Page 47 of 70 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Thermogenesis Guidelines/Results page 47

Jovana is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    btw... how long do I need to hold the ice pack on my belly? And how often, and how long until I should expect to see results? Sorry if these questions have been answered, this thread is quite long!

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovana View Post
    btw... how long do I need to hold the ice pack on my belly? And how often, and how long until I should expect to see results? Sorry if these questions have been answered, this thread is quite long!

Try this. Fill a small plastic garbage bag (maybe you call them bin liners) with ice. Not a whole lot, but like the size of 2-3 apples. While you are sitting or laying down in the evening before bed, put the bag of ice on your belly. Leave it in one spot til it gets nice and cold and your skin turns pink. Move it to a new spot. Keep doing this until the ice melts or you get bored. Usually 30 minutes or so.

If you want to try an experiment, only ice one side of your belly. In a few weeks, you will look lop-sided as the iced side will be tight and have less fat. Take a picture and post it here if you do!

Anyway, just icing like this is good if all you care about is some loose flab. Try it for a couple weeks and report back.

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Get used to 50-60 degree water for a few weeks, then try really cold water--in the 30's or low 40's. You will see skin tightening like you've never seen before. It's unreal. I'm talking about your skin while in the cold water, when you warm back up it loosens back, but repeated cold dips tighten it up for good over time. For just loose skin, you probably only need to be in the cold water 5-10 minutes at a time. Try it and tell us.
    Totally did this today after my workout with the cold shower. Whew, quite a rush! I could get to used to it. I'm not sure how cold my shower got mind you but I took it as cold as it could go. I'll continue to do it for a few weeks to see what results I can get, if any.
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    In Alabama, it was probably 70 degrees. Still, I used to think a cold shower in a GA summer was pure torture even at 70F, and don't at all anymore.

Be careful with the ice packs to start with a cloth between you and it. (I was able to stop using the cloth after a week or so in any given spot.) Also know that alcohol packs for some reason seem to cause ice burn more easily. If any area turns WHITE, stop immediately, gently warm the area, and lay off the icing for a week - much like you'd treat a sunburn cautiously. It's not imminent death, just a warning to be more careful next time.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Happy Paleo Girl is offline Senior Member
    I was FINALLY able to get my tub down into the mid 50s range!! At first I tried dry ice - it took about half an hour for 5 lbs of it to melt all the way and for the carbon dioxide "steam" to dissipate - and it only made the water 5 cooler!! I'm glad it didn't work, because at $1.49/lb., it would've been a very expensive way to CT. I then proceeded to dump all of the ice that I had into the tub, including the packs that I had been spot CTing with, and got it good and cold. It wasn't that bad at first, but after about 5 minutes, I was shivering so hard I thought I would bite my tongue off. I'd spent so much time and effort to get the tub that cold, that I just stayed in as long as I could stand it, and made it almost 20 minutes.
    I had been spot CTing my stomach, and it turned and stayed a nice pinkish red the whole time. I couldn't feel my toes for an hour afterwards and it took me half the night to warm up after I went to bed. However, I experienced the frequent urination that Dr. Kruse just posted about, and things just FELT different in my body.
    It seemed torturous at the time and for awhile afterwards, but something about it feels "right".

I've read conflicting information on whether or not we should be shivering while in the cold water. Is shivering while in the water a sign that I need to work my way up to longer times? It takes so much ice to get the water to the right temp that I am trying to maximize the time that I spend in there!

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    I think some base shivering is normal, but severe shivering usually tells me to set a goal (maybe "5 more minutes"), then get out. You could take your temp to make sure it's not dropping, but mine never has.

Interestingly, in the 65F bathtub, I shivered a ton, and often stayed cold for 10-60m afterward. ESPECIALLY the 2nd & 4th times! But in the 50F river, I never get like that. My skin doesn't get pink, either. I get a brief afterchill effect, then done.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Plainswalker is offline Junior Member
    I might try the croak-soak and ice bag methods this week (I can't find any here so I'll try to make some with grocery bags). I have had a hard time getting rid of that last bit of fat that's covering up the last 2/3 of my six-pack the past two months.

I know I should try to hold out for five minutes with the soak, but is there a maximum time (aside from skin whitening) for it? I'm typically a very "warm" person and I'm one of those crazy people that walk around in a t-shirt and shorts just above freezing, so I might even enjoy it.

Betty248 is offline Junior Member
    Kruse is an insane person. Almost nothing in that post above by him makes any actual sense. He is just spouting words like "primordial" and acting like that has a real prescriptive meaning.

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty248 View Post
    Kruse is an insane person. Almost nothing in that post above by him makes any actual sense. He is just spouting words like "primordial" and acting like that has a real prescriptive meaning.
    Kruse might be crazy but Ray Cronise doesn't seem to be much better with his an amino acid is an amino acid and glucose is glucose garbage. Unfortunately I think they are on to something with CT and hopefully people can see through some of their empty rhetoric to see the gems.

This weekend I did a BBS workout and then after mowed the lawn in near 90 degree temps. Then I went and did a nice 20 min CT shower. Sunday I felt great and went for a 45min run, went and wrapped up some more yard work, and did another 20min CT shower. I took a cold shower this morning but only 5 min or so. I feel fabulous today and I noticed that I am starting to develop a 4-pack. It has only been 2 weeks and so far the only bad part has been the boredom of standing in the shower for 20 min. I have started playing music which is making the time go by faster. Hopefully when I up the time to 30 min I won't be bored out of my gourd.

My appetite has been changing and doing the CT has made me ravenous at times which I haven't felt in a long time. Not sure what is going on there but I guess the extra calorie load of CT is making a difference. When I see and feel things like this I know changes are happening so it gets me stoked to keep on and see how things progress. I am still looking for a cattle trough so that I can do some submerging soon.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Paleo Girl View Post
    I was FINALLY able to get my tub down into the mid 50s range!! At first I tried dry ice - it took about half an hour for 5 lbs of it to melt all the way and for the carbon dioxide "steam" to dissipate - and it only made the water 5 cooler!! I'm glad it didn't work, because at $1.49/lb., it would've been a very expensive way to CT. I then proceeded to dump all of the ice that I had into the tub, including the packs that I had been spot CTing with, and got it good and cold. It wasn't that bad at first, but after about 5 minutes, I was shivering so hard I thought I would bite my tongue off. I'd spent so much time and effort to get the tub that cold, that I just stayed in as long as I could stand it, and made it almost 20 minutes.
    I had been spot CTing my stomach, and it turned and stayed a nice pinkish red the whole time. I couldn't feel my toes for an hour afterwards and it took me half the night to warm up after I went to bed. However, I experienced the frequent urination that Dr. Kruse just posted about, and things just FELT different in my body.
    It seemed torturous at the time and for awhile afterwards, but something about it feels "right".

I've read conflicting information on whether or not we should be shivering while in the cold water. Is shivering while in the water a sign that I need to work my way up to longer times? It takes so much ice to get the water to the right temp that I am trying to maximize the time that I spend in there!
    I have been CT since February.
    I have run the gammut of temps from 70 to 32

Here is what i think about shivering and dropping core temp.

the body wants to maintain a certain temp, YMMV but 98.6 is the accepted target of a human.

Bodies are lazy as hell... living in a temperature controlled environment allows the body to be even lazier. when you shiver st such a high temp it is because the body is unused to making heat at the site of the shiver, it is also because those cells are not using thyroid hormone properly. and in my experience it can be a local phenomena. As you CT that will correct itself. I am going to go against Mama Grok and say that you should stay in as long as you can take it OR till your core temp drops to 96 which ever comes first.
    Mild hypothermia starts at 95F I do allow my temp to go lower than 96 but i have worked up to is and have personal reasons for doing so, I know where to stop. However above 95 your body will rally to return to temp soonest. DONT HELP IT. no hot water, no blankets no nothing. Make that bizitch work for every degree. this causes changes rapidly that are beneficial

I stopped shivering in response to cold for the most part about 6 weeks ago. My recovery time went from 12 + hours to 45 minutes. I can feel the flush of heat from any temp under 45F now. It takes at least 40F water to keep my skin temps at the desired 55F.

You dont get these result pussyfooting around the subject.

Cold does A LOT to the body and a lot of it is good good good. but half doing it is just wasting money, it takes money to get ground water cold in the summer.

Cold Diuresis is temporary, as well as a good thing. The water you excrete is water that was stuck in your lymphatic system anyway.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Page 47 of 70 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast