Page 49 of 70 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Thermogenesis Guidelines/Results page 49

Motorhead is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Style View Post

What I don't understand is how "spot CT'ing", for example putting ice packs on a problem area, causes localized loss of fat in the treated area. Can some one explain that to me or possibly post a link?

Thanks!
    Let's say your spot cool your abs, does it make sense for your body to activate BAT on your back or legs (if there is any there) and over heat that area to hopefully warm up your abs? I am not a convert to the whole CT thing, kinda on the fence, but I do believe that the body is incredibly ingenious and would not overheat an area in hopes of warming another.
    SW on 10/1/11: 380lbs.
    CW 12/13/12: 315lbs. (Was under 300#, added some muscle :-) )
    GW: 10% B.F. 250lbs. - 275lbs. (6' 4" tall)

Style is offline Member
    KA24, thanks for the feedback! Always nice to see how it's working for others. Could you elaborate on what a CT session is for you, as this can vary pretty significantly from one person to another. For example, I do a daily 70 degree bath for 30 minutes post work out. I've just started adding in "spot CT" with ice packs on my belly fat while I'm in the tub. Others are taking dips in 50 degree rivers, face dunks, etc. What are you doing to see such gains?

Thanks!

tech_hunter is offline Member
    I would also like to know about the spot icing like Style. I am taking cooler and cooler showers and going outside with less clothes with temps in the 40s (less, not none, my neighbors are a bit far away, but the drive bys would freak! :P)

I have 2 ice pack things from Walmart (what a great idea, and CHEAP!), and I was laying down on one the other night. It didn't bother me, felt kind of nice, and I was pink and a bit numb after about 30 minutes. I had it between my shoulder blades. I did this after some bodyweight exercises, and then read, I think, that you shouldn't do it right after exercise? Whoops! Anyway, I wasn't sore the next day, which I usually am when just starting new exercises.

My goal is to immerse myself in our lake. Our part of the Missouri is dammed up and that water is pretty cold, even in summer and the air is in the 50s midsummer in the morning.

As far as fasting, I pretty much do Mark Sisson's "When", and am thankful that he mentioned it because I thought I was ruining my metabolism! I am just not very hungry anymore, and don't like forcing myself to eat, it makes me nauseous. There are some days I eat about 300 calories in a small window, and there are days that I'll eat 1500 calories in a small window. I like eating only when I'm hungry, it's a nice change!

KA24 is offline Junior Member
    I usually go 3-4 times per week. I do one session, usually Sunday night, with 40 lbs of ice and a tub of water, everything but hands and feet submerged. I do this about 30 minutes. The other sessions, I tend to go 30-45 minutes of just tap water with a little ice (to get it down to 55 degrees or so). Same soaking, everything but hands and feet. I don't really use spot icing unless I have extra ice packs to put in the tub with me.

I immediately dry off, throw on a pair of boxers and proceed to my lifting. I have weights in my home so the transit time isn't that long. I find that within 30-45 minutes I'm able to get the session in before I really get numbness or shivering (although this doesn't really happen anymore).

Paleobirdy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    Kruse is an insane person. Almost nothing in that post above by him makes any actual sense. He is just spouting words like "primordial" and acting like that has a real prescriptive meaning.

I could say the exact opposite of nearly every one of his points and it would make just as much sense and have just as much evidence supporting it, i.e. none whatsoever. I don't know why anyone listens to a word he says. Ugh.
    looks like betty is just a copy-cat troll

Quote Originally Posted by Betty248 View Post
    Kruse is an insane person. Almost nothing in that post above by him makes any actual sense. He is just spouting words like "primordial" and acting like that has a real prescriptive meaning.
    betty, is that you?

Style is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KA24 View Post
    I usually go 3-4 times per week. I do one session, usually Sunday night, with 40 lbs of ice and a tub of water, everything but hands and feet submerged. I do this about 30 minutes. The other sessions, I tend to go 30-45 minutes of just tap water with a little ice (to get it down to 55 degrees or so). Same soaking, everything but hands and feet. I don't really use spot icing unless I have extra ice packs to put in the tub with me.

I immediately dry off, throw on a pair of boxers and proceed to my lifting. I have weights in my home so the transit time isn't that long. I find that within 30-45 minutes I'm able to get the session in before I really get numbness or shivering (although this doesn't really happen anymore).
    Interesting. Doesn't Kruse suggest CT after a work out? Not saying you're doing it wrong, just wondering what the pros and cons are of doing it before or after a workout.

I wish I could get my tap water down to 55 with just "a little ice." I emptied the ice machine in my refrigerator and tossed in all the ice packs in my freezer and I still can't get it below 70.

Should I be keeping my hands and feet out of the water? I've been submerging everything but my face and the tops of my knees. (I can't get the water high enough to cover my knees and upper body at the same time.) It probably doesn't matter in 70 degree water, but come fall and I get the water cooler is this a concern? I know that MamaGrok submerges in a river up to her chin. Richard Nikoley has been submerging everything but his mouth, although he's just starting his experiment...

KA24 is offline Junior Member
    I know I'm not the first who have noticed the strength gains. Others have posted so in this thread. I have to say I stumbled across it by accident as I just grabbed some weights after a CT session and felt great. I continued to do it and now I do heavy weights for like 10-15 minutes after all sessions.

As for the temperature, I'm in Ohio, so I find my water is around 63 or so without ice. We keep our house at 58 degrees at all times too, so it's always cold in the room when it fills, so that maintains the temperature. Throwing a bag of ice in or a few buckets will do it.

My recommendation would be submerge what you can. I tended to make sure the areas I wanted "work on", abs, arms and other parts that tend to get sore, I tried to make sure they get cold. I've noticed some numbness when I put my hands in the water and although it takes a little bit, it's uncomfortable and I rarely do it. I tend to do everything but face, hands and feet. This obviously helps if you have a deeper tub.

I also can't say I'd do things the exact same if my goals were different. I've just noticed these things working...

Dr K talks more about exercise after CT, not as much before. For folks using CT as a way to decrease pain and inflammation (think sports teams), the cold is used after exercise.

Bioletti is offline Member
    Have been doing cold showers for one week already. Definitely feel more alert throughout the day, dandruff has pretty much gone away, and my body doesn't ache as much when I work out. I used to walk out of my front door in the morning sleepy and sluggish when I was doing hot showers, itching all over the place, and hungry as hell. One week cold showers and immersion has ended that. I'm just sayin'????
    "After all we did for Britain, selling all that corduroy and making it swing, and all we got was a bit of tin on a piece of leather, an MBE." --George Harrison

Page 49 of 70 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast