Page 50 of 70 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Thermogenesis Guidelines/Results page 50

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Still not sure about this, but it does sound interesting.

So... if your body adjusts to the cold, what about heat? My job has me outside all day in the desert. Sometimes that's cold - winter can be below freezing with wind, and I start work at 6am before the sun comes up. But for 3 or 4 months out of the year, it's above 100F, direct sunlight and it's not always a dry heat. Would that be a problem? I'm really not allowed to pass out at work.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

KA24 is offline Junior Member
    I spend hours a day in the heat, 90+ degrees and I barely sweat. Maybe that's just me, but the cold adaptation has not only allowed me to withstand cold, but also regulate temperature better in extreme heat.

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.
    I noticed when the heat came this past week. I was comfortable. It wasn't too hot I thought. But I woke one morning and my wife had turned on the air conditioning.

For the most part I was just opening windows to relieve the stuffiness in side the house.
    Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
    I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
    Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
    ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I'm just curious how this would work when it's 115F and monsoon season (80% humidity). Hot out here isn't the same as in other parts of the world. I'm out in the cold during the winter and then slowly adjust to the heat of the summer. 95F feels brutal in May, but feels like a cool break in August when I'm finally adjusted to the heat. I'd hate to be unadjusted to the 115F because I'm more adjusted to the 65F artificially.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Style is offline Member
    I just read Kruse's "SO YOU COMPLETED THE LEPTIN RX? WHAT’S NEXT?" post:

HOW TO EAT POST LEPTIN RX FOR OPTIMAL LIFE? - Jack Kruse

That is a seriously regimented routine. My wife thinks my diet right now is really regimented, and I eat whatever I want whenever I want, as long as the food I select is "primal approved." I find it an extremely easy healthy life style to maintain. I find it hard to even imagine doing what Kruse says is optimal.

I would consider giving it a try IF there was some solid evidence that this was in fact the optimal way to live, AND optimal was shown to be significantly better than my current lifestyle. I've not seen enough to convince me on either of these fronts.

Kruse talks about how this is absolutely essential, and that is crucial, but seriously how does he know? If he made all of these changes 5 or 6 years ago, any one change could be responsible, or combination of 2 or 3 changes. How does he know which ones are the ones that are critical? Not to mention this is an experiment with a sample size of one. He says it himself he knows no one else who lives like this. That is not nearly a large enough sample to prove anything.

There are many studies that show the benefits of CT. Plus, it's pretty easy for me to switch from hot showers to cold bathes, that is a small commitment, but to go the full Kruse optimal path, I'm going to need more convincing before I make those kind of herculean life style adjustments.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Style View Post
    I would consider giving it a try IF there was some solid evidence that this was in fact the optimal way to live, AND optimal was shown to be significantly better than my current lifestyle. I've not seen enough to convince me on either of these fronts.
    There are many studies that show the benefits of CT. Plus, it's pretty easy for me to switch from hot showers to cold bathes, that is a small commitment, but to go the full Kruse optimal path, I'm going to need more convincing before I make those kind of herculean life style adjustments.
    I'm not sure what exactly Kruse is saying that you want to try, but I basically take primal to the next level by eating foods when naturally available, minding circadian rythyms, and getting cold in season.

I don't see what's hard about this or why it is difficult to conceive. In Spring, eat lots of green leafy stuff, lots of eggs, lots of fish and meat, and avoid sugary fruit. In Summer, enjoy the heat, eat fruits and vegetables along with your fatty meat and fish. In the fall eat lots of berries and some storage tubers, nuts, and fungi, along with your fatty meat and fish. In Winter, eat a ketogenic diet with little to no fruit, plenty of seaweed and fish, fatty meat, some storage tubers and nuts, no sugary fruits, little green stuff.

As to light cycles: Year round, try to avoid artificial light late into the night. Stay off the computer after 7 or 8, turn the lights down a couple hours before bed, turn off all lights while you sleep.

As to cold: I try to expose myself to the seasonal temps as much as possible. In the summer that means an occasional dip in 60-70 degree water, cool nights, hot days. In the winter, I get as cold as I can--ice water baths, barefoot walks in the snow, minimal clothing in subzero air, house and office kept under 65 degrees.

Is there anything wrong with an ice bath in the middle of summer--No. Grok could easily fall in a cold spring. Same as a sauna in January. But loads of watermelon in January or ketogenic seafood diet in July is a mismatch I want to avoid. Shiftwork is a real killer. Sleeping with the lights on real bad, too.

PeacefulWarrior is offline Senior Member
    I read this thread yesterday am, and jumped in.
    I'm now 2 days in.
    My wife stood outside the shower laughing at me; once my testes descend I expect to have the last laugh.
    Not sure if I feel much of anything after only 2 days, but I didn't expect to.
    I have always loved hot showers. I could (and often do) take 2, 3 and even more (really long) hot showers a day. Been doing that for over 20 years. So, if nothing else, my hot water bill will be way down.
    "Your actions speak to me so loud, I can not hear a single word you are saying."

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Should I be keeping my hands and feet out of the water? I've been submerging everything but my face and the tops of my knees. (I can't get the water high enough to cover my knees and upper body at the same time.) It probably doesn't matter in 70 degree water, but come fall and I get the water cooler is this a concern? I know that MamaGrok submerges in a river up to her chin. Richard Nikoley has been submerging everything but his mouth, although he's just starting his experiment...
    It depends on temp and your personal tolerance. Some people, esp. with certain autoimmune diseases, have really poor circulation. When my indoor water was around 62F, I kept gloves and a hat on for the first month of those
    45-60m long baths, and still got shivering.

In the river, I am much warmer. Partly b/c of adaptation, I"m sure, but I think also b/c it really triggers my interior thermogenesis. I do keep my hands out until everything else is very comfortable in the 50F river, and then put them in.

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    So... if your body adjusts to the cold, what about heat? My job has me outside all day in the desert. Sometimes that's cold - winter can be below freezing with wind, and I start work at 6am before the sun comes up. But for 3 or 4 months out of the year, it's above 100F, direct sunlight and it's not always a dry heat. Would that be a problem? I'm really not allowed to pass out at work.
    RR, several people have reported, and Kruse confirmed the idea, that their interior thermostats have become more efficient at all temperatures. Wim Hof, the Iceman, known for running barefoot marathons in the Arctic, also went to the African desert and ran a marathon, no problem with the heat.

YMMV.
    I just read Kruse's "SO YOU COMPLETED THE LEPTIN RX? WHAT’S NEXT?" post:

HOW TO EAT POST LEPTIN RX FOR OPTIMAL LIFE? - Jack Kruse

That is a seriously regimented routine.
    What, specifically, do you find excessively regimented? The exercise timing is; I agree that it would be difficult to implement for most, worth trying if you can possibly, but I wouldn't sweat it if not. Otherwise, I agree with otzi.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    In Spring, eat lots of green leafy stuff, lots of eggs, lots of fish and meat, and avoid sugary fruit. In Summer, enjoy the heat, eat fruits and vegetables along with your fatty meat and fish. In the fall eat lots of berries and some storage tubers, nuts, and fungi, along with your fatty meat and fish. In Winter, eat a ketogenic diet with little to no fruit, plenty of seaweed and fish, fatty meat, some storage tubers and nuts, no sugary fruits, little green stuff.
    My only addition would be COCONUT OIL in the summer!

So are berries in the fall a North thing? Our berries run May-June, for the most part.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaGrok View Post
    So are berries in the fall a North thing? Our berries run May-June, for the most part.
    I was thinking about blueberries when I said that. Up here, we have millions of acres of wild blueberries that ripen in late August. Native people have relied on them for eons, preserving them and are a staple in the Fall. We also have raspberries, strawberries, salmon berries, currants, etc... that ripen from Jun-Sep.

Also, MammaGrok - I was thinking about you this weekend, the river by my house flooded into a swampy area on my property, I waded around for about 6 hours in the 50 degree water floating out logs, old barrels, and years of accumulation. It was a blast, I would have normally worn insulated chest waders, but did it in just my crocs and swim shorts. It felt so good, much more fun that just sitting in a tub. I caught a big pike by hand and ate him for lunch!

Thanks for your input here!

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Our blueberries are in June, too. In Hotlanta, that is.

Oh my gosh, LOVE the pike-catching by hand! Big googly eyes here!

I was just reading ds a story about the American Revolution and how Clark (of later Lewis & Clark fame) led a group of men through a freezing river (literally had an inch of ice on it the day before) for (if I understood right) THREE DAYS.

Can you imagine how fast our troops today would die in those conditions? And these were just random guys, not trained. Cold adapted, though, I'm sure, and almost totally primally fed.

Can't do 40 degrees for more than an hour, they say. LOL.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Page 50 of 70 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast