Page 48 of 70 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Thermogenesis Guidelines/Results page 48

Djzander is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Im relatively new to the subject but have been reading about it and have been doing 10 min cold showers and ice packs in bed at night. How do you guys think methods such as saunas play into all of this? I have one at my gym right by my house and always enjoy a 15- 20 min intense sweat session. Would these trips to the sauna be counter productive or complimentary to a fat loss program?

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Djzander View Post
    Im relatively new to the subject but have been reading about it and have been doing 10 min cold showers and ice packs in bed at night. How do you guys think methods such as saunas play into all of this? I have one at my gym right by my house and always enjoy a 15- 20 min intense sweat session. Would these trips to the sauna be counter productive or complimentary to a fat loss program?
    this is not really a fully formed question and as such is impossible to answer.

What are you really looking for?
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I think the tradition of alternating sauna with ice bath is a longstanding one in Northern Europe and other places, but these days, most people skip the second half...
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

otzi Guest
    Interesting blog from Mark today about cold thermogenesis. I was disappointed he didn't talk about BAT, as to me, that's the biggest factor in the metabolic changes brought on by cold exposure.

The calorie burning factor of mild cold is very minimal, like just a few more calories than standing still, but once BAT is active and more BAT is made, the caloric advantage is huge! A few grams of BAT can burn hundreds of calories per hour. It takes chronic cold exposure to build BAT, not a cool shower every couple weeks. Plenty of studies to this effect on first few pages of this thread, and even some posted by Mark S. a few years back.

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.
    When doing an intermittent fast, what liquids are permitted. Could I make myself a Smoothie with coconut milk and some berries?
    Learning the intricacies of healthy eating and nourishing my body the right way.
    I am not bald, that is a Vitamin D collector. Time to Grok and Roll!
    Eased into a primal diet starting at Christmas 2011. Goal weight - 205 started: 240 pounds waist 40, now 227 pounds and waist 38 Summer 2012 - weight =215 and waist is actually still 39"
    ljbprrfmof = LJ = Little John = John

Style is offline Member
    Since my tap water is relatively warm and my "cold" bathes are up to 72 degrees now, I've started spot CT'ing with ice packs on my belly fat while I take my half hour daily bathes. Hopefully I will get more CT mileage out of my cold bathes that way. Stay tuned.

Also, I'm no longer getting light headed. That lasted only a week. I guess my body just had something it needed to work out, as Quelson said.

bodhimama is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljbprrfmof View Post
    When doing an intermittent fast, what liquids are permitted. Could I make myself a Smoothie with coconut milk and some berries?
    I know next to nothing about cold thermogenesis (am reading this thread to learn some) but a fast means not eating anything with calories. So, no. That would be a meal/snack. You can generally have up to 50 cal of food, like 1/2 tsp of cream in your coffee. Personally, I avoid sugar-free things like gum and diet soda, which if you're primal you would be anyway. I just have black coffee and tea with a little stevia, and plenty of water.

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    I did a 30 minute long CT shower last night. It was relatively easy to get to full cold and only took about 5 minutes. I was able to start with the water much colder also. It felt good and I slept really well but today I am exhausted. I haven't felt this tired in a long time.

I plan on going for a 30 minute run tonight and will take a much shorter 10-15 minute cold shower. I plan on going to bed early tonight that is for sure.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Style is offline Member
    I understand how the body burns energy trying to warm up and maintain 98.6 degrees. I also understand how activated BAT burns energy and raises your metabolism. These two things increase the "calories out" part of the weight loss equation.

What I don't understand is how "spot CT'ing", for example putting ice packs on a problem area, causes localized loss of fat in the treated area. Can some one explain that to me or possibly post a link?

Thanks!

KA24 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Have been dialed in on Paleo for over a year. Already very lean, around 12% BF. Started CT about 6 weeks ago, have noticed incredible relief in soreness after workouts, no pain in a previously partial tear in my PCL (never got repaired) and have seen strength gains in post-CT workouts.

I've seen strength gains (increased dead lift) and strength/endurance gains (increased push-ups from max 36 in a row to 45 straight post-CT and can go over 100 kettlebell swings before maxing post-CT as compared to 87 prior). The only thing I changed was comparing my "max capacity" in different training modalities without CT and post-CT. I'm going to try a 2-minute sprint on a stationary bike for distance after my next CT session.

Have seen other vanity gains too including an inch off an already lean waistline and better definition in my chest and back (again, didn't change any of my normal workouts for these areas). I've also noticed far less sweat, even as the outside weather gets warmer. As someone required to "dress-up" for work each day, usually including a long dress shirt, slacks or dress pants and a tie, I've noticed far less sweating throughout the day. I used to perspire through my shirts, now I don't at all.

Figured I'd post. Have been reading this thread since the beginning. So many great links and comments. Someone asked for anecdotal responses and I decided to chime in. Keep it coming!

Page 48 of 70 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast