Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Pan Fry A Good Steak? page

NoSaladWithoutMeat is offline Senior Member

It always comes out tough and useless!

"The penis is the male animal-flower, a soft-firm dildo, a warm dream."
    -Raymond Peat, PhD

dfast is offline Member

What do you fry it in?

I use either coconut oil or butter; a decent amount of either (or a mixture of the two). I heat it until I can smell that it's hot (if that makes sense). I like my steak super rare so fry it only for a couple of minutes on both sides.

I've also poached steak before...that made it super tender, and it was cooked the whole way through rather than bloody like it is when I fry it.

RogerDeRok is offline Member

Depends how thick it is. If it's pretty thick I usually do medium heat for 5-6 minutes per side if it's pretty thick. Comes out nice and charred on the outside but still juicy and bloody in the middle. Great w/ avocado. Fried the last one in a little olive oil and came out perfect.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

HOT pan, lots of butter. Few minutes each side, then remove and let rest a little before digging in.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member

Ha! I just posted my favorite for ribeye on the other post. But I like it seared on the outside, very pink in the middle. I find that medium heat cooks too through, and butter (even ghee) tends to really smoke at high temps.

verdilak is offline Member

I prefer cooking on the grill, with wood, charcoal, or even gas. But with that said, indoor grilling has to be done at times and I've never found a pan that I liked in regards to grilling. Often I'd sear the meat, get the outside nice and brown and finish it off in the oven. I've since bought a indoor grill, kind of like those George Forman ones but an offbrand, and I love it. I cook nearly all my meats on there, from salmon to burgers to frozen chicken to steaks. I have perfect control over the meat's doneness with the indoor grill, and I've never had it turn out a bad peice of meet.

Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
    Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
    I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

lunadam is offline Member

If you find that you can't get it how you like it you can always cook it on high heat a few minutes each side and finish it in the oven at 350 degrees for another 5 minutes.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Steak is easy for me. Hot pan. Sear one side, flip and sear the other. Done. Hell, it's usually still cold in the middle.

Rare is the easiest way to cook steak. Just gotta get a little brown on the outside and you're done.

mayness is offline Senior Member

I pan fried a steak for the first time last night, and I think that what I did worked out ok.

I used this salting method[/url] (I don't know if it helped - again, this was a first for me!) first... I did that at room temperature so the steak was almost room temp when I cooked it.

I heated some olive oil on high-ish (my stove's medium-high seems comparable to "high" on most). After rinsing the steak and patting it very dry, I seasoned it with black pepper (it's now mildly salted all the way through, so no more salt) and cooked it about 3 minutes on each side... that seemed almost dark enough on the outside, but wasn't cooked through as much as I'd like, so I turned the heat to medium-ish and cooked it another few minutes on each side until it was a nice medium done-ness.

Mine was a pretty thick steak. It seemed to cook a teeny bit more after removing it from the heat, as it rested, so make sure you aren't overcooking because of that.

My husband, who isn't a big fan of steak, said it was still one of the best he's ever had. *blush* I agree that it came out really well. I'll do it again, for sure.

"mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

Kryz is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

NoSalad: watch the juice that leaks out of the steak. I usually turn it when the top side is getting nice and juicy, cook it for another few minutes, then take it off, still juicy. Doing that has consistently resulted in medium-ish doneness, but I cut my beef on the thinner side.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast