Thread: Is this snack from Costco a good primal choice??? page

Lolly is offline Member

Primal Fuel

i bought a variety pack of these snack bars tonight @ costco. they are peanut free, dairy free, wheat free, gluten free. basically they are nuts & dried fruit held together with cane syrup. they had samples out and the nuts tasted very fresh & crunchy & unprocessed.

i will use these as needed for pre-early morning gym fuel or when i need a snack on the go. i know they aren't a GREAT choice, but a GOOD choice? looking from opinions from more experienced primals! thanks! (click on box to see ingredients/nutrition info)

http://www.mareblunaturals.com/

AlanBradin is offline Junior Member

You can definitely do worse with pre-made bars. However, if you really want to see some great bars, check out Larabars. You can find them pretty much anywhere. I don't buy them because I'll eat them all, but if I'm out and about with nothing around, I'll pop in somewhere and get one or two.

Iceskater is offline Junior Member

Ive seen a few brands with similar ingredients-Ive just been weary about the cane syrup. Larabars taste amazing, but the main ingredients are dates so there a lot of simple sugars (18-24 grams per bar). There's one called Rebar also, made with dried vegetables and fruit.

These aren't the poorest food choice, especially since they are convenient, but they do have sugars. Try roasted nuts, jerky, hb eggs instead.

Try your own homemade primal bars. Ive recently found a dried-coconut bar called 'Oskri' and it was delicious, except for the sugar content from cane syrup. Ive managed to make a decent one with dried coconut and coconut/almond butter.

TenYearStorm Guest

There are fruit and nut bars called KIND bars that are low in fructose and relatively low in carbs. The coconut and mixed nut one is the lowest in carbs (9g net carbs I believe, most bars have at least twice that) and they are so delicious!

I don't eat these anymore but if I were less strict/didn't need to loose weight you bet I would have them around.

They do list puffed rice as the 2nd to last ingredient but for a pre-packaged bar they are truly as primal as you can get.

fbw
    fbw is offline Junior Member

i eat the cranberry-almond kind-plus bars (they have a new line of 'plus' bars that are mostly nuts and somewhat less fruit). those have macadamia nuts as well. 19g carbs per bar, and i eat one in a day for extra calories (pregnancy has given me a tolerance for about 50-100g carbs per day rather than the 0-50 i was usually getting in pre-pregnancy).

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member

Kind bars are a lifesaver for me. Being an avid climber/backpacker though, I tend to avoid eating any kind of energy bar when not engaged in some sort of intense physical activity.

Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Maravilla Guest

If they're just nuts and dried fruit, why not just throw some nuts and dried fruit of your own in a ziploc? No cane sugar, easy to carry, and takes about 5 seconds to get together... Probably cheaper too, especially if you buy the nuts at Costco!

Just a thought...

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Maravilla's got it. What is our cultural fascination (and requirement?) that somebody (read impersonal corporation) has to make a product for you to buy?

On the rare occasions that I want some energy snack food I toss some nuts, some grated coconut, and chopped dried fruit or prunes into a ziploc.

Without dissecting the minutia of sugars, I would rather have mine within a piece of food that needs to be broken down than an added, ready to dissolve cane juice.

Tucker is offline Junior Member

I'm not an advocate of processed 'snack' foods, and I agree with Maravilla, but if you just have to eat something from a wrapper you might look at questproteinbar.com. I was given some recently by a friend who liked them but was affected by the rather high amount of fiber (inulin, from chicory root). They're not too bad.