Thread: Almond Flour=no good for me! page

Eatmeat is offline Junior Member

Almond Flour=no good for me!

Shop Now
    Hello everyone,

I just started eating primal as of the new year, and I'm already down 27 lbs! One of the things I've noticed is that whenever I eat something that contains almond flour, I get horrible stomach cramps and diarrhea. I don't eat these types of things often, but confirmed it yesterday when my wife made some great blueberry/orange scones. I started feeling really bad with cramps/stomach pains, and I was racking my brains for what I ate that was out of the ordinary. I remembered having similar problems about 5-6 weeks ago when my wife had made something else containing almond flour and suspected that was the culprit. I asked my wife if the scones she made contained almond flour, and she said they did. I will definitely not be eating anything else made with almond flour, and plan to throw out what we have, but wanted to know if this was common or if anyone else has had similar problems with it. I've been able to eat things made with coconut flour with no problems, but when it's almond flour, it's bad news!

Valkyria is offline Senior Member
    My boyfriend has similar problems with all nuts so you're not the only one.
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Almond flour is terribly unhealthy, particularly baked.

Almonds have high levels of polyunsaturated fats in them. Typically, the omega 6 in almonds is protected from oxidation by the surface and the vitamin E. When you grind up almonds, you remove the protective surface and increase the surface area exponentially, greatly enhancing the nut's tendency to oxidize. THEN, you're taking highly vulnerable nut meal and subjecting it to temperatures exceeding 350 degrees F for nearly an hour.

ANY nut meal is nothing but a super calorically-dense, rancid PUFA bomb. I could make several arguments reasoning that bleached all purpose wheat flour would be better for people who aren't particularly gluten sensitive. There is no reason to use almond meal or any nut meal outside of the occasional pie crust IMO, and coconut flour, white rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch and arrowroot starch are all far healthier alternatives. All will net you less calories, less anti-nutrients and much, much, MUCH less rancid omega 6.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Tealia is offline Senior Member
    No one should be baking with almond flour anyways. You'll cause the fats to oxidize and go rancid. I recently switched to raw almond butter for this reason.
    There aren't many problems in life that can't be solved by sleeping it off, or adding more butter.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Almond flour is terribly unhealthy, particularly baked.

Almonds have high levels of polyunsaturated fats in them. Typically, the omega 6 in almonds is protected from oxidation by the surface and the vitamin E. When you grind up almonds, you remove the protective surface and increase the surface area exponentially, greatly enhancing the nut's tendency to oxidize. THEN, you're taking highly vulnerable nut meal and subjecting it to temperatures exceeding 350 degrees F for nearly an hour.

ANY nut meal is nothing but a super calorically-dense, rancid PUFA bomb. I could make several arguments reasoning that bleached all purpose wheat flour would be better for people who aren't particularly gluten sensitive. There is no reason to use almond meal or any nut meal outside of the occasional pie crust IMO, and coconut flour, white rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch and arrowroot starch are all far healthier alternatives. All will net you less calories, less anti-nutrients and much, much, MUCH less rancid omega 6.
    I wish paleo blogs and recipes sites would embrace rice flour and the others you mentioned. I cringe when I see almond flour used so freely when rice flour and tapioca starch are sooo much better than highly caloric almond flour. I get that people like low carb, but I'd rather have oodles of carbs and limit rancid nut oils.

You know the qdoba thread about contacting restaurants and stores? Works for blogs and recipes sites, too. I take all feedback I get into consideration if it's sensible and doable and something I can get down with.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I ditched almond flour for coconut flour a while ago, and I've been a fan of tapioca and potato flour/starch for ages, well before I went primal. I find that any of them provide a nicer texture than almond flour for most uses, they store better, and they don't have the nasty rancid oil issue.

Also, for those who are worried about carbs for whatever reason, coconut flour is still fairly low carb friendly (it's mostly fiber), especially when you consider how little you will use in the average recipe--a loaf of the coconut flour banana bread I bake has all of 1/2 cup of coconut flour in it, so if you say that a loaf is 8 servings, which would be a generous portion, that's only 1 tablespoon, and according to my package of coconut flour, that's a whole 4.5g of carbs.

I'm not carbphobic, so I don't worry about it anyhow, but I think it's silly that people think almond flour is so much better than coconut flour as a low carb baking option. Yes, by volume, coconut flour is higher carb, but you'll use a fraction of the amount because of the high absorption of coconut flour as compared to almond meal (for example, Elana's almond flour banana bread recipe calls for 2 cups of almond meal).

The lower volume needed also makes coconut flour a less expensive option than almond flour.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

activia is offline Senior Member
    Coconut flour isn't that great either.. its pretty high in O6. Rice flour seems like a safer choice.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Valkyria is offline Senior Member
    I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who doesn't think rice flour is that bad. I actually prefer the flavour to almond flour anyway. It makes the thing a bit more dry and crumbly maybe, but xanthan gum helps with that.
    "All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."
    Paracelsus

A Primal Twin Pregnancy

Proud mother of twin girls!