if I eat berries whenever and tubers whenever and meat whenever because it all grows here whenever.

Kruse went paleo/primal and lost a bunch of weight and got healthy. Great. But now he is telling us that these extra tweaks are essential? Tell that to someone like Dave Parsons who just went primal. I think Kruse is adding unnecessary layers of complexity just to make a "brand" that he can sell instead of just saying follow the PB.

Style is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    What, specifically, do you find excessively regimented? The exercise timing is; I agree that it would be difficult to implement for most, worth trying if you can possibly, but I wouldn't sweat it if not. Otherwise, I agree with otzi.
    I'm not going to reread the article, but what otzi described seems about 100 times less regimented than Kruse. It was stuff like making sure 50% of your daily carbs occur during breakfast, timing your meals, exercise from 1-4pm in the sun, etc.

I eat what I want when I want, as long as it's primal approved. Now keep in mind that part of being primal approved is being local and in season. So what Kruse is detailing you have on the menu seasonally is not a deviation from primal, not a deviation from what I was doing from before I ever heard of Kruse. That part I'm not complaining about. (At least not too much. Since I discovered Mark I've been an 80/20 primal guy, and some non-local non-seasonal stuff slips into that 20 from time to time.)

otzi, that is an awesome story about the pike!

PeacefulWarrior, when your 6 pack is revealed then you'll have the last laugh. In the meantime, it might help if you don't let your wife see you naked during and for a while after CT. LOL!

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Style View Post
    I'm not going to reread the article, but what otzi described seems about 100 times less regimented than Kruse. It was stuff like making sure 50% of your daily carbs occur during breakfast, timing your meals, exercise from 1-4pm in the sun, etc.

I eat what I want when I want, as long as it's primal approved. Now keep in mind that part of being primal approved is being local and in season. So what Kruse is detailing you have on the menu seasonally is not a deviation from primal, not a deviation from what I was doing from before I ever heard of Kruse. That part I'm not complaining about. (At least not too much. Since I discovered Mark I've been an 80/20 primal guy, and some non-local non-seasonal stuff slips into that 20 from time to time.)

otzi, that is an awesome story about the pike!

PeacefulWarrior, when your 6 pack is revealed then you'll have the last laugh. In the meantime, it might help if you don't let your wife see you naked during and for a while after CT. LOL!
    I'd recommend just keep doing what your doing and follow Mark's approach to primal eating. If you get bored, want some tweaks, or have some serious medical conditions you may want to check out Kruse--but Sisson is cool. He even talks about seasonal eating here: Read more: Seasonality, Climate and Diet | Mark's Daily Apple

" As long as you stick with the basics and avoid those foods that weren’t available, regardless of season, stuff like refined sugar, vegetable oils, grains, and legumes, everything else is just fudging with the margins. Keep one eye on the tropics and another on the Paleolithic climatic region of your choice. Could a descendent of Northern Europeans, a regular Norseman, thrive on a tropical diet of fish, coconuts, pork, and yams? I bet he could. Could a Native American grow old and strong on the modern Primal hybrid eating plan of Big Ass Salads, omelets, and crock pot recipes? Sure, why not.

Seasonality shouldn’t be limiting. The fact that our ancestors evolved with perennial warmth and were still able to thrive in regions with actual seasons means we can handle just about anything. It means we can eat according to any season as long as we remember the basic nutritional laws that bind us all together, rules that were initially written in the tropics and then expanded upon in myriad other climates, seasons, and regions."

Read more: Seasonality, Climate and Diet | Mark's Daily Apple

otzi Guest
    [QUOTE=Style;847201]otzi, that is an awesome story about the pike!

QUOTE]

Not all that impressive of an accomplishment, though, the pike routinely go into swampy areas when the water gets high and then become entangled in a maze of brush when the level drops. I do it all the time.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    But, wait a minute here folks. Humanity evolved in a very temperate climate, equatorial Africa. I now live in a very temperate climate, southern California. It's about 72 degrees all year. I rarely use my heater and don't even have AC. You can grow berries here all year long. I don't feel like I am "out of touch" with any natural cycles if I eat berries whenever and tubers whenever and meat whenever because it all grows here whenever.

Kruse went paleo/primal and lost a bunch of weight and got healthy. Great. But now he is telling us that these extra tweaks are essential? Tell that to someone like Dave Parsons who just went primal. I think Kruse is adding unnecessary layers of complexity just to make a "brand" that he can sell instead of just saying follow the PB.
    I guess it's all about your optic. I'm in sub-arctic Alaska. You are in California.
    Kruse is all about mammalian evolution--not human evolution. All mammal ancestors descended from a few survivors of the KT extinction event. These survivors had to quickly acclimate to cold and darkness. The same survival code is still in all mammals, it is theorized. It just so happened that modern hominids arose in Africa, that doesn't mean their entire lineage also evolved soley in Africa. I kind of get lost why this argument even comes up so often, of course humans can eat and survive on just about anything edible--even sugar and soybean oil.
    Last edited by otzi; 05-29-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    Of course one could live on crap foods if necessary. What's your point?
    I just meant that for Kruse to claim that all this complexity is *essential* and *crucial* for everyone to do sounds like hype to me.

This from Mark sounds sensible.

Seasonality, Climate and Diet | Mark's Daily Apple

" As long as you stick with the basics and avoid those foods that weren’t available, regardless of season, stuff like refined sugar, vegetable oils, grains, and legumes, everything else is just fudging with the margins. Keep one eye on the tropics and another on the Paleolithic climatic region of your choice. Could a descendent of Northern Europeans, a regular Norseman, thrive on a tropical diet of fish, coconuts, pork, and yams? I bet he could. Could a Native American grow old and strong on the modern Primal hybrid eating plan of Big Ass Salads, omelets, and crock pot recipes? Sure, why not.

Seasonality shouldn’t be limiting. The fact that our ancestors evolved with perennial warmth and were still able to thrive in regions with actual seasons means we can handle just about anything. It means we can eat according to any season as long as we remember the basic nutritional laws that bind us all together, rules that were initially written in the tropics and then expanded upon in myriad other climates, seasons, and regions."
    Last edited by Paleobird; 05-29-2012 at 03:48 PM.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I just started reading about CT obsessively a few days ago, read through this entire thread, and whatever I could find elsewhere, which was mainly just Kruse/Nikolay/Cronise stuff, plus some links Otzie posted about cold showers. Since i don't have a bathtub in my current apartment, and it's now summer, so no outside cold air, I'm taking 15 minute-ish cold showers and putting ice packs on my tummy - my goal is to get ride of my inflammation and those last few stubborn pounds, so fingers crossed!

One thing I noticed already - I normally lose a TON of hair in the shower - literally 2 handfuls, then more when I comb it afterward. I've been trying all sorts of supplements and increasing my carbs to see if that would help, but nothing ever does - until my cold shower that is! I shampooed and conditioned in the freezing cold water, and only lost about 2 strands while in the shower, and about half the amount during combing. It's a miracle! (I know it's actually got a scientific pore-shrinking explanation, but it feels like a miracle!) If this actually slows down my hair loss, I'll keep cold showering forever!

I also notice that when I get out of the cold shower, I actually feel warm (normally I'm cold all the time, which is a major problem for me). Even though my skin feels cold to the touch, I'm very comfortable, no shivering at all. I never thought I'd see the day where I'm not terrified of the cold!

Page 51 of 70 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast