Page 16 of 70 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Thermogenesis Guidelines/Results page 16

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by jsa23 View Post
    In the interest of being intellectually honest, it should be stated that while many elite athletes use ice baths post-workout, they do so to reduce the inflammatory impact of a heavy exercise regimen on their muscles/joints. This has nothing to do with CT.
    This is not in reference to athlete's ice baths. It's been suggested Armstrong may have done stationary bike workouts in a walk in cooler and that Phelps uses a very cool pool (I think it was something like 55 degrees) for his workouts.

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    This is not in reference to athlete's ice baths. It's been suggested Armstrong may have done stationary bike workouts in a walk in cooler and that Phelps uses a very cool pool (I think it was something like 55 degrees) for his workouts.
    There's a lot of things to this beyond CT, particularly in Lance's case.

When the body has to expend energy to cool itself down - which it inevitably will when running on a treadmill/on a stationary bike at room temperature, it's using bloodflow/energy that could be diverted to the muscles/cardiovascular system instead to keep itself cool. I can say with confidence that if I'm running, I'm at my fastest somewhere between 40 and 50 degrees F(colder than that and I don't breathe as well). Going at a temperature where the body isn't trying to cool itself under strenuous workout conditions will naturally focus the workout more on the muscles, making for a more focused workout.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsa23 View Post
    There's a lot of things to this beyond CT, particularly in Lance's case.

When the body has to expend energy to cool itself down - which it inevitably will when running on a treadmill/on a stationary bike at room temperature, it's using bloodflow/energy that could be diverted to the muscles/cardiovascular system instead to keep itself cool. I can say with confidence that if I'm running, I'm at my fastest somewhere between 40 and 50 degrees F(colder than that and I don't breathe as well). Going at a temperature where the body isn't trying to cool itself under strenuous workout conditions will naturally focus the workout more on the muscles, making for a more focused workout.
    Good point, but doesn't this also just back up the ideas behind why adapting to cold is beneficial to us?

HeyChelle is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primarilyprimal View Post
    To all those experiencing soreness after spot CT - basic question, but do you have something between the ice and the skin? If not it could be ice burns. But yeah, I am also slightly sore after spot sessions, and I have been doing it for about 2 weeks and it is getting gradually less sore after sessions.
    Compression tank for the first half (until the ice has warmed up.). Then nothing.
    My skin turns a nice pink, but never beyond that. And the cold is cold, but comfortable, not difficult or painful.

thaijinx is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyChelle View Post
    Anyone experience soreness after CT? My waist/love handle region is very sore today. Mainly I've been doing spot ct with ice all around my middle, plus ending all my showers with a good cold spray targeted at my middle. Only occasional baths.

Otherwise, I have to say I'm loving CT, strangely enough. Definitely feeling that calmness and extra energy after a session. We'll see about weightless and reshaping, I guess. I'm really close to my ideal weight already, just need to improve composition.
    No soreness for me... but I agree with you about how strange it is to love CT! (I hate the cold, so I'm really surprised by it too!)

thaijinx is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextery View Post
    It is obvious by your comments you have not bothered to read much of the CT series or you would not be asking these questions. Test your telomeres now and see how old you are in your DNA and then match that to your biological age. I would bet a small fortune that your telomere length age will be much higher than your biological age...meaning you will run out of stem cells far earlier than if you embrace the cold.
    Has anyone ever researched/tested the telomeres of Sherpas or Inuit? Are there any studies or anecdotal evidence to show that they really live longer than the average? I'm into CT, so not disputing it... but I seriously doubt these guys live noticeably longer.

Clabbergirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thaijinx View Post
    Has anyone ever researched/tested the telomeres of Sherpas or Inuit? Are there any studies or anecdotal evidence to show that they really live longer than the average? I'm into CT, so not disputing it... but I seriously doubt these guys live noticeably longer.
    I think this is a valid question, and one I'd love to see the answer to.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thaijinx View Post
    From what I've read no. If anything they have lower life spans. Sherpas also eat plenty of carbs.

The confusion comes from different calendars among other things.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    I was thinking about this concept last night, and realized, wait, I've always worms shirts, no jacket or both much of the winter, and got fatter through much of that time, even when I lived in an unheated attic. Still interested in playing with it, but wanted to mention that for the record.

HeyChelle is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    I was thinking about this concept last night, and realized, wait, I've always worms shirts, no jacket or both much of the winter, and got fatter through much of that time, even when I lived in an unheated attic. Still interested in playing with it, but wanted to mention that for the record.
    Your n=1 might be quite different than anyone elses. The way I look at CT is this. I'm almost at my ideal weight, but still have some ongoing health issues that need some work. Other people are having success with CT, it costs me NO money to try it, and has no negative side effects. I'm searching for better health, so why not try it? So far, the results are better than those I have received by some of the crazy things doctors have wanted me to try. When I was first trying to track down the cause of my health issues, a cardio-pulmonologist decided I must be experiencing silent reflux and put me on heartburn meds. Worst. Decision. Ever! Good grief - that stuff actually GAVE me heartburn and reflux. Took me weeks to get it turned around.

Longer life? I believe in the Lord, my God and my Creator. My days are numbered by Him. But I get to choose how I live those days. I would much rather be an active participator in my life instead of living on the couch because I'm so sick and tired. I'm willing to try anything that might help me reach my goal (within reason, right?).

I don't have a bunch of links to offer you to convince you that this is the bomb-diggity. If you have reason to try it, then go for it. But if you are happy with your weight and health, then why bother? Your time is better spent elsewhere.

Page 16 of 70 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast