Thread: Grape juice halva + the whole 30 page

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member

Grape juice halva + the whole 30

Primal Fuel
    Hello friends

I'm curious, would a Sunita Halva not be in line with the whole 30? I know fruit juice is not cool, but it is acceptable for cooking with so where does this sit? As far as a snack goes, it is DAMN tasty.

Ingredients:

Ground sesame seeds - 50%
    Grape juice - 45%
    Sultanas - 5%

548cal/100g
    16.9g protein/100g
    34.1g fat/100g
    Now I guess the following could be the killer - 43.3g carbs per 100g

So, what do we think?
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

Rattybag is offline Senior Member
    I love that stuff too, but if you find the one sweetened with honey, I think you'll find it has less carbs. IMO honey is better than grape juice as a sweetener.
    All things in moderation I think in the case of Halva!

Hmmmmm agree with the honey, but the whole 30 plan did say to avoid sugar in all forms, including honey. I think this one could be classed as a grey area all right.

They are an absolute taste sensation!
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Sesame seeds is the no-go here, because they are so prominent. Sesame oil is a rare indulgence, due to toxisity and bad fat problem. I would make it with soaked nuts, maybe.

That combination of nuts and grape juice made me think of primalizing Churchkhela:

About Georgia : Georgian Cuisine : Sweets : Churchkhela (Walnut Roll)
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Duly noted, I knew there would be something. I'll save it for the absolute occasional sweet treat.

Thanks

Rattybag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Sesame seeds is the no-go here, because they are so prominent. Sesame oil is a rare indulgence, due to toxisity and bad fat problem. I would make it with soaked nuts, maybe.
    I wasnt aware sesame seeds were not a good thing! They are seeds so assumed they were ok?
    So much to learn.

badbunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    That combination of nuts and grape juice made me think of primalizing Churchkhela:

About Georgia : Georgian Cuisine : Sweets : Churchkhela (Walnut Roll)
    Now why would you post that! its just too yummy to contemplate me trying to be good an all'
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

Leida is offline Senior Member
    There is a few school of thoughts on seeds/nuts. If you think about it, seeds are designed by nature not to be digested, but to go through you, exit with your droppings, sprout and give birth to a plant. Hence, most seeds and stones have built-in toxicity. It was bred out from, say, almonds, a few thousand years ago. Cherry pits have enough cyanide to warn people against making jams with the pit in as if kept too long it can be deadly. If you ever cracked apricot stones for the kernel inside, some of them are very bitter. Apple seeds... etc.

Sesame oil is recommended by Mark as a rare indulgence, not heated, basically sprinkled on top of food as a condiment to avoid evil oxidation...

Art DeVince, in his New Evolution states outright that seeds should be avoided, because they are toxic.

I presume that if seeds are treated like nuts, i.e. soaked and dried at low heat, that should help the matters...

I dunno, I am not sure, but i just in general try to avoid seeds and nuts, though would use nuts in a recipe if they are a small sprinkle. But dish made primarily from nuts or a daily snack of nuts/seeds is probably not a great idea.

Now why would you post that! its just too yummy to contemplate me trying to be good an all'
    Oops! Sorry! I have been pining for it for close to 20 years now... hoping to make it one day!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.