Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In a slump page

skaraminas is offline Junior Member

In a slump

Primal Fuel
    Hey everyone,

I started Paleo in the summer of 2011 and was immediately hooked. I love the concept of Paleo and fully believe in all its goodness, but I'm troubled because as much as I believe it and know how great it is, I just can't get myself to do it right. For the first few months I did great and was super focused, giving myself an occasional cheat day. Since the new year has come in, I find myself always trying to be Paleo, but I always end up eating SAD foods. I don't know where things went wrong and why I've fallen into this slump.

Admittedly, I still love eating stuff like pizza and cake and all the other stuff that isn't Paleo. But I also love eating Paleo. I know that part of my trouble keeping it up has been a combination of being in school and working, and not always being prepared, therefore having to eat out. However, when I do cheat, I don't always go overboard. I'll try pick healthier options like whole wheat breads and stuff like that. But I just can't get myself to stick to it 100% and it bothers me. I had started off so strong, and now it's going downhill. I want to find a balance between Paleo and allowing myself some of the other foods I like to eat, but in search for that balance, the SAD foods have outweighed Paleo. What do I do to get back into it and commit again?

primalkyle is offline Senior Member
    Um, you just do it. That's kind of like saying "I like wearing blue shirts, but lately I've been wearing shades of green or purple. I really want to just wear blue. How do I do it?"

activia is offline Senior Member
    Keep a journal, make a commitment, get a community that can help support you around you. Learn new recipes, work on your mind..reassociate SAD foods with negative things, and Paleo foods with positive things. Learn quick and easy solutions for quick meals..

Roasted chicken with frozen veggies, takes 5 min of prep time and is delicious
    Crockpots can be your friend, throw in the meat some water..
    Grill up some meat, steam some veggies use the juice from the meat + butter for flavor
    Omelets are quick and easy

Clean out your pantries, keep paleo friendly stuff at work..

Find out things that you can eat out that are mostly paleo.. bring your own salad dressing in a little container, get a grilled chicken salad, or get roasted chicken at grocery store, or nice salad bar... or just go with meat/veggies.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

activia is offline Senior Member
    Read a success story weekly or daily, listen/read paleo blogs
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Well to be honest it doesn't sound like you really believe Paleo is the way to go. I would suggest doing a Whole30 (or primal Whole30). No gluten-free alternatives, no paleo baked goods, just real, whole food. Tell people you're doing it and/or get someone to do it with you for accountability so you don't slip off track (or feel guilty when you do!). It wasn't until I did a Whole30 in January that I felt like I could really stick with this because I felt so good and didn't miss any of the bad stuff. I have had two cookies and one burger with a bun since then, but no other "cheats".
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    eat more fat. like a shit ton of fat. buttered coffee ftw ribeye with compound butter... the more fat the less those psuedo foods appeal to you
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Well to be honest it doesn't sound like you really believe Paleo is the way to go. I would suggest doing a Whole30 (or primal Whole30). No gluten-free alternatives, no paleo baked goods, just real, whole food. Tell people you're doing it and/or get someone to do it with you for accountability so you don't slip off track (or feel guilty when you do!). It wasn't until I did a Whole30 in January that I felt like I could really stick with this because I felt so good and didn't miss any of the bad stuff. I have had two cookies and one burger with a bun since then, but no other "cheats".
    My first time ever doing Paleo was a Whole30. And I did it and felt great and continued on in that way, and having an occasional slip.

I understand you thinking that I don't believe in Paleo because of what I just described, but I do. It's like people who say they know smoking is bad for them, but do it anyways. And I still do mostly Paleo, but lately I've always had one small thing during the day that ruins it. This is why I'm writing, because I've tried doing it again, but for some reason it hasn't been happening. My will power is kinda down in the food area lately, but I don't know how to stop it.

I know this sounds ridiculous because all I need to do is "just do it," but if solving all problems were that simple, then no one would have problems. It's obviously much easier said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    eat more fat. like a shit ton of fat. buttered coffee ftw ribeye with compound butter... the more fat the less those psuedo foods appeal to you
    I do eat fat....I'll have avocado in the morning with some eggs, and always eat the fats on my meat, and some coco butter with almonds as a snack. But I feel like it's already too much, because I am trying to lose weight.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    The problem as you so adequately put it is

Choice

Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Well to be honest it doesn't sound like you really believe Paleo is the way to go. I would suggest doing a Whole30 (or primal Whole30).
    Isn't Whole 30 like Super Paleo? What can you eat on Whole 30 that you can't on Paleo? Gluten-free alternatives aren't Paleo.

To Skaraminas, I propose that your attraction to SAD foods is a signal that your body is missing something that it was getting from those foods. If my experiences in life and on these forums have taught me anything it's that it's probably carbohydrate (probably specifically sugar), as a lot of people new to Paleo severely limit carbs. I suggest that you be more liberal with fruit and pile on the potatoes and yams.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast