Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (sjmc) page 2

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I didn't eat yesterday evening and it wasn't even very difficult. I enjoy going to bed with a little bit of a nagging tummy. Also, watched the first installment of the Discovery Channel frozen planet series... highly recommend.

This morning I weighed myself at the gym. Apparently I'm down 5 pounds. Yayuh. Proceeded to do overhead presses, body weight dips and side raises. Then huffed and puffed for 20 minutes on the bike. Fasted through class and work today, with a slight bought of nausea at around noon, but felt good after that. Broke a 28 hour fast at 5 pm with a monster mushroom pizza topped with beef, artichoke, olive, onion, kale, herbs, and gobs of tomato sauce. It was just so savory and meaty. Mmmm. Obligatory chia, blackberries, chocolate, and dollop of coconut oil was had as well. I'm so wonderfully full.

And it wasn't just a good food day... I was elected to my university's Phi Beta Kappa chapter!

Did half an hour of steep brisk walking and 100 push ups at the end of my fast. Then broke a 24 hour fast at about 6. I made a pretty plate of roasted eggplant, tomato, olives, and chicken. Then I had four little baby muffins made of (wait for it) 1/2 an avocado, 2 eggs, and a few tablespoons of cocoa powder. For the most part I blended it up pretty well with just a fork, but in the last photo you can see there were still lots of little avocado chunks. Noms.

Did 5 looong negative chin ups, some bent-over rows, and 2 5-minute wall sits at the gym. I friggin love wall sits. I used to be able to do 3 X 10-minutes. The record for females is something ridiculous like 12 hours. After class and office hours I came home to eat. I plan to drink a few beers tonight, so I'll have a nice 7 hour or so buffer of non-eating beforehand. I broke my 19 hour fast at 1:30 with another plate of eggplant, tomato, and chicken. Dessert was a little cake of 2 eggs, a square of bakers chocolate, and some coconut oil.

I still haven't had nuts or cheese since I started this journal. Not missing the cheese so much really. I might have daydreamt of cashews yesterday. Since I started this I've had actual dreams about accidentally eating non-Paleo foods. Last night I dreamt that I ate a starburst and panicked.

See that piece of chicken neck hangin' off the right of the plate? It's up there on my list of favorite chicken bits. What? Like you have ONE favorite chicken bit?

I had a great time hanging out at the bar last night. Two tasty beers and no eating afterward. I didn't do any formal exercise today, but I walked at least three miles around town buying laundry detergent, filling an rx, and getting a haircut. I broke a 27 hour fast at 5:30. I sauteed brussels sprouts and ground beef in ghee with some tomato paste. I love mmmeaty meals. Dessert was a 1.5 oz. serving of macadamia nuts plus chocolate and a few blackberries. I know I've been tooting my horn about not having had nuts this whole time-- this was a very conscious decision to really enjoy an actually normal serving of nuts. I definitely hit my fat quota for the day. If you were worried. = D

I did overhead presses, dips, and side raises at the gym followed by 30 minutes of biking whilst watching half of the pilot episode of Downton Abbey. I get it now. If I'd known it had Maggie Smith I would've watched it from the start! Broke a 19 hour fast at 1:30. I'm planning on drinking some tonight at a party so I ate a little earlier. I don't have class on Fridays, so I have a lot of choice as to when to eat. And it really does feel like that: like a choice.

I made a three-egg kale, tomato, roasted red bell pepper + chorizo scramble. Om nom nom. For dessert it was back to chia land.

**Edited to add: Around 5:30 I was feeling really low on energy. I went ahead and had a reasonable, I repeat: reasonable, amount of pistachios. With the shells on. As it should be. But I'm refrashed and raring to go. (Father of the Bride part 2 anyone?)

Last edited by sjmc; 03-23-2012 at 02:59 PM.

It's been quite some time since I've written here. I graduated and moved to Amsterdam to study logic. I weigh more now, which I hate. I don't cook nearly as much here. For one thing, there's no oven. For another, I'm a weirdo and only use the kitchen early in the morning before my flatmate gets up. (But damn, my old meals look great, don't they?)

I don't have any particular goal like I did the first time around. I'd love to be my skinny old self, but I've been wishing that for about two years now. I still eat once a day, most days. Maybe I shouldn't, since it doesn't seem to "work" for me, but it works for me.

This morning after two instant espressos and an episode of Ally McBeal (I go through Robert Downey Jr. cycles, and in working my way through some of his earlier work, including a stint on the show, I discovered that it's a freaking great show), I headed to the gym.

3 rounds of:
    Row 1 km
    10 push ups
    Run 1 km
    10 push ups

For the meal, around 1, I had a mozzarella salad with lots of greens, an avocado and balsamic, and sliced cheese and chicken roll ups. A little while ago I also had a mug of shredded coconut with cinnamon for no good reason. But it was really good.

Now I'm going to go giant picture crazy !!! First up, some of the eats that I have made using my shitty stovetop and/or microwave (Note all the tupperware. Cook in the morning, eat in the afternoon. I'm serious about my reclusiveness):

Mashed cauliflower with mushrooms; coconut four dusted chicken and avocado.

Beef, kale, and broccoli coconut curry with a hard-boiled egg.

Return of the avocado cake.

And now some miscellany. I had a Secret Sinterklaas exchange with some friends, wrapped my gift from scratch beautifully, and got scolded for showing up without it hidden (what?).

My best doodles: The squares one lay dormant in my drawer for a few months, and I only recently finished it. The triangles were made during an especially boring AI class last year.

Conclude mega post. = D

Felt good at the gym today. Every few days I've been doing this new routine where I go back and forth between the treadmill and the rower. Today it was:

2 km running, 10 push ups
    1 km rowing, 10 push ups
    1 km running, 10 push ups
    1 km rowing, 10 push ups
    1 km running, 10 push ups

I felt strong rowing. After the second go on the rower I had that great, totally spent, 'my face has a heartbeat' feeling. On the push ups I tried the "cambered hand" style that I read about recently (three areas of the hand touch the ground, instead of even distribution across palm and fingers ... hard to explain in few words, google) and liked it.

Finished up with 3x10 lat raises with 6 kg, some of those 'front raises' (??), and a few more bouts of push ups interspersed. Fought the urge to do dips, since I can really tell when I do them too often. And two days in a row would be too often.

Then cycled to the outdoor market and got a loooot of tasty grilled chicken and cheapo strawberries that I ate at home along with an avocado cake (one avocado, 2 eggs, cocoa powder).

Now I've got some yogi aztec tea and a new episode of Grey's Anatomy to watch on the internet. Ahhhhh.

Did dips the other day. Probably about 40 (I should count...) Best set was 8.

Today:
    3 km row
    3 km run
    1 km row
    1 km run
    1 km row

I decided a final km running to make 10 total was not worth completely ripping open the small tear developing on the side of my foot. Maybe next time I'm going for distance I'll wear socks . The rowing felt great, I picked it up big time during the choruses listening to my iPod. After a while I'm consistently sweating so much that holding onto the handle is tricky business.

I accidentally woke up at 5 this morning. I was also hella hungry since I'd eaten at noon the day before. I don't think it would've been an issue except that my stomach might have been confused as to why on earth I was up at all. I couldn't fall back asleep, so I watched an episode of The West Wing. I really enjoyed the Newsroom, and I read that Newsroom fans will like The West Wing since Aaron Sorkins wrote the first four seasons. It's basically the same show. First plot device: have someone's ex-girlfriend get hired behind his back. Much later when Josh's secretary Donna started telling him to "gather ye rosebuds" I flipped out. Anyway, I'm lovin' it. What a cast!

So I just piddled around until the gym opened. Sometime after my two cups of coffee I realized I had been singing this joke youTube song in my head. It's about dogs that like socks, and it has this crazy double kick drum. It's not where your brain is supposed to be at that time of day. Or ever, really.

At the gym:
    4 X 2X10 lat pull downs at 40 kg
    40 dips, best set was 9
    10 minutes on that cardio machine that feels like running through sand, in the air. (?) (not an elliptical)

Confession: I watched the entirety of the first season of The West Wing in 2 days.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    OK. Trying hard for awhile. Countin' calories 'n shit.

Yesterday I poached 1 kg of chicken breasts, micro'd 1 kg of sweet potatoes, hard boiled 10 eggs, and cooked a head of broccoli. I'm gonna see if I can make this last at least 4 days (cooking more veggies of course, I've got a cabbage hanging around). Today I ate all the broccoli, one of the chicken breasts (200 g), one of the sweet potatoes (250 g), and 2 of the eggs. Cronometer tells me that that's 690 calories. It's an even split between fat and protein 40%, with 20% fat at just 17 g. I was chewing for an hour and a half.

This morning I had two "cappuccinos" which I put in quotes because they are small ones out of an unmanned machine and I'm not going to bother counting them so, uh, shoot me. Around 1 o'clock I went to the gym and ran for 30 minutes and did 50 push ups while stretching. I ate at 3. Will eat again at 5 tomorrow, most likely.

I think tomorrow I will also go ahead and pick up some fruit, maybe some non-fat yogurt to dip it in too, as long as I'm doing this whole calorie restriction thing and not worrying about carbs. Though, look at me, hehe, so low calorie that I'm eating 40% carbs and still at only 70g of them. We'll see how long that lasts though. The fact is that I've just been getting fatter and fatter for two years and if there's something "the matter" with me this won't make it any worse.

West Wing season 6 is SO GOOD.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast