Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fancy a laugh at my expense?...... page

badbunny is offline Senior Member

Fancy a laugh at my expense?......

Primal Fuel
    I am a fit person - or so I like to think....I cycle 60 miles a week, horse ride 3 times a week, rock climb once a week. I used to lift weights at the gym but it bored me and I needed the money to spend on grass fed beef!

So I had another look at Marks free e-book, in particular "Lift Heavy Things" and decided at the weekend I would do the test to see what level I should start at.

My b/f couldn't believe it, I manage 1 whole push up...1! I went down a second time and couldn't get up again....which means I have to start on the wall pushups...you know that one that Marks says "granny might start on wall pushups" I'm only 40 FFS!

Then pull ups....I stepped on the chair and used the overhead beams in my garden, stepped off the chair and hung there...the only thing I could raise was my eyebrow....b/f fell about laughing..

I did ok on the other things and managed over 100 squats (although I feel it today).

I *thought* I was fit
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

Bron is offline Senior Member
    Fitness and strength are two very different things. Fortunately, it seems to be far easier to become stronger than fitter (Or it is for me). I'm developing muscles with minimal effort (like, one pull up every couple of days, how pathetic is that!).

AlexChaos is offline Member
    Mastering your bodyweight is not easy. Most would rather go lift heavy barbells but when it comes to pull ups or push ups, it all falls apart.

To me everything comes down to functional training. Can you pull yourself up if you need to in real life situation? Can you use your strength to get away or fight back?

It all starts with mastering bodyweight.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    With the rock climbing, I'm surprised. Consider mastering pull-ups to be a matter of life-and-death, 'cause it very well might be some day!

marthat is offline Senior Member
    My experience exactly! I can run a half marathon, but I can't completed even one "real" push-up (I'm good for a few more knee pushups), and I simply hang (while my arms and shoulders scream in protest) on the pull-up bar. I really should get into the PBF book again.....

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    biking, riding and climbing take a lot of leg. it's no surprise you killed the squats. i'll bet that you have a strong core too. luckily, your body is used to working hard, so you'll likely fly through those progressions in no time.

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badbunny View Post
    ...stepped off the chair and hung there...the only thing I could raise was my eyebrow....b/f fell about laughing..
    Ok, yeah - I LOL'd.
    For pull-ups, use a stool for your legs so you can use them to assist while your arms get stronger. Don't get discouraged - just keep trying!

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    If it makes you feel a lot better, females have proportionally weaker upper body strength than guys do, naturally, so even though marathoners who are men can do pushups/pullups, the same can totally not be said for women.

hottierockstar is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badbunny
    ...the only thing I could raise was my eyebrow....
    good thing i wasn't drinking anything or it would have come out my nose

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member
    I think "wall pushups" might be just a little too easy for you. They provide very little resistance and it's kind of awkward ending up with your nose to the drywall. Perhaps consider "counter pushups".

Go to your kitchen and position yourself at something around a 45 degree angle with your feet on the floor and your hands on the kitchen counter. It's great if you can position yourself at a concave corner as it will give you a greater range of motion.

This is kind of an intermediate step between the wall and the floor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast