Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I make tomato sauce from JUST tomatoes? page

Gadsie is offline Senior Member

How do I make tomato sauce from JUST tomatoes?

Primal Fuel
    How do I make tomato sauce from JUST tomatoes?

primalkyle is offline Senior Member
    From the first page of the forums, maybe check and ask here - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread50421.html -

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    It depends on what type of sauce you want. If you want an Italian style pasta sauce, this is how I do it as demonstrated to me.

1/2 kilo tomatoes, can be very very over ripe.
    olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan.
    2 cloves of garlic, peeled and squashed with the end of a knife but still in one piece.
    1 teaspoon/tablespoon Sugar
    Basil.

This is best in a heavy bottomed saucepan/pot. Put your olive oil in the saucepan, not too much maybe not more than a quarter of a cup. Put the garlic in and sugar, let it heat up until the sugar disappears and the garlic is soft, don't let the garlic go brown. Actually do this for as long as you can without burning. Once the sugar has disappeared and the garlic soft, put your chopped tomatoes in and let it cook fro about 2 hours on a ver low heat and pop the basil in if you like Basil.

Once cooked what you do not use can be put in the fridge, it will keep for a bout a week or freeze it.

I appreciate that this is not primal. The olive oil is heated! There is sugar! If you are battling o6 imbalance or sugar addiction maybe this is not for you. But personally I would not be losing sleep over it, but omit the sugar if you want. It is though the way people make their sauce at home in Italy. The sugar is a little controversial as it is more of a North Italian thing, but the sauce is rich and more delicious for it, I think because the sugar caramelises in the oil.
    Life. Be in it.

BygoneCat is offline Member
    I make sauce in a similar way (or at least, I used to...before giving up nightshades). To make it Paleo: I caramelized onions and a few finely grated carrots in butter in lieu of the sugar and olive oil. Adds sweetness and depth. Caramelize over low heat for a long time. If you like a chunkless sauce, zip it in the blender after it has cooked (and be careful not to overload a blender with hot sauce). After blending, add basil and any other herbs- oregano, parsley, etc.

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    im italian and make gravy a number of ways .. when i want something SIMPLE and fast its something like this:

san marzanos
    dash of salt
    dash of basil (fresh and at the end sprinkled on)
    possibly a slight splash of a good olive oil but i dont do this anymore

how can you lose? nice and simple and TASTES LIKE TOMATOES lol ..

i cant wait to make tomato salad this summer!!!!!!!!!!!
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

badbunny is offline Senior Member
    I find that a dash of balsamic vinegar adds a nice richness to a simple tomato sauce - not sure how primal that is but as its a dash - not that bothered
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Cut an X into the base of the tomatoes, drop into boiling water for a few minutes and peel.

Place the tomatoes into a pan and on a low heat, just let them go ... they'll collapse, not burn and be awesome after a few hours.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Reduce, reduce, reduce. Low heat until sauce is thick and concentrated.

I'd add a couple garlic cloves at the beginning. They'll get nice and soft, and if you wish, you can blend the whole thing when it's done. Or remove the garlic cloves. You'll still have a nice, subtle garlic flavour
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Kristy2078 Guest
    My dad has one of those food grinders that you drop tomatoes into, crank it, and out comes pulverized tomatoes (the skin and hard bits come out in a different location).

badbunny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Another recipe I have used which is particularly nice:

Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 6, 400F (200C)

Skin the tomatoes first of all by pouring boiling water over them and leaving for 1 minute, then drain and, as soon as they are cool enough to handle, slip off the skins. (Protect your hands with a cloth if necessary.) Now cut each tomato in half, around the middle rather than vertically, and place the halves in the roasting tin (cut side uppermost) and season with salt and freshly milled pepper.

After that, sprinkle on chopped garlic, distributing it evenly between the tomatoes. Follow this with a few droplets of olive oil on each one, then top each one with half a basil leaf, turning each piece of leaf over to get a coating of oil.

Now place the roasting tin in the top half of the oven and roast the tomatoes for 50-60 minutes or until the edges are slightly blackened. Then remove the tin from the oven and allow the tomatoes to cool. All this can be done several hours ahead.

Then just blitz in your food processor, you could add a dollop of heavy cream, you can also freeze in the freezer, I tend to make batches in August when my tomatoes are ripe and I have LOADS to deal with..
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast