Thread: Chicken innards question page

leggaj5 is offline Junior Member

Chicken innards question

Primal Fuel
    Hello all, I'm in the process of baking a whole chicken stuffed with vegetables and pork shoulder chunks, but before I stuffed the chicken I pulled out what I believe is a liver and maybe a kidney. I'm sure these are edible, but I'm not sure what the protocol is as far as preparing them (especially the liver which is a decent size, but not enough to make a meal of). Any suggestions?

Aliophile is offline Senior Member
    I've got a new bunch of gizzards too : ) usually you'll get a heart or two, kidney, liver and sometimes a neck (with turkeys) these are GrEAT sauteed in a pan with some lovely salted butter. Sautee them lightly as you don't want them to turn rubbery. You could add some fresh sage leaves and fresh rosemary needles and fresh ground black pepper to the sautee, then finish it all off with some finely ground sea salt at the end of cooking. They make A delicious little side to your meal. You can use necks in making stock but I wouldn't recommend using the giblets for stock as the iron taste can sour your broth.

Let me know if you enjoy them!
    Last edited by Aliophile; 03-12-2012 at 01:57 PM.
    || 2/28/12 || 5'6" || 144 lbs ||
    My goals: 125 lbs, 27" waist, fat-free, shapely, muscular legs
    AND to be able to do my very first pull up!

denasqu is offline Senior Member
    Usually the innards are a neck, gizzards, liver, and heart. I'd fry up the liver with some onions for breakfast and throw the rest in a pot and make a soup.

I forgot to check for that stuff last night when I threw a whole chicken in a pressure cooker to make soup. I was pretty surprised to find a plastic bag of innards when I pulled the chicken out of the pot 30 minutes later.
    "If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?" - Tom Snyder, talk show host

Thanks for suggestion...I will definitely cook up some liver and onions this week (my dad's least favorite dish growing up!)

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I use the neck on the base to add to the stock as I am cooking the bird.
    The rest I often use as a flavour base in the stuffing.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    you could also throw ALL of it in a stock, and feed the innards (sans neck) to the pets. my cats love it!

jakey is offline Senior Member
    i think all the innards that come with chicken taste delicious, and boil well. gizzards will need to be boiled a lot longer than the other stuff. if they gave you kidneys... i'll be honest, i cannot eat kidneys from any animal. they smell terrible and taste even worse - to me!

Cin
    Cin is offline Member
    Put them in the bottom of the pan with onions and spices, garlic, etc. and some water or stock -- makes your sauce amazing.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Gizzards! Chuck it all in a stock and blend! Awesome

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Buying whole chickens is extremely affordable and delicious, so I should have a lot of opportunities to try stuff out in the future.