Page 11 of 70 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 698

Thread: Cold Thermogenesis Guidelines/Results page 11

  1. #101
    Glamorama's Avatar
    Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    OOOOOOO
    Posts
    2,024
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Thanks! I guess I'll go grab a couple ice pack right now.

    BTW - I just noticed today that your user name is Glamorama - I always thought it was GlamorMama! Ooops!
    Oh no, i def see myself as more than just a mum, lol!

    Give it 2-3 sessions before it feels better. Then prepare to be shocked. I was down 2% BF after just 7 days, and my waist went from 79 down to 77 cm in that first week. I'd been stuck on 79 for 2 months!!! No change to diet.

    You'll probably experience some hefty detox depending on how much fat you burn up, I was a mess for a while. All good now, after a month.

  2. #102
    MrZZeroG's Avatar
    MrZZeroG is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    8
    All

    Thanks for all the positive comments and I believe you'll get a lot from adding a form of mild cold stress to your routine activity. Over the last three years I've tried to zero in on very prescriptive methods. I'm astonished at just how deep this all goes, because I began my journey more on a crazy whim.

    I don't believe you need to be miserable or extreme to have impact and there is a lot of peer reviewed literature to support this claim. In water (hight thermal conductivity/heat capacity) mild cold stress begins at about 27C/80F - hardly roughing it. At that rate if you want to consider pure heat transfer, you're at about 2.4x your RMR or for most about 250-ish watts.

    That's not a huge load and animal studies that used this level had 4 hours/day - 5 days a week.

    It is however a start and what happens systemically is that metabolic changes do begin to occur. If I were going to recommend one physical activity, I'd say begin swimming, but add that you should eat a nutrient dense, calorically restricted meal in the time frame of 2-4 hours after that exposure. This is a great time for cruciferous greens, fiber and colored vegetables, but leave the meats, starches, refined sugars and oils (all) out if your goal is to lose body fat. Cold exposure drives hunger and over eating will happen in this window. Without the added calorie, you'll dine on high fat love handles and thunder thighs.

    As mild cold stress continues (at least as Wim Hof and I teach) you'll see greater peripheral circulation, greater sensation of well-being (CFS/depression relief), and better sleep.

    As for tolerating cooler environments: gloves before sweater make you look better. Go for covering your symptoms (hands, nose, ears and toes) and leave larger areas to dump heat. Be mindful of hypothermia (especially water <60F/15C and air 32F/0C) as there is a such thing as walking hypothermia and hard cold shock can be dangerous for some. Ease in if you want to enjoy it and make it a permanent part of your life.

    There's no denying that this plays a role in the hypothalamus-pituitary-thyroid axis, but no one conclusively knows yet to what degree. Every other living thing seems to respond to the seasonal cycles, we'd be a little naive to think we've evolved out of it. Wim Hof and I believe it's all quite simple: winter never comes. We still prepare, but it seems our big brain simply blew past seasonal caloric scarcity and cold stress. Both have shown great implications for health and longevity and we believe it provides some beneficial opportunities to activate these genes.

    I wish I had more time to hang out here, but I don't. That being said, everyone is welcome to keep up with the latest on my site and please know that we're finishing up more academic studies in Europe now and will be offering more training coaching in the not so distant future.

    Ray Cronise

  3. #103
    Shijin13's Avatar
    Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    2,464
    Quote Originally Posted by MrZZeroG View Post
    All

    Thanks for all the positive comments and I believe you'll get a lot from adding a form of mild cold stress to your routine activity. Over the last three years I've tried to zero in on very prescriptive methods. I'm astonished at just how deep this all goes, because I began my journey more on a crazy whim.

    I don't believe you need to be miserable or extreme to have impact and there is a lot of peer reviewed literature to support this claim. In water (hight thermal conductivity/heat capacity) mild cold stress begins at about 27C/80F - hardly roughing it. At that rate if you want to consider pure heat transfer, you're at about 2.4x your RMR or for most about 250-ish watts.

    That's not a huge load and animal studies that used this level had 4 hours/day - 5 days a week.

    It is however a start and what happens systemically is that metabolic changes do begin to occur. If I were going to recommend one physical activity, I'd say begin swimming, but add that you should eat a nutrient dense, calorically restricted meal in the time frame of 2-4 hours after that exposure. This is a great time for cruciferous greens, fiber and colored vegetables, but leave the meats, starches, refined sugars and oils (all) out if your goal is to lose body fat. Cold exposure drives hunger and over eating will happen in this window. Without the added calorie, you'll dine on high fat love handles and thunder thighs.

    As mild cold stress continues (at least as Wim Hof and I teach) you'll see greater peripheral circulation, greater sensation of well-being (CFS/depression relief), and better sleep.

    As for tolerating cooler environments: gloves before sweater make you look better. Go for covering your symptoms (hands, nose, ears and toes) and leave larger areas to dump heat. Be mindful of hypothermia (especially water <60F/15C and air 32F/0C) as there is a such thing as walking hypothermia and hard cold shock can be dangerous for some. Ease in if you want to enjoy it and make it a permanent part of your life.

    There's no denying that this plays a role in the hypothalamus-pituitary-thyroid axis, but no one conclusively knows yet to what degree. Every other living thing seems to respond to the seasonal cycles, we'd be a little naive to think we've evolved out of it. Wim Hof and I believe it's all quite simple: winter never comes. We still prepare, but it seems our big brain simply blew past seasonal caloric scarcity and cold stress. Both have shown great implications for health and longevity and we believe it provides some beneficial opportunities to activate these genes.

    I wish I had more time to hang out here, but I don't. That being said, everyone is welcome to keep up with the latest on my site and please know that we're finishing up more academic studies in Europe now and will be offering more training coaching in the not so distant future.

    Ray Cronise
    Ray

    thanks for taking the time to stop by - even if it is only for a short bit... your experience is valuable!
    The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
    What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

    Converted to PB November 2010
    SW 190lb
    Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
    25 Sep 2011 160lbs
    1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
    GW ~135lbs
    5'3"
    Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

  4. #104
    swift's Avatar
    swift is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1
    I read Ray's blog and have learned quite a lot from him. I find the whole subject of metabolic changes due to temperature very interesting. I note that research into this is getting to be more accessible, such as this article:
    Brown Fat and Weight Loss - The Future of Fat - Popular Mechanics

    I also think that Dr. Kruse has a beneficial prescriptive approach for the use of cold for optimizing health. It is reassuring that this blog reflects the acceptance of his theories and a willingness to self-experiment. I certainly appreciate all I have read here.

  5. #105
    otzi's Avatar
    otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MrZZeroG View Post
    but add that you should eat a nutrient dense, calorically restricted meal in the time frame of 2-4 hours after that exposure. This is a great time for cruciferous greens, fiber and colored vegetables, but leave the meats, starches, refined sugars and oils (all) out if your goal is to lose body fat. Cold exposure drives hunger and over eating will happen in this window. Without the added calorie, you'll dine on high fat love handles and thunder thighs.

    Ray Cronise
    How cool was that? A visit from the Godfather of Cold himself!
    Anyone notice this advice differs a bit from Dr. Kruse? Here, Ray Cronise says 'cold drives hunger' where Jack says 'cold kills hunger'. Well, in my experience, while I'm in the cold, I have absolutely zero hunger. When I warm back up, the hunger comes back with a vengeance. Does anyone else have the same feeling? I have been at the eating game for a while so I usually don't fall victim to the urge to pig-out, maybe right after a CT session would be the perfect time for that Big Ass Salad we're supposed to eat.

  6. #106
    Shijin13's Avatar
    Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    2,464
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    How cool was that? A visit from the Godfather of Cold himself!
    Anyone notice this advice differs a bit from Dr. Kruse? Here, Ray Cronise says 'cold drives hunger' where Jack says 'cold kills hunger'. Well, in my experience, while I'm in the cold, I have absolutely zero hunger. When I warm back up, the hunger comes back with a vengeance. Does anyone else have the same feeling? I have been at the eating game for a while so I usually don't fall victim to the urge to pig-out, maybe right after a CT session would be the perfect time for that Big Ass Salad we're supposed to eat.
    Otzi
    I've noticed I'm not hungry while doing CT or when I'm in a cold environment...but I also have noticed sometimes after my CT session, especially if I do a HIIT - I am hungry - where other times I don't get hungry...guess it just depends on when you do your CT Session and when you last ate, and how long the CT Session was...
    The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
    What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

    Converted to PB November 2010
    SW 190lb
    Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
    25 Sep 2011 160lbs
    1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
    GW ~135lbs
    5'3"
    Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

  7. #107
    otzi's Avatar
    otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by swift View Post
    I read Ray's blog and have learned quite a lot from him. I find the whole subject of metabolic changes due to temperature very interesting. I note that research into this is getting to be more accessible, such as this article:
    Brown Fat and Weight Loss - The Future of Fat - Popular Mechanics

    I also think that Dr. Kruse has a beneficial prescriptive approach for the use of cold for optimizing health. It is reassuring that this blog reflects the acceptance of his theories and a willingness to self-experiment. I certainly appreciate all I have read here.
    That was an awesome article you linked. Here is a quote from it, notice any recurring themes?:
    "
    Until a pill becomes available, there are ways for people to rev up their brown fat activity. "I don't think you could get a lot of people to put up with [cold] therapy," Enerbäck says, but it could help to turn down your home's central heating and to spend some time outside in the fall and winter. Studies suggest that people who work outdoors have higher brown fat activity than average, so it's not absurd to think that walking to work on a brisk day could boost your metabolism.

    As scientists continue to study fat in a new light—as an important organ in the body's endocrine system—they are bound to find more opportunities. For example, a study published in July by Paul MacLean and his colleagues at the University of Colorado at Denver revealed new insight into exercise and weight loss: Physical activity reduces weight by increasing the brain's sensitivity to appetite-suppressing hormones like leptin and insulin more so than by burning calories. According to MacLean, it may make the brain "more receptive to what the leptin and insulin are trying to say."

  8. #108
    Croak's Avatar
    Croak is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    345
    I do mine about 30 minutes after dinner, and stay in for about 30 minutes (now soaking in 42f water).

    There's no post-CT exercise, no post-CT eating, and I leave myself a few hours after CT before going to bed.

  9. #109
    thaijinx's Avatar
    thaijinx is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    How cool was that? A visit from the Godfather of Cold himself!
    Anyone notice this advice differs a bit from Dr. Kruse? Here, Ray Cronise says 'cold drives hunger' where Jack says 'cold kills hunger'. Well, in my experience, while I'm in the cold, I have absolutely zero hunger. When I warm back up, the hunger comes back with a vengeance. Does anyone else have the same feeling? I have been at the eating game for a while so I usually don't fall victim to the urge to pig-out, maybe right after a CT session would be the perfect time for that Big Ass Salad we're supposed to eat.
    Very cool! Pardon the pun.

    I've noticed one major difference in my eating habits since starting CT. I wake up in the mornings ravenously hungry... most unusual for me, since my entire life I've almost nearly always skipped breakfast.

    What an amazing learning curve this is! And, I'm really surprised at how I look forward to it.

    One question I still have though...

    shouldnt we be using CT to imitate winter? In other words, should it only be something we do for a 'season' rather than all year round?

  10. #110
    quelsen's Avatar
    quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lexington Kentucky
    Posts
    2,972
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by thaijinx View Post
    Very cool! Pardon the pun.

    I've noticed one major difference in my eating habits since starting CT. I wake up in the mornings ravenously hungry... most unusual for me, since my entire life I've almost nearly always skipped breakfast.

    What an amazing learning curve this is! And, I'm really surprised at how I look forward to it.

    One question I still have though...

    shouldnt we be using CT to imitate winter? In other words, should it only be something we do for a 'season' rather than all year round?
    personal opinion.

    if you are in range of a healthy BMI (+15%) follow the seaons.
    If not CT till you are
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

    Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

    CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66


    Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Page 11 of 70 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •