Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: About Switching to Primal from Atkins page

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member

About Switching to Primal from Atkins

Hello,

I have been doing low-carb eating since the beginning of January and have lost 10 pounds. I think that is great and have about 15 to go.

Looking for recipes led me to some primal/paleo blogs and so the research began and now my interest in primal eating. I will order the book, but in the meantime I have a couple of questions.

I am losing slowly which is fine, but I don't want to stop losing. If I up the amount of carbs I am eating currently to the 50 recommended for primal weight loss I am concerned that it will stall me altogether.

Anyone have experience and advice with this kind of transition?

J.

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member
    Don't worry about the scales! I, too, am an Atkins convert, and I feel much better than I ever did while doing Atkins. The thing is, like Atkins, to make this thing work properly, you HAVE to exercise. When you're exercising and eating healthy, you will get fit and you will gain muscle. So, you might gain weight, but you'll lose inches. I currently weigh 130#, up from 125# when I changed over from LC. I love it! I'm still a size 4, but I don't have jiggly arms or thighs anymore. My jeans are actually a bit looser than they were.

Don't worry about what the scale says. Worry about building your strength, getting fitter. Diet is a huge part of that, but when you're as close as you are to what you considered your perfect size, don't be surprised if you find yourself with a smokin' hot body and weighing more than you do now.

This picture is a perfect example of the difference building your muscles can make:
    Deb155lbs.jpg
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

dbalch is offline Senior Member
    I owe a lot to Atkins. It really got me started on my healthy diet journey and it's where I first conquered by sugar/refined carb addiction.

but I don't think Atkins understood whole foods, and as I recall, he never addressed the issue of grass fed, pastured meats vs. factory feedlot meats.

Remember, weight loss is not everything!! You need to feed your body the proper nutrients otherwise you will be at risk from all the diseases of civilization.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbalch View Post
    I owe a lot to Atkins. It really got me started on my healthy diet journey and it's where I first conquered by sugar/refined carb addiction.

but I don't think Atkins understood whole foods, and as I recall, he never addressed the issue of grass fed, pastured meats vs. factory feedlot meats.

Remember, weight loss is not everything!! You need to feed your body the proper nutrients otherwise you will be at risk from all the diseases of civilization.
    agreed. I wasn't obese, or anything, maybe a little overweight, but I was deemed borderline diabetic when I tried going into the service years ago. I was doing the whole wheat dingus, too; trying to lower my fat; listened to a quack, like Neal Barnhardt, etc.

kkarrolle is offline Senior Member
    If I remember correctly it's actually 50gms to 100gms for weight loss and 100gms to 150gms for maintenance.
    Achieving goals takes a backbone not a wishbone

voyaging is offline Junior Member
    my carbs very rarely go about 30, and I'm not losing weight!!! goddammit. I have noticed a shape change though, so I'm a little mollified

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I got sick and tired of the low carb paradigm & switched to intermittent fasting and calorie cycling. Some days I eat a lot, other days I do full blown Atkins with no carbs ie the Atkins Fat Fast. Every day I fast 19 hours or so:
    PDF Ebook The Fast-5 Diet and the Fast-5 Lifestyle | Free PDF Ebooks Files @AcrobatPlanet.Com

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    If I up the amount of carbs I am eating currently to the 50 recommended for primal weight loss I am concerned that it will stall me altogether.
    So lets say you up your carbs and you stall? So? Now you know that you've stalled and it's time to change it up. Have you stalled with atkins?

What do you do for exercise? How often do you exercise?

MrsC is offline Member
    Atkins doesn't recommend that you stay super low carb once you're past the Induction Phase. There is the carb ladder, where you gradually add in foods until you reach what he terms your "critical carbohydrate level", which is the amount of carbs you can consume daily and still lose weight. This fits in quite well with Primal.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Don't be afraid of whole food carb sources. Apples, sweet potatoes, peaches, etc. They're low calorie and pretty satiating and could definitely help you break a stall.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast