Page 13 of 70 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Thermogenesis Guidelines/Results page 13

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Primal Fuel
    I'm pretty sure my body fat is more stable & tilted towards fat since I got central air & heat. I lived for many years in old fashioned apartments & learned to live with drafts etc. But then otoh I also used space heaters a lot- but not at night. Hmmmmmm... I suppose having the covers on doesn't count though. I've read all you have to have is your neck exposed to the cold.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Croak View Post
    I guess all the cites included in his blog posts don't count as giving credit?

I don't think he makes any bones about synthesizing information, nor do I find this to be a problem. The application of this aggregated knowledge is where he shines (especially once you learn to read "Super-Ellipse Hyperbolic").

I could give a damn what pigeonhole you put him in, but I will say that his "path to optimal" requires that you START from a Paleo-centric foundation.

Oh, and Paleo/Primal as generally practiced here or on PH could also be described as transhumanistic, it's just coming at it from a different angle.
    There is a difference between citing facts and citing ideas. He often cites his facts(or at least a few per blog post), but much more rarely cites his overriding ideas,much of which he appear to have taken wholesale from other books(Mastering Leptin, Lights Out, etc). I suppose it's possible he came up with a number of theories that are widely published and are in areas he's familiar with on his own in an extremely short period of time, but it certainly seems suspicious.

Again, if it helps people, that's good.

Getting back to the main topic: if someone has no health problems or leanness issues, what benefit would this have?

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post

Getting back to the main topic: if someone has no health problems or leanness issues, what benefit would this have?
    It will help reduce inflammation, and help increase longevity....
    The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
    What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
    SW 190lb
    Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
    25 Sep 2011 160lbs
    1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
    GW ~135lbs
    5'3"
    Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Quote Originally Posted by Shijin13 View Post
    It will help reduce inflammation, and help increase longevity....
    (Legitimately not trying to be difficult, I promise): so if I have essentially no inflammation and don't want to live any longer than I am already "scheduled" to, there's no upside for me?

Especially since Kruse himself says it will increase subcutaneous fat(if I understand correctly)?

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    *Double post? First ever....
    Last edited by Knifegill; 03-14-2012 at 02:27 PM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    I would say, pretty confidently, that if someone has no health problems or leanness issues, they could skip CT. They could also skip Primal Blueprint, paleo, and dieting in general as well as exercise and medicine.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Longevity speaks my language. Now I'm willing to read all those links...

If cold thermogenesis increases metabolism, how could it possibly extend lifespan? All signs point to slowing metabolism as much as possible without compromising biochemistry.

And what is there in this for those of us who have already mastered voluntary activation of the autonomic nervous system? I can slow my heartbeat and need for oxygen down right now without sticking my face in water, thereby hitting the breaks on most of my bodily functions.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 03-14-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I would say, pretty confidently, that if someone has no health problems or leanness issues, they could skip CT. They could also skip Primal Blueprint, paleo, and dieting in general as well as exercise and medicine.
    Well, since we are on MDA, there's a good chance the reason for it is the Primal Blueprint....

kiwilauren is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Seems logical, based on just what Ray C wrote, that cold adaptation will preserve/enhance a disease-free status while also increasing your abilities & strengths. It also would address the 'looking good on the outside but actually turning over stem cells too quickly" that someone who is lean and fit may not tangibly experience.

otzi Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I found another great study on CT involving Brown Fat (BAT) activation in obese people. Everything I've read indicates most of the BAT is located above the collar-bone (supraclavicular). Focusing ice-packs in this area would presumably have a great impact on growing and using our BAT.

BAT has the unique ability to burn calories in excess of our basal metabolic rate, and it is induced by temperatures in the range above shivering, ie. 50-70 degrees. Extended cold exposure has been found to recruit new BAT from regular white fat (WAT), this is called BRITE (brown to white) fat.

Here is a link to the study: PLoS ONE: Brown Adipose Tissue in Morbidly Obese Subjects

disclaimer: if you have no health or leanness issues, you may want to skip it.

Page 13 of 70 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast